What happens if you plant something in a hole thats not wide enough?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Like something from out of those plastics pots like a hydrangea or small maple trees. Will the roots not establish and eventually die?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
The new baby needs the extra wider hole to have the soil loosened up around it so its new roots will not have to work as hard to start growing. It makes your success rate 100%. Could it die, who knows, depends on the plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I think the roots would be strangled...plant would probably eventually do OK but its growth would definitely be retarded. In other words at three years after planting, it would be at a one-year replant stage.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
it is apparent @Heruga that your new to gardening. and in a rush to get it done. Even after 27 years of gardening on this property I take my time. Prior to buying any new plants, I research it, note the area that they will live on if it is an area they like, if I have no area for something I do no buy it. Will it work with plants near, is the sun enough or too much etc. After I purchase my plants, they are then set out in that area---still in the pots. I then continue to make sure it works well in that spot. And I make sure the hole is dug big and the earth loosened up well when put back into the hole around the new baby. A good garden takes years to happen. It is not just a season. Haste makes waste my friend, especially when it comes to gardening.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
it is apparent @Heruga that your new to gardening. and in a rush to get it done. Even after 27 years of gardening on this property I take my time. Prior to buying any new plants, I research it, note the area that they will live on if it is an area they like, if I have no area for something I do no buy it. Will it work with plants near, is the sun enough or too much etc. After I purchase my plants, they are then set out in that area---still in the pots. I then continue to make sure it works well in that spot. And I make sure the hole is dug big and the earth loosened up well when put back into the hole around the new baby. A good garden takes years to happen. It is not just a season. Haste makes waste my friend, especially when it comes to gardening.
Yea you're right, I actually just started recently and in the process of trying to learn from my current garden that I'm interning at. But I guess you are right, I am kinda rushing because I want to see results fast but I know gardening doesn't work like that. But I do research the plants though, but maybe I should go more in depth. Thanks for the advice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It is also important not to plant too deep, especially with trees. The root flare should be visible. The root flare is where the roots begin on the trunk and should be slightly above soil level. On other plants, with the exception of tomatoes, this also applies. By planting too deep the soil will abrade the stem causing it to rot and the plant die.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It is also important not to plant too deep, especially with trees. The root flare should be visible. The root flare is where the roots begin on the trunk and should be slightly above soil level. On other plants, with the exception of tomatoes, this also applies. By planting too deep the soil will abrade the stem causing it to rot and the plant die.
Can you still put mulch over it though? Everywhere I go I see everyone put mulch like at least 5 inches above the surface of the rootball covering the trunk. And I'm not sure if thats the right thing to do either

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Can you still put mulch over it though? Everywhere I go I see everyone put mulch like at least 5 inches above the surface of the rootball covering the trunk. And I'm not sure if thats the right thing to do either
Keep the mulch away from the trunk of trees and from the root flare

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Keep the mulch away from the trunk of trees and from the root flare
Ok will do. Is it though because it suffocates the plant? Or is it because if too much moisture is trapped then the root can rot? I really wonder why so many people build a volcano mulch around the trunk..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Ok will do. Is it though because it suffocates the plant? Or is it because if too much moisture is trapped then the root can rot? I really wonder why so many people build a volcano mulch around the trunk..
Mainly it is the moisture being trapped in the bark but also suffocation. Why folks do it? I guess no one ever told them not to. Most people don't know what a root flare is much less how to plant a tree. I see advertisements on TV (scotts I think) where a couple is planting a container tree and when they put it in the hole it is about 4 inches too deep. http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/video/0,,20789162,00.html

I found this video which will give a fair picture of how to mulch a tree

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
That was such a useful video. Thanks. Wow then I guess all those people planting their trees in their yard have no idea what they're doing. But I thought the mulch's primary purpose was to retain moisture and keep the plants from drying out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That was such a useful video. Thanks. Wow then I guess all those people planting their trees in their yard have no idea what they're doing. But I thought the mulch's primary purpose was to retain moisture and keep the plants from drying out.
It is. In a perfect world you would mulch out to the drip line.
Here is a question for you. Does it make any difference in what shape your hole is for planting a tree? Round or square?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
It is. In a perfect world you would mulch out to the drip line.
Here is a question for you. Does it make any difference in what shape your hole is for planting a tree? Round or square?
I would say a square hole because it give the extra space in the corners?

Ask a Question