What does your garden look like ... Today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Rained again last night. I am getting in one garden section and taking out some ground cover to toss in trash. it was my mistake, hope I can get most of it. soil nice and wet. roots shallow. I think its a forever chore for me each year to just dig out and toss.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
We've not had a lot of luck with the azaleas which I bought to hide the big tub in the miiddle bed. The idea is that we can change one tub for another with something else in it, if we choose

I'd wanted it surrounded with the same variety of azaleas but couldn't get four the same, so the one at the back though a similar color flowers a month later than the others. The wires are to gently to persduade them to grow upwards rather than outwards.

P1040046.JPG

Then early this year the one on the left died and I was only able to get two similar small ones to replace it.

P1050108.JPG

Then later the one at the back up and died on me! They've never been short of water.

Couldn't find any acers for love nor money at either local garden centres.
So I bought a totally different one on eBay that arrived today.

P1050312.JPG

I've spaced out the two I bought earlier to fill the gaps.

P1050314.JPG

I'm encouraging with a wire, the one on the left to grow towards the new one to fill this gap. I'll try to get the new one to spread to the left as it grows.

P1050313.JPG

I gave them all some root booster and some more soil and compost mix and a good watering.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Reaching the end of the azalea and rhodo flowering season.

Our azaleas to one side of the patio.

We've let them "do their own thing," for the more than two decades they've been there.

There's no uniformity like in much of the rest of the garden, though I do prune off bits if they protrude too far over the patio. Some are now reaching the top of the fence. They give 'arry the hedgehog's house protection from the sun.

P1000323.JPG

These are the sorry looking reduced to clear wilting rhodos, I bought in Aldi a couple of years ago. They don't water their plants due to "'elf n' safety." "They've rewarded my kindness."

P1000321.JPG

Our two "tree azaleas," in ceramic pots. When they've finished flowering, I'll shape them up a bit.

P1000318.JPG

P1000319.JPG

This is our tortoiseshell rhodo. We bought this and the one to the right of it fifteen years or more ago, when they were reduced to half price, as any blooms they had, had frost burn. They started off both the same size, but this one "bolted."
Over the years I've pruned off the lower branches as they stuck out too far over the lawn. It has a wire around it to stop it spreading any more. It's always the last one to flower and there will be a lot of blooms.

P1000320.JPG

The roses on the new patio are taking over "flowering duties."

P1000322.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
Reaching the end of the azalea and rhodo flowering season.

Our azaleas to one side of the patio.

We've let them "do their own thing," for the more than two decades they've been there.

There's no uniformity like in much of the rest of the garden, though I do prune off bits if they protrude too far over the patio. Some are now reaching the top of the fence. They give 'arry the hedgehog's house protection from the sun.

View attachment 90002

These are the sorry looking reduced to clear wilting rhodos, I bought in Aldi a couple of years ago. They don't water their plants due to "'elf n' safety." "They've rewarded my kindness."

View attachment 90003

Our two "tree azaleas," in ceramic pots. When they've finished flowering, I'll shape them up a bit.

View attachment 90004

View attachment 90005

This is our tortoiseshell rhodo. We bought this and the one to the right of it fifteen years or more ago, when they were reduced to half price, as any blooms they had, had frost burn. They started off both the same size, but this one "bolted."
Over the years I've pruned off the lower branches as they stuck out too far over the lawn. It has a wire around it to stop it spreading any more. It's always the last one to flower and there will be a lot of blooms.

View attachment 90006

The roses on the new patio are taking over "flowering duties."

View attachment 90007
@Sean Regan, This is the first time that I have seen tree azaleas.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Redtwig dogwood started blooming

IMG_5524 copy.jpg

IMG_5538 copy.jpg

Eastern red columbine
IMG_5592 copy.jpg

The woodland pollinator strip along my driveway is starting to bloom.
IMG_5550 copy.jpg

Ask a Question