What does your garden look like ... Today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
@JBtheExplorer , BeePalm, one of my favorites for hummers. Will take some time for the seeds to be a nice grand plant in the picture you show. Even with an actual plant from a nursery, it takes a couple years for it to be a nice large 40 inches wide, and about waist high. One thing quiet Distinctive about them is the smell of their leaves. So as spring marches on and they start sprouting upward from the flat ground you can determine them well by smushing your fingers on a leaf for a whiff. Yes, they do totally go away in the winter. Good luck.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@JBtheExplorer , BeePalm, one of my favorites for hummers. Will take some time for the seeds to be a nice grand plant in the picture you show. Even with an actual plant from a nursery, it takes a couple years for it to be a nice large 40 inches wide, and about waist high. One thing quiet Distinctive about them is the smell of their leaves. So as spring marches on and they start sprouting upward from the flat ground you can determine them well by smushing your fingers on a leaf for a whiff. Yes, they do totally go away in the winter. Good luck.

Yes, 95% of my garden was started from seed, so I'm familiar with waiting a few years to see a plant at it's best. I even have a relative, Monarda fistulosa, so it's going to be interesting to compare them.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My first native bloom of the season! Not in my native garden, but in my pond!
Marsh Marigold.
IMG_7005 copy.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I was visiting my mom today and saw she bought these. I don't know much about them, so I'll have to research them a little. They look interesting, and if they're anything like other Monarda plants, they'll be great for attracting butterflies, bees, and hummingbirds. I'll probably add a few to my own garden! I hear they're more of an annual, so it would be nice to possibly see them bloom this year.

IMG_7018 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I hear they're more of an annual, so it would be nice to possibly see them bloom this year.
Not sure what you mean by "you hear they are more of an annual" Mine come up every year, bloom, about July ish. And just keep coming back every year but wider. I get lots of snow, deep and cold, an annual really does not survive that.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Not sure what you mean by "you hear they are more of an annual" Mine come up every year, bloom, about July ish. And just keep coming back every year but wider. I get lots of snow, deep and cold, an annual really does not survive that.

Do you grow this kind? Monarda hybrida "Lambada"? Different Monardas, whether it be true natives, cultivars, or hybrids, all have different hardiness.
Packet says tender perennial, a few websites I looked up last night say generally grown as an annual in zones 6 and under, but self-seeds easily.

Last edited:

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Finally seeing plant life in my native garden from a distance.

Liatris has come out of nowhere this past week.
IMG_7108 copy.jpg

Spiderwort, Gray-headed Coneflower, and Black-eyed Susans.
IMG_7116 copy.jpg

Reaction score
20160424_115021.jpg

My nice little "garden" these day. Living in a small falt and wanting my parent's big garden in heart. :)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
May in my native garden:

Wild Strawberries
IMG_7256 copy.jpg

American Toad
IMG_7260 copy.jpg

Nodding Onion
IMG_7261 copy.jpg

Purple Coneflower and Black-eyed Susan
IMG_7262 copy.jpg

Blazing Star
IMG_7263 copy.jpg

Wild Bergamot
IMG_7264 copy.jpg

Penstemon
IMG_7265 copy.jpg

Spiderwort
IMG_7266 copy.jpg

Gray-headed Coneflower
IMG_7268 copy.jpg

Here's the most mature section of the garden, filling in nicely. Ignore the chickenwire cages. There's a few plants I'm trying to protect from rabbits this year, so I can collect seed. The rest of the garden has another year before it fills in, but should start looking nicer later this year.
IMG_7274 copy.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
My new native garden section is ready for plants! I planted 100 seedlings already, but it'll need many more!

IMG_8833 copy.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
What kind of native plants are you going to plant ?

Majority are and will be prairie plants Milkweeds like Common Milkweed, Orange Milkweed, Purple Coneflower, Joe Pye Weed, Blanket Flower, Black-eyed Susans, Spiderwort etc.
A few woodland plants will be put under the tree on the left.

Most are coming from seed that I collected in my established section.

Ask a Question