Are these just flies or pests?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Does anyone know if these flies are some sort of pest? For the past few days I see them constantly on my peppers and a few other plants. And am starting to notice what looks like leaf miner damage on some leaves, you can see it in the bottom picture to the left of the fly.

PXL_20230629_114027520.MP.jpg

PXL_20230629_114041824.MP.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I don't believe I have ever seen flys of any kind damage a plant. Most are pollinators.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
These are a couple leaf miner adults. There are a ton of different kinds though that all look different.

download.jpeg

download (1).jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
There's also onion maggot flies

View attachment 97963
I have always thought leaf miners came from moths but appearently they come from moths, sawflies, beetles and flies. I have rarely ever seen enough damage from miners to worry about it though.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have always thought leaf miners came from moths but appearently they come from moths, sawflies, beetles and flies. I have rarely ever seen enough damage from miners to worry about it though.

I agree they don't cause a lot of damage that's why I am not worried, just curious if that is what they are. Either way I think I'll get some of that sticky fly paper stuff and hang it around the garden. I'd prefer not letting them munch on my peppers and cannabis plants lol.

I have never had maggots in my onions. I don't know if they are in Texas or not.

I've never had them either but flies can for sure be pests and cause damage.

Ask a Question