What does your garden look like ... Today?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Scarlet Bee Balm 'Jacob Cline'
IMG_0526 copy.jpg

Wild Bergamot
IMG_0649 copy.jpg

IMG_0647 copy.jpg

IMG_0677 copy.jpg

Monarch butterfly
IMG_0658 copy.jpg

Orange Meadowhawk Dragonfly
IMG_0651 copy.jpg

Hoary Vervain
IMG_0619 copy.jpg

Purple Poppy Mallow
IMG_0621 copy.jpg

Blazing Star
IMG_0631 copy.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Some snaps this morning

Pretty sure this is a bee magnet. Don't know its name. Saw a man carrying a pot of this proudly in a posh nursery. This only cost me £1.
SAM_0990.JPG
SAM_0991.JPG

SAM_0989.JPG

Cocosmia - love the red orangy combo!
SAM_0990.JPG
SAM_0991.JPG
SAM_0995.JPG

French Cancan
Last year's bargain flowering happily now

SAM_0996.JPG
SAM_0997.JPG

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Speaking of spreading the word...

I was asked today if I'd like to be featured in a potential news story about the native gardening movement, where me and my native garden would be featured. I'd love to, but there's no way I could do it! I carry a ridiculous amount of anxiety with me at all times, but even more so when the focus is on me. Plus, I'm terrible at putting thoughts together to make a single meaningful sentence, let alone an entire interview.

I'm entirely flattered to be asked, though.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You should tell them your anxiety and ask them to keep the interview to a minimum. It would be a shame not to spread your words. Ask them how much though. I wouldn't have the TV crew trampling on my garden. Go them to go softly as they are trampling on your dream. You could do a trial run on youtube and see how it goes. It would be a shame that your work doesn't get more exposure.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Rudbeckias - yesterday, I saw a moth with similar colours resting on the biggest flower. I missed it when I came out with a camera!
SAM_0398.JPG
SAM_0397.JPG
SAM_0410.JPG

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Speaking of spreading the word...

I was asked today if I'd like to be featured in a potential news story about the native gardening movement, where me and my native garden would be featured. I'd love to, but there's no way I could do it! I carry a ridiculous amount of anxiety with me at all times, but even more so when the focus is on me. Plus, I'm terrible at putting thoughts together to make a single meaningful sentence, let alone an entire interview.

I'm entirely flattered to be asked, though.

That's great!! Are they going to do the piece without you? :unsure: Was the main focus "this guy's garden" or "Plant Native Plants!!" ??

Why don't you ask them in advance for a list of the questions that they would be asking, and then you can practice your answers 'til you're comfortable talking about it. (y). Or maybe they could interview you off camera and just talk about your answers while they show your plants. (Take the focus off you, and put it on the plants.)

:LOL: It worked for Johnny Appleseed - we'll have to start calling you JB Milkweed!!

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You should tell them your anxiety and ask them to keep the interview to a minimum. It would be a shame not to spread your words.

I think I can spread my words considerably better via text than I ever could with my voice. I don't have that in me. Some people are speakers, some are thinkers. I'm looking into potentially getting the reporter in contact with someone who would better fit that role. We'll see if anything happens.

Plus, my garden is not as picturesque as I'd like. It would be a bad time to showcase it. A combination of phytoplasma and rabbits have made quite a few bare spots, and with the garden still so young, I'm still working to establish quite a few species, as well as cut back on other species that I originally over-seeded. In its current "under construction" state, it wouldn't be a good representation of what a native garden could be.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
JB: They are not going to film your whole garden. Just what is best. You worry too much! If I worry so much, I won't be able to post any pics here!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good! That means you're human! With faults! LOL!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The garden is going by at this point. I have taken up the zuchinni already. The last of the summer squash are done. The wetness and insects are winning against the age of the plants I would think. I have been hauling 5 gallon buckets of veg out roughly every 2 days. I have used everything I know to extend the production into the wet heat of late summer but I am still losing the fight to keep pristine plants. I really do not think it is possible, but without the pathogens of our semi tropical summer the production would go on for a while longer. Still, because of the soil barriers and thyme oil I used prior-the production was solid given the small and tight space in which we plant.
IMG_20180719_142428.jpg
IMG_20180719_141553.jpg
IMG_20180719_144531.jpg

Ask a Question