What is going on with my aloe?

Reaction score
Country
United States
IMG_0859.JPG
So I decided to take a shot at rooting aloe leaves from my large healthy aloe. (I know it's pretty rare for them to actually take root but I thought I'd give it a shot!) I cut the leaves at an angle and dipped them in honey as a rooting hormone and then put them upright into cactus and succulent soil. It's been a week and a half and something other than aloe is growing?? What?? Any ideas as to what happened?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
good luck with the cuttings ;)offsets are a lot easier than taking leaf cuttings but its free. Did you leave the cutting dry out for a week to prevents the wound from becoming infected before planting?..... Now they are in I'd leave them what ever. The honey rooting hormone Helps. Keep pretty Dry Till you see growth (Just about moist) Fingers Crossed(y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Any tips on getting the aloe to take root?
As Daren said its easier to grow from offsets, Growing plant from leaf generally work for cactus, but aloe vera is too fleshy, it will rot faster than regenerating new roots.
It may required lots of patience, you said its about a week and there are not sign of rotting then its good.

Best idea is to keep the aloe vera in larger pot, to give it space to shoot out some offsets.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
As Daren said its easier to grow from offsets, Growing plant from leaf generally work for cactus, but aloe vera is too fleshy, it will rot faster than regenerating new roots.
It may required lots of patience, you said its about a week and there are not sign of rotting then its good.

Best idea is to keep the aloe vera in larger pot, to give it space to shoot out some offsets.

Hi, yes I realize aloe are most easy to propagate using offsets but I wasn't able to find any :( It is in a very large pot as well. I did leave the cutting out to dry and callus over before putting it in the soil and it seems like sometimes people have luck with it and sometimes they don't. I'll give it a couple more weeks and go from there ☺️

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I don't know if this is right or wrong, I have a hypothesis.
Plant grows and produce seeds when they are at favorable condition,if we trim them continuously they might switch to survival mode, try to grow, and do not produce seeds.

I suggest give the plant some time, let it grow.

when it attend its max growth it might produce offsets or even bud flower.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I think your aloe is looking pretty good so far. (y)

No clue about the alien seedling. Post back when it gets bigger!

Ask a Question