What happened to my garlic?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I planted 7000 cloves in the Falls on a newly cleared and tilled level, flat field.

Snow is melted and I find all the cloves and the green spouts sitting on top of the dirt.

I am so upset.

Did I mess up? Any ideas what went wrong? Can I plant them back into the soil now?

Here are pictures and a video:

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Can I plant them back into the soil now?
Yes, and the sooner the better. They look to be very much alive.

Just looking at the picture it looks like a fairly strong current went through there.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
You didn't mess up, but you will have to get them back in.

7,000 is a lot, most I've ever planted was 5,000 :eek:

Reaction score
Country
Australia
They have sprouted so I would leave the sprout very near the surface. They should survive and you can mulch up their stems as they grow.
Not sure of what you mean by the 'Falls', but if you mean in early autumn, I would be tempted to plant them in early Spring instead.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you everyone for your help.

I pushed them back in, and hopefully they'll be okay.

I meant Fall (as in autumn).

I understand they needed to be planted deeper and mulched -- didn't know that then, but now I do.

But I remain confused about how to prepare the dirt.

I just cleared that area of trees/bushes/shrubs prior to planting, and then pulled a PTO tiller behind a tractor to break up the heavy clay (with lots of stones) soil. I don't know if I tilled too much and/or too deep.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
As you go forward, it would be beneficial to get as much organic matter as possible into that heavy soil. Composted animal manure and green manures e.g. cover crops are both excellent sources of what your soil needs.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As you go forward, it would be beneficial to get as much organic matter as possible into that heavy soil. Composted animal manure and green manures e.g. cover crops are both excellent sources of what your soil needs.
Good idea, it will also help to hold the soil together now there are no trees doing it, it does look like it was washed away.

Ask a Question