What does your garden look like ... Today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
The Tall Morning Glory v. Star of Yalta or Yelta (Ipomoea purpurea) started from seed earlier this year is beginning its climb up the arch and already putting out first blooms. This MG is known for having blooms that last longer then other varieties. I love the deep rich purple/blue velvety looking flowers.
P1020014.JPG

The Mexican Firespike bush (Thyrsacanthus callistachyus) has been blooming for a few days. It is rich in nectar and the hummingbirds and butterflies love to feed from it. In my garden at this time the hummingbirds have been enthusiastically nectaring and knocking off lots of the spike blooms but i sure don't have a problem with that. It is one of my hummingbird feeders :)
P1020016.JPG

Also the Jatropha multifida is putting out some blooms.
P1010999.JPG

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
In my garden at this time the hummingbirds have been enthusiastically nectaring and knocking off lots of the spike blooms]

Can't wait until the Hummingbirds are back here. Still a couple weeks away I believe. Looking forward to Orioles returning too, they both come back around the same time.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
The hummingbirds are here year around, so i am challenged to have nectar-rich blooms year around. This is when i appreciate the Red Shrimp plant. Once it starts blooming it doesn't stop, and puts out an abundance of blooms all year which is quite an accomplishment during the rainy season and the hurricane season:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Phhtttt. We're having a snow storm as I write this! But many of the summer birds are coming back. :) There's probably over 100 at my feeders right now.

Attachments

• IMG_20160410_124837.jpg
    IMG_20160410_124837.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 273
  • IMG_20160410_124901.jpg
    IMG_20160410_124901.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 255
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Oooooo, chilly biscuits! This should be the last snow of the season, yes? So many birds, that is a good sign:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Lol @ chilly biscuits! And I hope so! Spring can be unpredictable here...two weeks ago it was 73 degrees and sunny. This is why many of us northern gardeners have to wait until late may/early June to get stuff in the ground.

I do have irises and daffodils coming up and some trees are getting buds in response to earlier warm weather...but if this cold and snow continues the poor trees will have to start all over again. Its hard on fruit farmers.

I've counted over a dozen types of birds out my front window in the last hour. I'm going to have to restock the main feeder (and chase off the darn squirrels again.)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Still a bit bare on the plot, finished putting the debris netting along the fence to cut the wind and sheep out.

DSCI0141.JPG

Just got the potatoes in before the rain came

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Ha! I feel your pain. My yard looked like yours yesterday. Today rain instead of snow. Yippee!

Looks like we got the same storm system! Three inches of snow yesterday, which turned to rain, then it warmed up and the snow is all gone. o_O Gotta love upper Midwest springtime. Or not lol.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've been seeing a lot of growth in my native garden, and with warmer days ahead, I expect to see even more!

Purple Coneflower
IMG_6717 copy.jpg

Nodding Onion
IMG_6718 copy.jpg

Spiderwort
IMG_6719 copy.jpg

Gray-headed Coneflower
IMG_6721 copy.jpg

Wild Columbine
IMG_6724 copy.jpg

Lanceleaf Tickseed
IMG_6725 copy.jpg

Wild Bergamot
IMG_6728 copy.jpg

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I was given a packet of Monarda didyma seeds today. I'm excited to try them out and compare them to my Monarda fistulosa plants. I've heard a lot about these so I was happy to have them.

IMG_6954 copy.jpg

Ask a Question