What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I got the stihl pole saw out and trimmed trees for dappled shade. Then I spent the afternoon running the trim through the chipper shredder. I love the shredded combo of spring leaves, sugary bark and fine wood chips. It will wear you out and cover you with dust though.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorted out the conservatory a bit by moving plants out to the small greenhouse. Had to move the tithonia out it started to get green fly I didn't want it to get on the chilly plants. Vacuumed the conservatory got all the dead leaves up.

Ad

Advertisements

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I don't see the Budweiser Sean; I see another tool of some kind; I'm teetotal and have been drunk once in my life; I had aged 16 attended a cousins wedding and having had a few beers when I arrived home and went to bed I vowed then never to touch alcohol again and never have; I'll never forget the terrible effect the alcohol had upon me with the room spinning around. I don't smoke or do drugs either but then people spend their money on their choice. I like to invest in our home and my workshop. It's been nice to buy a load of timber and have a well equipped workshop to machine the timber in. ;) ;)

I've wandered up the mountain to have a look what's happening up there after I scattered thousands of meadow flower seeds; I knew something was growing and hoped it wasn't weeds but small plants have now started to take off; how typical of Gale to spoil my efforts; she's forever supplying a prevailing breeze as she did the day I scattered the seeds hence the area behind the primroses is a bit bare; in front of the bushes I've planted sky rocket conifers and potentillas; these too are now showing promise.

Kind regards, Colin.

Meadow flowers_001.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Well nearly flattened my garden!!! Decided to do some tree trimming and get a branch that is blocking some light to my raised bed. Probably should have waited for help, but I can be stubborn like that. About half way through an 8" limb I realize I might be in trouble as I have no way to control this thing and it's the size of a tree in of itself. I managed to get ahold of a smaller limb and guide it somewhat. I did damage some potato's and carrots and my trellis. But I can fix the trellis and I'm pretty sure there potato's will recover (I hope). Once the limb landed, my trellis was actually keeping it off the garden. I then had to cut it up until I could manage it.

But the good news is I should get more light to the garden now

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Good luck logan with the lupins. I planted a few small lupins last year and was disappointed because they appeared to have died off but they've reappeared and seem to be doing well so far this year; lots of foxgloves have appeared; I planted four last year and these four look like being monsters but others too are growing not planted by me; it's a bonus because we like foxgloves. I've just been trimming hedges but now Blackie is here.

Kind regards, Colin.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
We've just had some light showers and that's what they said, now it's stopped but we've got to take the boys out yet. Supposed to be until 4pm, just have to see.

@Colin thanks about my lupins, glad that yours have grown again they do die down for the winter.
Yes we've got blackie as.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Planted a lupin got 3 more to plant have to wait for the wallflowers to finish. Did some weeding and tidied up the edge of the lawn under 2 lavender bushes.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Blackie is just bursting to help you Logan. :)

I planted wallflowers for the first time and we're impressed by their long display; I too did quite a bit of hoeing yesterday; I'm trying to create a mini meadow in fact two of these; one at the very top of the mountain the other to our side garden; here's another picture showing progress. Good luck with your lupins.

Kind regards, Colin.

Meadow flowers_001_01.JPG

Meadow flowers from scattered seeds showing great promise; I hoed yesterday to clear seedlings from the newly planted sky rocket conifers and potentillas on the left also in the foreground ground cover conifers and periwinkle; two rows of primroses top right have taken very well indeed putting on a welcome display. It's been incredibly hard work to reach this stage but hopefully will be worth it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Didn' do much yesterday other than a bit of spraying the roses. It's dry today, so I'll be tackling a "re-roofing job."

When earlier in the year, I made this little bird feeder that the small birds could use, but the wood pigeons couldn't, I was scrabbling around for a bit of roofing felt, but could only find a couple of small pieces.

P1020625.JPG

But a month or so ago I refelted "the rabbit shed" as we call it. No rabbits in there for decades, since our daughter left home for GOS nursing school.

P1020443.JPG

I was looking out the French windows through the rain at the feeder last evening, when I realised there'd be some spare nice new felt left over from the shed, in the garage, I could use.

This is of course, an example of me "looking for things to do," as it's not a golf day and there's nothing pressing to do in the garden. The car's being collected shortly for its service and MOT, there's tennis on TV later and I want to learn to play a particular tune on my leccy piano I'd heard in a film the other night on the TV, so I'll not be idle.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
IMG_20190510_192629.jpg

Black Widow spiders have a web that is often described as being produced by a spider that has been given the drug LSD. I kept having that thought as I attempted my first Florida Weave on my tomatoes.
IMG_20190510_193957.jpg

I planted squash randomly and in a row, just to see what came up and how they all interact. The trellis is for cukes.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
France
So far ive done the morning (coffee cup in hand) outside inspection,
The sky is telling me its a full day of showers on & off but thanks to having a greenhouse ive continued to re-pot some of the Lupin's from the seed pots to a larger pot with better growing compost,

The Lupin sowing has come from "she who must be obeyed" wanting to have a huge border of Lupins "just like her granny once had"
And so this year im sowing and re-potting as many seeds as poss ready for the big plant out next year.

Ive two large leyandi trees to remove for space for the second greenhouse base tobe concreted "but due to a pair of wood pigeons nesting in one of the trees ive had to put that idea on hold for a few weeks until they' ve nested and flown the nest,

"where is judge Judy when you need her? "

Ive served these two notice "they've to go.

Ad

Advertisements

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Just did some weeding got a lot more to do, mainly cleavers and dock leaves.
Monty don says that it's time to sow wallflowers, but I'll do them at the end of the month.

Colin glad about your wallflowers, they attract a lot of bees.

Ask a Question