What does your garden look like ... Today?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Been out in the garden quite a bit today. Here's some more photos from today.

Turns out, BOTH of my Lobelia species started blooming today. Great Blue Lobelia.
IMG_1208 copy.jpg

Joe Pye Weed
IMG_1215 copy.jpg

Spring Azure butterfly on Joe Pye Weed.
IMG_1254 copy.jpg

Rattlesnake Master
IMG_1257 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
We've got a lot of colour in our garden... Green!
That's the penalty of a low maintenance one.
Ours is more a Spring garden and once the hebes, wisterias, azaleas and rhodos have flowered, we've only roses, the lilies and some fuchias together with the patio roses for the rest of the year.

The wisterias are full of leaf and few secondary blooms, despite being cut back to just two or three buds in Januray.

P1010810.JPG

The ones on the pergiola on the pergola at the back of the house afford some shade for our lounge.

P1010808.JPG

The ones on the side of the garage are doing welll.

P1010809.JPG

P1010811.JPG

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Various photo's of my experimental hummingbird and butterfly garden in Northern Michigan.

I know first hand they love that scarlet bee balm! Seems like every time I'm in my garden, at least one flies up and drinks the nectar from it. Other hummingbird magnets include Eastern Red Columbine, Foxglove Beardtongue, Cardinal Flower, Great Blue Lobelia, and Mexican Sunflower.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 and 4
Country
United States
Yeah the Jacob Cline is very popular for them. My place in northern Michigan I'm going to plant some more at the end of the season when it's on sale. I found that within two years I can divide a clump and it will spread well. I've got it at both my home and my place up north. I'm just amazed at the number of butterflies in Michigan this year. The wild milkweed has gone crazy in our fields.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm just amazed at the number of butterflies in Michigan this year.

I've been hearing native gardeners, ecologists, and biologists across the midwest say they've seen a large number of Monarchs this summer. The same thing has been true in my native garden. Tons of monarchs this year. Not too many Swallowtails yet, but that usually picks up around this time of year.

Earlier this week, I was walking a recreational path through a fairly young prairie and wetland restoration and the number of butterflies was ridiculous. I counted about ten different species, and not a moment went by during the three mile walk where I didn't see at least one flying around.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 and 4
Country
United States
I've been hearing native gardeners, ecologists, and biologists across the midwest say they've seen a large number of Monarchs this summer. The same thing has been true in my native garden. Tons of monarchs this year. Not too many Swallowtails yet, but that usually picks up around this time of year.

Earlier this week, I was walking a recreational path through a fairly young prairie and wetland restoration and the number of butterflies was ridiculous. I counted about ten different species, and not a moment went by during the three mile walk where I didn't see at least one flying around.

My family has owned the property up north since the 80s. Growing up I have never seen so many butterflies as I've seen this summer. I mean it's absolutely unbelievable. Here in the city I'm just a couple houses off in Inland Lake and many of my neighbors have planted native plants and the butterflies and hummingbirds are even higher in numbers than I've ever seen before.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
My family has owned the property up north since the 80s. Growing up I have never seen so many butterflies as I've seen this summer. I mean it's absolutely unbelievable. Here in the city I'm just a couple houses off in Inland Lake and many of my neighbors have planted native plants and the butterflies and hummingbirds are even higher in numbers than I've ever seen before.

Please share your luck with us. We only only salivate LOOKING at the photos! Their prevalence might have something to do with the heat!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
A bunch of lakes! I only want one! LOL! Hope there aren't too many mosquitoes! Yes, please! Love to see photos of butterflies, hummingbirds (in video please) and creatures .. Thank you in advance.

Ask a Question