What do you do with your leaves when they fall ?

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
We usually gather it then burn it to ward off mosquitoes. It's is effective in warding off pests but it is also suffocating best to do it in a secluded place like the backyard.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I knew mosquitoes don't like smoke, but ours are so tenacious (and I live IN the forest, pretty much -- I can reach out my window and touch leaves. So trying to get rid of them like that isn't a good idea, we end up just bringing more pests. If nothing else, I'll rake the leaves and charge people 5 bucks, and then make a compost out of it. I win twice in one go.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Most of my neighbors have ride on mowers and they mow their leaves. I tried it this fall and the results were bad (or at least my mower is bad). The resulting mulch didn't get dispersed enough and instead left small piles that I later had to clean up. So I guess it's back to raking and bagging (at least until I get a better mower)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
We have a lot of annoying oak trees that tend to drop their leaves late. We used to just rake and drag out back but that can get tediuos so I went to mowing them. Mowing wasn't as good as it might be a left to much so I went to mowing over them once then rake and drag with some left to mow again and be left .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
We have a lot of annoying oak trees that tend to drop their leaves late. We used to just rake and drag out back but that can get tediuos so I went to mowing them. Mowing wasn't as good as it might be a left to much so I went to mowing over them once then rake and drag with some left to mow again and be left .

There are leaf blowers that you can reverse to suck the leaves into a bag. Would cut down on your work.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
There are leaf blowers that you can reverse to suck the leaves into a bag. Would cut down on your work.
I Everbrown's yard is anything like mine it would take the whole winter to suck them up like you suggest. I average seventy five, 55 gallon bags each fall, and then maybe another 5 or eight in the spring. :):cry:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Country
United States
I tried this 'mowing the leaves' thing and the results were awful and I have a small yard:sick:. I had just created more work for myself.

I believe smaller or less leaves would have a better result but I'm not willing to find that out. It's leaf bags all the way:rolleyes:.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I tried this 'mowing the leaves' thing and the results were awful and I have a small yard:sick:. I had just created more work for myself.

I believe smaller or less leaves would have a better result but I'm not willing to find that out. It's leaf bags all the way:rolleyes:.
I tried that one year myself. I would have had to go out every twenty minutes in order to keep the mower from clogging, or looking like a leaf bulldozer. Too many, too fast!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I Everbrown's yard is anything like mine it would take the whole winter to suck them up like you suggest. I average seventy five, 55 gallon bags each fall, and then maybe another 5 or eight in the spring. :):cry:

You suck them up and either put them in a chopper to put into bags to toss or throw them into a mulching bin as is. You can also get a metal drum and burn the leaves (that is usually what we do) which will save you on bags.

You have to do it just right or it gets clogged. Don't hold it so close to the ground and hold it at an angle not straight down.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Trust me kevinkimers, it ain't happen-in with your little sucker-upper-er. Been in this area for 61 years. If there were an easier way to make the leaves go away I would be the first to post it here. We used to be able to burn them, but that is no longer allowed. Then there was a time when we could just rake them to the roadside, and a big vacuum truck would suck them up. Again, no longer allowed. Bags and rakes is where it's at. ;)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We get a heck of a lot of leaves in our garden and as we have only just moved in recently they are going over the fence into the orchard, back from whence they came!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Have you tried putting up a mesh of some sore over your fence to lower the amount of leaves that are blowing in your yard? You know, the green ones you see that is typically used for privacy? They are not unattractive and they make a great barrier.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
We have many trees that shed leaves on an ongoing basis. We collect them and put them in the incinerator every fortnight.. Although smoke is supposed to be a pollutant smoke emanating from leaves is not that harmful. It keeps the mosquitoes away.

Ask a Question