What do you do with your leaves when they fall ?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I do collect all the leaves that have fallen atleast every morning. This is to ensure that my compound is clean. I then take the leaves to the compost pit. I have never experienced such a problem since there is grass everywhere around my compound.
Do you a lot of trees on your property? Either way, with that kind of commitment I bet you have a beautiful yard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
We always rake our leaves up and put them out with the yard waste for collection by the city. Sometimes my husband will mulch the leaves with the lawnmower when there gets to be too many.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I pick up fallen leaves on my lawn and keep them in a pile. I either use them as compost by letting them rot in a corner or burn them off.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
We usually bagged up the falling leaves for the garbage truck to pick up on a certain to recycle. We have a huge tree in the front yard and this can easily end up more than 12 bags. This year, my lawn care guy will get this done for me and I don't know what he will do yet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We are getting ready to buy a house...finally! I can hardly wait to start raking leaves in the fall. I plan to start a compost pile because we are going to have a little property. It has been so long since I have had an actual yard that I might jump in the leaf pile with the kids!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Funny thing about this subject: When high school kids visit, wanting me to buy candy or candles for some event at school, I say to them Well I don't need that stuff, but I will give you MONEY if you rake my leaves.----so you. get this look-------- and then they walk away
Never any takers. Strange.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have too many trees to try and rake the leaves ,besides the leaves I also have way to many black walnuts. I rake or shovel the walnuts out of the way so that they don't damage the mower. I then mow the leaves and get them as fine as I can. The ones I can't mow I rake into piles around the yard and then pull them in a Bagster to a central location to burn. after all this is done I use a powerful leaf blower on the ground up leaves and anything else that remains. Two days later I start all over again. If the leaves are left on the lawn they will smother the grass.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
oh, yes the black walnuts, yep, this is the year of them. seems like they alternate . So we are getting the banging and popping of them falling. They land on the grill, then there is the ping, they land on the roof and roll down noise. Then there is the walking on a sloping path and hope to avoid them before you roll on them and fall. They don't burn well either. As said earlier we use a variety of equipment to get things up. If we were to bag them, leaves or nuts, I would have to use up 10 boxes of bags, and then that is more plastic to mother nature. So again we have a huge huge leaf pile, actually two of them, it takes a good two years for the pile to break down.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have at least a dozen black walnut trees the biggest one is 13 FEET in diameter and well over 80 feet high about 200 years old. Guess where it is.... right over the place where the cars are parked. Starting in late August we have to move the cars to another location until the tree is bare. Last year there were no nuts the year before I had a mound about 2 feet high and 14 feet long. As you say they can't be burned and it takes for ever to get rid of them. We have an agreement with the squirrels that if they stay out of the bird feeder they can have all the walnuts they want.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
we have plenty of squirrels over here who don't want to agree to anything reasonable. So I have my cats that keep them treed and stressed so the squirrels do not eat our truck break lines.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I shred my leaves and dump them into the flower beds and veggie garden and in the spring I have lots of nice compost in my gardens

Ask a Question