Leaves are falling already.

Reaction score
My deck is already littered with leaves. Not pretty fall leaves but brown ugly dead leaves, mostly from the elm tree. The leaves of my beautiful Red Sugar Maple are also falling and they are brown. It's too dry I guess but It's still a sign around these parts. The last week has been so hot and with the humidity and pollen levels super high I don't really get outside unless I need too. At the same time I'm never ready for winter...and that is what comes after fall unfortunately.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Here, where I live, leaves aren't falling yet. Trees are still green. Some of my miniature roses are blooming. It feels like autumn though. Nights are chilly, the sky is cloudy and walnuts are almost ready to be harvested. It rains often. Fortunately, I love this kind of weather. I adore late summer days:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
My deck is already littered with leaves. Not pretty fall leaves but brown ugly dead leaves, mostly from the elm tree. The leaves of my beautiful Red Sugar Maple are also falling and they are brown. It's too dry I guess but It's still a sign around these parts. The last week has been so hot and with the humidity and pollen levels super high I don't really get outside unless I need too. At the same time I'm never ready for winter...and that is what comes after fall unfortunately.
The weather here has been 99F+ for at least a month. Humidity high one day low the next. No sign of leaf coloring or falling yet. Are your neighbors trees doing the same thing? How much water have your trees recieved?

Reaction score
The weather here has been 99F+ for at least a month. Humidity high one day low the next. No sign of leaf coloring or falling yet. Are your neighbors trees doing the same thing? How much water have your trees recieved?

I had to go outside and look but yes, it looks like the nieghbor's trees are also showing signs of stress. I guess it just got too hot too fast. The last couple of rainfalls greened up the brown grass but it must not have been enough to support the trees. Too bad. They are very old so they have deep roots and will probably be fine, I just hate to see them go so soon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I had to go outside and look but yes, it looks like the nieghbor's trees are also showing signs of stress. I guess it just got too hot too fast. The last couple of rainfalls greened up the brown grass but it must not have been enough to support the trees. Too bad. They are very old so they have deep roots and will probably be fine, I just hate to see them go so soon.
I am just saying that it is unusual especially for a maple to show no color before leaf drop. Have you looked closely at the fallen leaves for any type of insect damage? I know that here our deciduous trees are sometimes affected by a tiny beetle when in severe stress. It would be comforting to know just what is going on. Probably the best thing you can do is pray for rain and cool weather

Reaction score
Weather here has been so hot, and humid! But no brown leaves yet. Everything is still green, but I have head in other place it's starting to get colder and the leaves are starting to fall. I guess it will be our turn soon. I honestly prefer our mild winters over this scorching summer!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
My leaves are falling also dried up brown leaves. The weather here has been so cool and dry. We did get a day of rain which soaked the ground, but the temperature has not been high at all. Usually in our area August is a miserable month, this year August has been cool in the night and early mornings and no more than 85 degrees during the day. . Very strange summer.

Reaction score
There are no insects on the maple. It just looks wilted. It competes with two other large trees for water so I think it's just the weather.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The leaves are not quite falling yet in the Pacific Northwest, but I imagine that it will happen soon. I am now starting to wake up to crisp air in the morning and it feels great. I can't wait till the leaves start changing colors here.

Reaction score
Crisp, I have forgotten what that sounds like. I'm waiting for crisp mornings, when I can drink my coffee outside and wear house pants on the porch. Maybe with socks and shoes too.

Reaction score
It's been so hot here too! It's been in the 100's but luckily it's going to be cooling down next week. Maybe try get out sometime in the morning before the humidity gets to strong and water the trees some. Sounds funny to water a tree but it just might help! I think we can all agree that we're reading for cool weather and beautiful scenery. I love when the leaves change! Then it really feels like the holidays are coming!

Reaction score
The leaves aren't falling where I'm at yet. I welcome the cooler weather but I mostly can't believe it's September already! I don't know where the year went. Time flies when you're busy in the garden, I suppose.

Reaction score
Same here! Especially with as many thunderstorms as we've been getting, things already look like it's late October.

Reaction score
The leaves aren't falling where I'm at yet. I welcome the cooler weather but I mostly can't believe it's September already! I don't know where the year went. Time flies when you're busy in the garden, I suppose.

Tell me about it, it never ceases to amaze me how fast time is flying, next year I will be one year older, yikes.... This year went by so quick, I didn't even feel it!

Reaction score
I remember those day... many of them. :) I grew up in upstate NY where the winter was dreaded that's for sure. I used to hate to see the leaves fall because I knew what was right around the corner. Don't get me wrong, I loved the fall but just hated the winter months.

I now live in Florida where we have little change of seasons which is ok with me. I love the warm weather here. We do have a slight change of season where it gets chilly for a month or two which is great for me. I have had plenty of snow and cold to last a lifetime !!!

Danyel :)

Ask a Question