What does your garden look like ... Today?

Moh

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
Netherlands
Here is what I have in my balcony...

DSC_0289.jpg
DSC_0290.jpg
DSC_0294.jpg
DSC_0297.jpg
DSC_0298.jpg
DSC_0299.jpg
DSC_0301.jpg
DSC_0302.jpg
DSC_0303.jpg
IMG_3350.jpg
IMG_3351.jpg
IMG_3352.jpg
IMG_3353.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Last winter, I seeded New England Aster heavily. NE Aster is such an important late-season nectar source for pollinators, that I dedicated roughly an eighth of my entire native garden to that single specie, and I may add even more. It's a pollinator magnet and is very popular with migrating Monarch Butterflies. It naturally comes in various shades of purple and pink. It's also adding a ton of color at a time of year when I would typically not have much color left, and most of these are only first-year plants, and will have considerably more flowers next year.

IMG_6595 copy.jpg

IMG_6596 copy.jpg

This plant is a 2nd-year plant. It has dozens of flowers, where each plant above has only around 3 to 10 flowers per plant.
IMG_6605 copy.jpg

Today the flowers were overwhelmed with pollinator activity. It isn't something that could be easily captured in a photo because most were small and all were fast. There were at least 6 species of bees and a few species of flies, including the fly in the photo below. Most pollinators were tiny, harmless bees like sweat bees. It was great to see my garden so active in a time of year when it typically would no longer see much life. New England Asters are helping my garden go out with a bang in 2017.
IMG_6593 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Last winter, I seeded New England Aster heavily. NE Aster is such an important late-season nectar source for pollinators, that I dedicated roughly an eighth of my entire native garden to that single specie, and I may add even more. It's a pollinator magnet and is very popular with migrating Monarch Butterflies. It naturally comes in various shades of purple and pink. It's also adding a ton of color at a time of year when I would typically not have much color left, and most of these are only first-year plants, and will have considerably more flowers next year.

View attachment 27632
View attachment 27633

This plant is a 2nd-year plant. It has dozens of flowers, where each plant above has only around 3 to 10 flowers per plant. View attachment 27631

Today the flowers were overwhelmed with pollinator activity. It isn't something that could be easily captured in a photo because most were small and all were fast. There were at least 6 species of bees and a few species of flies, including the fly in the photo below. Most pollinators were tiny, harmless bees like sweat bees. It was great to see my garden so active in a time of year when it typically would no longer see much life. New England Asters are helping my garden go out with a bang in 2017.
View attachment 27634

The New England aster is one of the last flower to bloom in my garden along with a few late blooming roses, this is when I get the butterflies on their way south to Mexico.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hurricane Irma tore up my garden -- it's ugly; I'm now working to build it back up for my winter garden.
Must be heart-breaking .. Hope you can reduce the damage next time. Not that I want the next time, but ..

Feel sad for you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Have you gotten your power back yet? Hopefully your garden was the only thing damaged.
I took advantage of the hurricane and went north to visit family, so I wasn't here for the power outage, but I monitored it on the internet and my house experienced only a couple days without power.

Must be heart-breaking .. Hope you can reduce the damage next time. Not that I want the next time, but ..

Feel sad for you!
Short of building a 20-ft cement wall around my property, I'm not sure how I can limit the damage against those winds. The worst part was that I lost my two largest banana plants, one was getting very large; they're now mulch.

Mother Nature giveth and Mother Nature taketh away....

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Oh dear! Hope your banana trees regrow. Amazing how some trees still standing in the gale force winds in news report. Sadly, banana trees are not one of those. The previous owner had a handful of plants left and one storm killed the Cryptomeria japonica. To this date, I still mourn its passing.
Cryptomeria-japonica-Elegans-Aurea-32570.jpg

I cry with you!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hurricane Irma tore up my garden -- it's ugly; I'm now working to build it back up for my winter garden.

I'm glad you managed to stay safe by visiting family :). The good thing about gardens is they can grow back quite quickly - so I hope it recovers soon!

Ask a Question