What happened to my hedge?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a berberis rose glow hedge that I bought bare rooted in February and up until two days ago it was completely healthy, vibrant and growing really well. Now suddenly some of the bushes have curled up and appear to be dead or dying. I can't believe how quickly it has changed. Is this some kind of plant disease? Is there any way I can cure it or stop it spreading to the health bushes?
20230614_212900s.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for the reply.

I've had a careful look at the plants, even with a microscope, and I can't see any bugs on them. The leaves are brown and crispy dry and crumble when touched. It's not from lack of water, the soil is surprisingly damp. Amazing how quickly they went from healthy to being like that.

I've trimmed off as much of the the dead foliage as I can. When I cut the stems they are still bright green inside, so maybe there is a chance they will recover.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
It's possible that whatever caused the damage has gone and I don't think Berberis suffers from blight. So for me it remains a mystery. You were right to remove the damaged areas and hopefully it will now recover.

Ask a Question