Hardiness Zone
3a/3b
Country
Canada
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Hi:)
I'm so excited to have found this forum. I'm posting several different questions about several different plants today. I'm A first time gardener, I planted these lilium belonica (oriental lily) at the cottage 4 weeks ago, 4 are doing okay, but one of them is turning brown and shedding leaves.
I see a lot of blooms ready to come out, Is it dying??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
View attachment 13363 View attachment 13364 View attachment 13365 Hi:)
I'm so excited to have found this forum. I'm posting several different questions about several different plants today. I'm A first time gardener, I planted these lilium belonica (oriental lily) at the cottage 4 weeks ago, 4 are doing okay, but one of them is turning brown and shedding leaves.
I see a lot of blooms ready to come out, Is it dying??
No it isn't dying but it does look like it is being watered too often. And watering too often will kill it

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3a/3b
Country
Canada
Interesting, we only water it on weekends because it's at the cottage maybe I'm over doing it then:)
Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Almost a foot
That's not much. How big are the holes in the bottom that will allow for drainage? If a plant is watered and the water cannot escape that will cause the symptoms your plant is showing. And in the first picture all of the plants are beginning to show the same thing except one

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3a/3b
Country
Canada
I followed the instructions, dug the hole 2x bigger than root ball and planted it.
It says to water when top 1inch of soil is dry.
But it gets watered every Friday to Sunday, so maybe I need to go by the soil dryness from now on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I followed the instructions, dug the hole 2x bigger than root ball and planted it.
It says to water when top 1inch of soil is dry.
But it gets watered every Friday to Sunday, so maybe I need to go by the soil dryness from now on.
I am not talking about the root ball. I am asking about the size of the holes in the container. Are the roots 1 inch deep? No they aren't are they. Are they 3 or 4 or 6 inches deep? The plant only cares about how much water is at its roots not how dry it is on the surface. Of course the soil will dry out on the top. Heat and wind will do that, but how does the soil dry out 5 or 6 inches deep? If the container does not have adequate drainage all of that water you put on the plant every Saturday has to go some place. If it doesn't it stays wet at its roots and you get what you see and then it will be root rot and then death

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3a/3b
Country
Canada
I am not talking about the root ball. I am asking about the size of the holes in the container. Are the roots 1 inch deep? No they aren't are they. Are they 3 or 4 or 6 inches deep? The plant only cares about how much water is at its roots not how dry it is on the surface. Of course the soil will dry out on the top. Heat and wind will do that, but how does the soil dry out 5 or 6 inches deep? If the container does not have adequate drainage all of that water you put on the plant every Saturday has to go some place. If it doesn't it stays wet at its roots and you get what you see and then it will be root rot and then death
As I mentioned in my original post, I'm a first time Gardner, so I'm just learning what everything means. I'm sorry , MAybe I won't understand every question or what everything means until I'm more familiar with gardening, That's why I found a forum for help, that's why I'm researching.
The plant root is about 5-6 inches deep yes, maybe I'll need to dig around to get a good idea of drainage now that the soil is more compacted .
Before planting them I watered the soil and the drainage seemed good, nothing pooled and stuck around. I do realize now the power watering Friday, Saturday and Sunday is probably too much.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
As I mentioned in my original post, I'm a first time Gardner, so I'm just learning what everything means. I'm sorry , MAybe I won't understand every question or what everything means until I'm more familiar with gardening, That's why I found a forum for help, that's why I'm researching.
The plant root is about 5-6 inches deep yes, maybe I'll need to dig around to get a good idea of drainage now that the soil is more compacted .
Before planting them I watered the soil and the drainage seemed good, nothing pooled and stuck around. I do realize now the power watering Friday, Saturday and Sunday is probably too much.
Don't dig around very deep. If you do you are taking a chance of injuring the roots. If you have some of those bamboo skewers that you use for shish-ka-bobs stick a couple as far as you can into the soil and leave over night. When you pull it out of the soil you will be able to see on the skewer how wet it is and how deep and get a good idea if it is draining enough

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3a/3b
Country
Canada
Don't dig around very deep. If you do you are taking a chance of injuring the roots. If you have some of those bamboo skewers that you use for shish-ka-bobs stick a couple as far as you can into the soil and leave over night. When you pull it out of the soil you will be able to see on the skewer how wet it is and how deep and get a good idea if it is draining enough
That's a great idea, thank you so much !!

Ask a Question