What happens if you don't loosen the rootball of a tree?(from a pot)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
the dripping water during the day----first aide. Actually, I would sprinkle Epsom salt around it. Still focusing on what she did.
ES can't hurt anything but what good will adding more water to an already wet plant do except distribute the ES

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
@Chuck your saying its already wet. I did not say its already wet. I just said I prefer ES, latter has nothing to do with the topic at hand. I have my method of watering , and you have your method. Leaving for work now. Have a great day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Chuck your saying its already wet. I did not say its already wet. I just said I prefer ES, latter has nothing to do with the topic at hand. I have my method of watering , and you have your method. Leaving for work now. Have a great day.
I thought the topic at hand was the tree the OP planted with all of the cut roots and if it was planted surely it was well watered in. As for ES I use it on everything

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So should I use Epsom salt or super thrive??
Also, does that mean I have to keep the running water hose on my newly planted trees for 6 hours? My hose does not have a shower head btw, we lost it. I'm asking cuz I usually do it like a minute and a half and it still floods a lot

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
...snip...
I'm asking cuz I usually do it like a minute and a half and it still floods a lot
Oh, Heruga, you just don't believe in half measures, do you? Everything is "Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead!!"

You can't go full bore with gardening. It is not an extreme sport. If you are flooding the area in a minute and a half, turn down the water pressure, you'll wash your soil away!!

A slow drip = a trickle = water barely even on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So should I use Epsom salt or super thrive??
Also, does that mean I have to keep the running water hose on my newly planted trees for 6 hours? My hose does not have a shower head btw, we lost it. I'm asking cuz I usually do it like a minute and a half and it still floods a lot
If you haven't already watered in the tree, water VERY SLOWLY, barely a drip coming out of the hose. You can also sprinkle Epsom Salt around the plant too. After this is done and the soil is deeply saturated all you can do is wait and see what the tree does. If it starts to go downhill we will go to plan B

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@Heruga, for right now, my advice is to give the poor tree a minute to catch its breath. It has been taken from a pot in which it was very comfortable, had its roots slashed :eek: , and been planted in foreign soil.

Any plant which is transplanted goes through an adjustment period, and it might look bad for a couple weeks. It is in shock - and they ALL do that, whether you did it right or not. . . You can water it, you can feed it nutrients, you can baby-talk it, but right now, it just needs a couple weeks to get over what has happened to it.

As long as you have watered it thoroughly, MY advice would be to ignore it completely for at least 2 weeks. Maybe 4. .. .. It needs time.

Sorry, but you seem to go crashing in where angels fear to tread. Be patient. Do not try to fix it so much that you wind up breaking it. If you are not absolutely sure what the problem is, don't try to fix it!!

As for right now, you have done what you can. Give it at least 3 weeks, Then, if all is not well, bump this thread, and ask for advice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Heruga, for right now, my advice is to give the poor tree a minute to catch its breath. It has been taken from a pot in which it was very comfortable, had its roots slashed :eek: , and been planted in foreign soil.

Any plant which is transplanted goes through an adjustment period, and it might look bad for a couple weeks. It is in shock - and they ALL do that, whether you did it right or not. . . You can water it, you can feed it nutrients, you can baby-talk it, but right now, it just needs a couple weeks to get over what has happened to it.

As long as you have watered it thoroughly, MY advice would be to ignore it completely for at least 2 weeks. Maybe 4. .. .. It needs time.

Sorry, but you seem to go crashing in where angels fear to tread. Be patient. Do not try to fix it so much that you wind up breaking it. If you are not absolutely sure what the problem is, don't try to fix it!!

As for right now, you have done what you can. Give it at least 3 weeks, Then, if all is not well, bump this thread, and ask for advice.
Good advise

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Ok so I bought some epsom salt and sprinkled over the trees and watered it. Hopefully that goes well.
And ok I'll try that Mary, but I even on hot dry days where the soil gets really dry, I shouldn't water?

Ask a Question