What does organic mean?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Those black flies are here and bite on the beaches. I'm still looking for my gnats in Google. Are they so small as to be invisible?
No they are smaller than a Mosquito but bite is much worse.

Thinking next time go down during the Summer but they have me reconsidering.

Here we have Deer Flies and Horse Flies which to me are bad enough.

They have the bright idea of staying off the main roads to get a better feel of the area but then are saying why didn't we see this? Well because it was on the main road.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mosquitos have a thing like a syringe they spike you with;. Gnats have a thing like a little saw that they create a raw spot on the skin with, then they suck up the juices that ooze from it. So long as the mosquito isn't carrying something it is a pretty clean hole, like a needle, the gnats leave a sore patch that easily picks up small infections.

Reaction score
Country
United States
These are called Buffalo Gnats but in truth they are Black Flies.

They swarm up and cover you with many bad bites.

We had some stuff the locals use but it was like feeding them. They are a big problem in the whole state.

There is natural ways of repelling them but they take major Deet.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
In terms of feeding the world it is not so much how you grow as what you grow. The people who developed cereals that grow with multiple heads are responsible for saving millions from starvation.
Although some studies have shown that these new types of high yeild veg varieties are the reason for nutrients being so low in foods nowadays. Low nutrients in veg and cerial (and cattle, pigs, hens etc if they're eating less nutrient dens food) doesn't matter in the first world where we all over-eat. But in theird world coutnries reduction off nutrients in food could be problematic.

Can't remember where I read this or how much evidence there was to support the theory.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm a Retired Baker and before I Retired they was making the Breads I had been making faster and crappy.

This is true with any food if you can call it that. In the long run you are just filling your gut not helping your body.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm a Retired Baker and before I Retired they was making the Breads I had been making faster and crappy.

This is true with any food if you can call it that. In the long run you are just filling your gut not helping your body.

big rockpile
Yes. That has been noticed by us, at least. Seems the commercial varieties aren't geared toward nutrition and taste but rather speed of harvest.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Just about everything I consume is organic. With the exception of salt and a few other minerals, I don't consume inorganic stuff - you know, rocks and that kind of thing. I hate how people corrupt our language to try to put a spin on their pet peeves. You would be surprised at what can be legally included in, or used to produce, "organic" foods - at least here in the US. It's all a bunch of political manuevering. Sometimes it's splitting hairs. That and it's usually double the price and crappy looking when it comes to fruit and veg. We just can't feed the world today on "organic" farming. For better or worse, we need regular fertilizers and bug and disease sprays. Otherwise we will have to start culling the population - and guess who I think should be the first to go. Heck, they ought to be lining up to volunteer! I do question the need for some of the stuff just to make fruit look prettier, but that's because people (who also complain about environmental issues and such) won't buy it unless it looks evenly rosy and ripe, regardless of whether it is. But they will buy those rock hard inedible bricks labelled "ripe peaches" - whether organic or not - that were picked way too green and will never ripen properly inside. A peach shouldn't go "crunch" when you bite into it - and be tasteless. And the hypocrisy of those who won't consume real meat because an animal had to die (one that would never have existed in the first place if it wasn't to supply meat) and yet they want to try to process a bunch of plant stuff (and how knows what else) to pretend they are eating the meat that they are craving in the first place. If you want to be Vegan or Vegetarian (in any of it's "convenient" versions), go for it. But don't be a hypocrite about it. And another thng - stop with calling all those "organic" plant beverages "milk" - they are not! (And BTW, most of them have all kinds of other stuff in them too, like calcium and manufactured vitamins, etc.) Heck, next thing you know they'll be making tasty cow pie "milk"... but wait... that's not "organic"... but... iiis ...it? :poop:
:oops:

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Non-organic farming means grass lands and wood lands turning to desert across the world. Glyphosate is an anti-biotic that kills soil life in conjunction with its corporate partners NPK fertilizers.
Farmers across the world are moving rapidly to change to regen. ag. They are heavily in debt because all their improved production figures have made the chemical companies rich, not them.
They will feed the world using old and natural farming methods, combined with new soil science.
I hate those unripe tomatoes and cardboard strawberries too. They tend to be non-organic and grown in a hydroponic stew of chemicals.
I should admit that I use snail pellets on the Portuguese millipedes that I have no other means of controlling. Does that make me the villain?
Hey, I'm not all villain. I do make sourdough bread on a regular basis.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
process a bunch of plant stuff (and how knows what else) to pretend they are eating the meat
I am veggie, but I wouldn't touch that stuff. We eat great meals, made with proper ingredients. Processed food? Well yes, I eat a marmite sandwich sometimes, but I am not all bad, the bread is wholemeal and made in the bread maker, five ingredients, yeast, flour, sugar, oil, salt. and water, read a white bread packet, full of 'agents' and 'improvers'.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
All I know is the Amish over here have that word down pat. they used it often at their road side stands. Probably have an Amish meeting, and say to all of them. Use that word, you'll make more sales.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
The word 'organic' has been controversial in Australia. First there was 'certified organic' by a private group of experts, and then we had certified by 'the biological farmers of Australia'. The difference was probably the use of glyphosate. I've been using glyphosate until last year because all the council weed controllers swore it was safe and had no residual effect.
Last year I put covers over my pumpkins and sprayed the couch grass spreading around them. Then I observed the pumpkin growth. They didn't grow for three months while the pumpkin across the path produced twenty pumpkins. The ground is recovering now, and I have planted excess cabbage and broad beans in it to see how they compare to my other crops.

Ask a Question