Advertisements

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Logan; I've just planted seven Cerastium plug plants which arrived this morning through the post; if these do as well in the front garden as the ones I planted last year in the rear garden I'll be delighted; they look so tiny but suddenly they burst into life.

Hopefully the sun will be shining on you and allow you to get into your garden this afternoon Logan. :)

Kind regards, Colin.

Cerastium_001.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
We've not had any "serious" rain for well over a week. I've been watering the beds with the leaky hose system and the pots nightly. But I've not had the lawn sprinklers on for two days, as it was time to bring out "old faithful."

My Black & Decker "lawnraker," I bought in 1986. It wasn't expensive and is an example of how much better "appliances" were made, back then, compared with some of the stuff we've had in recent times and their catalogue of faults. Of course it doesn't get as much use as a mower, but "inactivity" as as bad for such things as too much use.

P1020843.JPG

It's seen off several lawnmowers in its time.
I gave the lawn a good scarify, I always put it on the middle setting. Now is the ideal time to do it as with the ground being only slightly damp from the dew each morning, it doesn't pull out clumps as it would if it were wet.

It doubles as a leaf collector in the Autumn on a high setting. It doesn't get that much use but I give it a clean and take the belt cover off and oil the mechanism before I put it away.
It's had a new belt in its time, but they are still available at around ten quid.

I then gave the lawn a good mow and I've turned on the sprinklers.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Meadowlark, I know, I know! We had fresh green beans with new potatoes last night and enjoyed every bite. I picked about two quarts of beans, froze some, put some aside for friends, and we still have a large bag in the refrigerator. It's raining today, so I'll stay out of the gardens. Tomorrow will be squash/beans/sugar peas/turnip harvesting. Then a good dose of liniment for my back!:oops:

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Haven't done much in my gardens this year. A little weeding in the less matured areas. Collected some seedlings I've been finding so I can plant them where I need them. I also planted my Mexican Sunflower seeds.

I've been hoping to buy a few native grasses but the garden center I go to still doesn't have their native plants in, for some reason.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Today I checked my tomatoes, picked some Tiny Tims... ate some Tiny Tims.... :), I watered my polka dot plants, I checked my armadillo trap(empty) and was surprised by a snake(don't know if it was a rat or king)

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you Colin, yes I got out this afternoon and trimmed the edge of the lawn. Had a new blueberry arrive this afternoon to replace one that had died for some reason. Watered the plants in the greenhouse and some of the plug plants that I've grown, soon be time to plant them out.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Now it's warm and I don't remember what plants I needed to more or where they were.

Ah memories!

I remember them or, not!

Every "evening," before we go to bed (that's about 1.00am) I always switch on the garden lights for a moment. The four switches are behind the lounge curtains next to the French windows. I've done it for over thirty years. This is to check that the garage circuit hasn't tripped out if it had the koi pool filtration wouldn't be working. We've no koi pool now, but we have had for years, two back-up freezers in a room in the garage which are always full of the frozen food my wife buys on-line and can't get in the big Miele in the kitchen.

If the lights come on, then all's well. If they don't, then it could be a major problem.

Last night they didn't, so in a moment I was out of the front door down the drive and into the garden, fortunately I was still fully dresed. Before I'd reached the side door of the garage, I remembered that earlier in the day I'd turned off the sockets that supply power to all the lights in the garden, as I'd wanted to change a few lamps for new non-incandescent ones and I hadn't turned them back on again.
Problem over!

Ad

Advertisements

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Haven't done much at the moment, just watered the blueberries and anything else that needs it.
Soon be time to pull up the wallflowers and plant the pot marigolds in their place.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Today I stomped on two worms, watered what needed it, and tomorrow I will be saving Tiny Tim tomato seeds!

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Today I saved Tiny Tim tomato seeds and have decided to leave the forum due to ugly words said against God by atheist headfullofbees in the now closed thread 'is it a good idea to garden on a Sunday?'. I am a Christian, and will not tolerate hatred against God. I bid you all farewell.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Didn't do much today, just a bit of pruning wisteia shoots, tying up new growth on clematis and pruning the three quinces on the side fence. I don't like them growing too high as they block the azaleas from the sun.
Went to Wyevale to spend my vouchers. One of our ceramic rose pots had a crack in it where the wind had blown it off its pot mover last year, so I bought a replacement.... and three alpines for the gaps in the rockery, plus another pot mover. It was for my wife's blueberry plant she wants to keep on the patio. Wyevale wasn't at all busy for a bank holiday week-end. This is one of those planned for closure and housing development if they can get the planning permission. it's happened to at least two nurserys that I know of in the Altrincham area.

Re-arranged the roses on the new paved area, to give my wife a better view from her chair in the lounge. They're all doing nicely and some are already flowering. Did a bit of greenfly spraying.

One other "non gardening job." I've several sets of "scruff" I wear around the house. At any time I can drop what I'm doing indoors go straight out to the garden or garage, get involved in a mucky job, then come in shower and change into clean scruff.
I've a bad habit of not always properly checking my pockets for the odd screw, nut or washer. There's always a chance something could end up in the washing machine's filter. So every six months I check the filter for any lint or metal objects, as I did today. I do it when my wife's not in the kitchen as "there'd be trouble" if I found something. (This machine is on at least twice a day, every day). Anyway, I didn't find anything in the filter.

I can't win with her, she's never very well and often in pain, which makes her a bit cranky sometimes.

Yesterday on one of these occasions, I jokingly said to her "What would you do, if I wasn't here for you to moan at?"

She replied, "If you weren't here, I wouldn't have anything to moan about!"

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Didn't do much today, just a bit of pruning wisteia shoots, tying up new growth on clematis and pruning the three quinces on the side fence. I don't like them growing too high as they block the azaleas from the sun.
Went to Wyevale to spend my vouchers. One of our ceramic rose pots had a crack in it where the wind had blown it off its pot mover last year, so I bought a replacement.... and three alpines for the gaps in the rockery, plus another pot mover. It was for my wife's blueberry plant she wants to keep on the patio. Wyevale wasn't at all busy for a bank holiday week-end. This is one of those planned for closure and housing development if they can get the planning permission. it's happened to at least two nurserys that I know of in the Altrincham area.

Re-arranged the roses on the new paved area, to give my wife a better view from her chair in the lounge. They're all doing nicely and some are already flowering. Did a bit of greenfly spraying.

One other "non gardening job." I've several sets of "scruff" I wear around the house. At any time I can drop what I'm doing indoors go straight out to the garden or garage, get involved in a mucky job, then come in shower and change into clean scruff.
I've a bad habit of not always properly checking my pockets for the odd screw, nut or washer. There's always a chance something could end up in the washing machine's filter. So every six months I check the filter for any lint or metal objects, as I did today. I do it when my wife's not in the kitchen as "there'd be trouble" if I found something. (This machine is on at least twice a day, every day). Anyway, I didn't find anything in the filter.

I can't win with her, she's never very well and often in pain, which makes her a bit cranky sometimes.

Yesterday on one of these occasions, I jokingly said to her "What would you do, if I wasn't here for you to moan at?"

She replied, "If you weren't here, I wouldn't have anything to moan about!"
On my phone this comes out as 42 lines of "Didn't do much today" so I dunno about that.

My neighbor Chuck is a retired naval Lt. Commander. Helicopter squadron guy. I asked him once what he would miss most about his wife. His reply? "The noise".

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
On my phone this comes out as 42 lines of "Didn't do much today" so I dunno about that.

My neighbor Chuck is a retired naval Lt. Commander. Helicopter squadron guy. I asked him once what he would miss most about his wife. His reply? "The noise".

For me that isn't a lot.
n hour in the garden, an hour to and from Wyevale, another half hour in the garden sorting out the pot and the alpines, then ten minutes on the washing machine. Then I watched tennis on TV. I've known people spending far more time than that.....On their phone!

Ask a Question