What do you do against slugs

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
A weird little part of me is sad reading about all the horrible ways to kill slugs - if you read up on them they're actually fascinating and complex creatures.

That said, they're horrible in the veggie garden where I live and very destructive. I've done the beer remedy and yes it attracts and kills many slugs. But because it attracts them, I think I'm bringing in slugs that would otherwise be munching away on weeds, away from my garden. It doesn't seem to do anything to reduce actual slug activity in places where it matters. I've also done the eggshell and sandpaper barrier method and that also doesn't appear to deter slugs. I used heavy-duty flooring sandpaper too.

If we have yet another wet spring and summer I'm using Sluggo just in the veggie garden. I read very positive reviews for it online. And I'm getting really tired of wiping slimy slugs off of my dinner!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
The wood ash idea is great, I am getting ready to clean the fireplace which is full of wood ash, it will be used in the garden around my rose bush.

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
I learned something new in this comment section. Growing up watching my aunt tend her garden, she placed eggshells and sawdust in the soil on every pot. She said it helps them grow, so I thought they were fertilizer. Now, reading this comment section, I just learned that it's to repel slugs from the flowers. The more you know, huh?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I don't have a problem with slugs, The Robins seem to know where there at and keep my veggie garden and flower beds free of them.

Ask a Question