What have I done?!?!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a-8b
Country
United States
Well, let me start by saying this: I've been gardening most of my life. With that said I had a moment to say the least. By some sort of sorcery, all of my lettuce, collard, carrot, broccoli, and arugula seeds got mixed together in one bag. So in my moment I just planted the entire grab-bag in my raised beds. Now I have a very nutritious jungle of awesome growing. Everything is mixed, but growing well, very well actually. It would take me a month of Sunday's to divide them all. Soooo, what should I do?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Marc, that is called "serendipity" (unexpected happiness). Just let everything grow! If the lettuces are crowded, thin them and eat the thinnings, along with baby carrots and the extra broccoli plants. Baby broccoli leaves are a great addition to a salad.
Think of your garden as "mesclun on steroids"!(y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yes, EAT!!
As a side note, is that an uncropped Cane Corso in your avatar? If not, what breed of dog?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
This thead gave me a big laugh, hahahaaa. But no worry, at least you have planted the mixed seeds and now you know what those seeds are. And maybe you can just uproot some and replant them in another bed. But if you said they are growing well and looking healthy then you might as well just leave them like that and take its photo so we can see your jungle. No offense, just feeling funny.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
@marlingardener Thanks for explaining the word `Serendipity". I once got a client who used that word on me and to say the least completly scared me off the project. About the mix at the garden, I would think it will be a wonderful variety of plants growing together. Let them be.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Mint, you are most welcome for the explanation. We actually thought of naming our little farm "Serendipity" but everyone could spell "Red Gate Farm." more easily!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Well, let me start by saying this: I've been gardening most of my life. With that said I had a moment to say the least. By some sort of sorcery, all of my lettuce, collard, carrot, broccoli, and arugula seeds got mixed together in one bag. So in my moment I just planted the entire grab-bag in my raised beds. Now I have a very nutritious jungle of awesome growing. Everything is mixed, but growing well, very well actually. It would take me a month of Sunday's to divide them all. Soooo, what should I do?

I really like "your moment" Marc!!;) Throwing caution to the wind and seeds into the garden!!!!:LOL: I bet it looks great, luscious and busy. I think I might try it. Then pick a handful as a surprise pack for dinner.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Darn it! You beat me to a greeeeat idea Marc. I had to go back and read it all over again. I'm still laughing and wondering how I missed doing that. I'm just adding my support to what everyone said before. No worries about cleaning up and being neat and stuff. Just eat as you go along and it should all work out just fine. Good going man.

Ask a Question