What does organic mean?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
... I've been using glyphosate until last year because all the council weed controllers swore it was safe and had no residual effect. ...
Never in 43 years in the same location have I used glyphosate in my garden. Outside the garden yes, but only when the drift is safe.

Council weed controllers, the very name sounds like something I would run as far away from as I could o_O . I find many weeds to be valuable contributors to soil health.

I've never "certified" my garden as organic. My word is still good here in Texas. My sense of taste tells me all I need to know.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Yeah, well using it on the paths and driveway isn't much better. Now it's been used so much by everybody that it's in the rivers and the air. I didn't use it at all while the controversy over Monsanto's 'Plant Breeders Rights' bill was raging. Sometime after that I trialed it on Phalaris grass that had invaded my chook run. I found worms feeding off the dead roots of the grass that had been sprayed. I thought it looked clean. All the Government literature gave it a clean bill of health here and in USA. But now I know it shouldn't be used at all.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Now it's been used so much by everybody that it's in the rivers and the air.
It's billed as breaking down in contact with the soil, does it do it slowly, or is it a lie? Or what, is it what it breaks down to? I tend to want my weeds for compost, but I sometimes use it when they are tangled up with something I like because I can just paint a few leaves.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
According to Zuch Bush (a US. doctor who followed the rise of auto-immune diseases since the seventies) glyphosate kills the mitochondria in cells. Life on earth is a carbon cell lifeform. These cells contain mitochondria which provides energy for the body. Anti-biotics kill all the mitochondria in cells. Glyphosate is an anti-biotic.
Weirdly the oldest form of microbe - the archaea - contain an antidote to the effects of glyphosate. I'm telling you what I can understand - please correct as necessary.
I am currently watching the piece of land that was sprayed with glyphosate. It seems to be recovering.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I came to this forum thinking you would be discussing Zach Bush's revelation. Alas not so. Christine Jones is like a mother figure in this new world of regen. ag. I think everyone has to change over to a natural way of gardening. There are many others who agree with the natural farming methods of 50-70 years ago. You will find me amongst them.

Ask a Question