What does organic mean?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Organic: A grocery term for twice as expensive...

Touted as a cure for environmental and physical ills, the organic movement is falling short of high expectations

After 10 years of slow but steady growth, sales of organic food and drink in UK supermarkets have fallen by 2.1% over the last year. More sobering still is that despite a decade of boasts about strong year-on-year growth, organics started from such a low base that it still only accounts for 1.8% of the total food and drink market, compared to 1.2% a decade ago. So even if this year’s dip is a blip, a o.6% gain in market share each decade would mean it would be another 800 years before most of what we ate and drank was organic. Even with exponential growth of 50% per decade, we’d still have to wait until the 22nd century.

The movement is facing other important challenges. Few other than true believers think that we can sustainably feed the world organically. There is broad consensus that on average organic yields are around 80% that of “conventional” crops. More organic farming would require more good farmland, which is in short supply. Worse, researchers who examined the consequences of the UK going fully organic concluded it would increase greenhouse gas emissions and reduce biodiversity.

I don't know. Size wise UK doesn't make much of a difference compared to USA, china, Russia etc that need to make a change for there to be a difference worldwide.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is that to catch the fish or mosquitoes? Lol
Believe it or not Gnats have Mosquitoes beat hands down.

Me and my Granddaughter was cleaning fish Gnats were eating us up.

Told I was suffering to but fish needed to be cleaned.

Don't think my Son had fun but I had a blast.

big rockpile

20230327_072539.jpg
20230327_092136.jpg

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Believe it or not Gnats have Mosquitoes beat hands down.

Me and my Granddaughter was cleaning fish Gnats were eating us up.

Told I was suffering to but fish needed to be cleaned.

Don't think my Son had fun but I had a blast.

big rockpile

View attachment 98663View attachment 98664

Nice! I don't know what a gnat is but I'd fish from dawn to dusk there! Looks awesome!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I love fishing in Shediac, the lobster capital of the world. The wharf fishing, beer and fun is endless in the summer.

Reaction score
Country
United States
One thing my Son got mad about I was catching Salt Water Catfish. I didn't think they was good eating so I threw 5 back before I found out different.

Son travel all this way to catch Catfish.

Just helped my wife peel bunch of Shrimp. Told her next time buy Headless Shrimp and not piddle with Crawdads.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Organic: A grocery term for twice as expensive...

Touted as a cure for environmental and physical ills, the organic movement is falling short of high expectations

After 10 years of slow but steady growth, sales of organic food and drink in UK supermarkets have fallen by 2.1% over the last year. More sobering still is that despite a decade of boasts about strong year-on-year growth, organics started from such a low base that it still only accounts for 1.8% of the total food and drink market, compared to 1.2% a decade ago. So even if this year’s dip is a blip, a o.6% gain in market share each decade would mean it would be another 800 years before most of what we ate and drank was organic. Even with exponential growth of 50% per decade, we’d still have to wait until the 22nd century.

The movement is facing other important challenges. Few other than true believers think that we can sustainably feed the world organically. There is broad consensus that on average organic yields are around 80% that of “conventional” crops. More organic farming would require more good farmland, which is in short supply. Worse, researchers who examined the consequences of the UK going fully organic concluded it would increase greenhouse gas emissions and reduce biodiversity.
It's all being sold by the roadside or to restaurants. It is expensive but if the grower can get the retail price that changes. Most organic growers have a weekly food parcel for subscribers. Those who really want fresh food grow it themselves or get to know someone who grows it.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
We have gnats. They rise in a spiral from the ground on windless summer evenings at dusk. Innocent looking birds sit on the nearby chook fence. Then the white cheeked honeyeater flies out, grabs a gnat, hovers for half a second, and then snatches a second gnat on the way back to the fence. Solitary, shy swallow launches out, grabs his first, swallows, hovers and returns with a second. They do this three or four times each before being joined by grey fantail and willy wagtail. The newcomers have been eating insects all day long so calmy grab a gnat each without bothering about a second.
When the birds leave, full of supper, the gnats are relieved and not interested in the two humans drinking wine at the table and gawking in their direction. "I call it the feeding frenzy" says the woman. The man is about to ask why when a small family of new holland honey eaters arrive and instantly start grabbing gnats midair. They are joined by an even bigger family of noisy minors and in the darkening grey skies there is a snapping of beaks and aerial acrobatics on quite a large scale. The sky turns black, and the remaining birds are just silhouettes against the remaining light in the western sky.
I reckon three hundred gnats disappear each feeding frenzy. I'm not sure why the bigger families wait for the solitary birds to leave before feasting themselves. It used to be that we couldn't go out at night without being pestered by mozzies, flies and gnats but these birds have solved the problem - organically.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In terms of feeding the world it is not so much how you grow as what you grow. The people who developed cereals that grow with multiple heads are responsible for saving millions from starvation.

Reaction score
Country
United States
These I find are actually Black Flies but are called Buffalo Gnats.

Where we was docked if you was outside they would eat you up. They actually pushed Mosquitoes out of the way.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm thinking what you could mix up at home like Wood Ash Tea would be Organic.

Just thinking on this you would be finding unknowns like not regulating what amount you are feeding.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
Australia
These I find are actually Black Flies but are called Buffalo Gnats.

Where we was docked if you was outside they would eat you up. They actually pushed Mosquitoes out of the way.

big rockpile
Those black flies are here and bite on the beaches. I'm still looking for my gnats in Google. Are they so small as to be invisible?

Ask a Question