What did you do in your garden today?

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Had to mow the front lawn don't usually do it, but hubby's been working, so i offered.

Our blueberries aren't ready, but have to watch the black birds, they'll eat them before they've ripened.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
I know I'm new to planting/gardening and just starting out with planters but I had a big blunder today. I was fertilizing my potted plants and noticed one of my flowers were looking wilted and not doing well. I thought, that's funny...the other one I have on the other side of the deck looks healthy and good. Well, come to find out, I forgot to cut the drainage whole out and was drowning them. The petunia still looked good in a pond versus soil but the type of daisy that I paired it with... not so much. Off to the garage I went to get the drill and poked a hole in the bottom. The water that came out, no wonder they didn't die!! Oh well, it should pop back in no time and I'll keep on trying to learn and "grow"!!!! I'm thinking about getting a mini green house to start early spring. It's such a money saver if I can get them to grow!! Thanks again for having this forum for newbies like me!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
United States
My blunder. Think it should bounce back. The other pic is the other plant that is doing well. The good one has verbena that I got clearanced for 50 cents. They are almost ready to bloom so I hope they do. The whole lot of flowers cost me $6. Wish me luck!!

Attachments

• 03712520-2744-4DA3-AC99-0E8B3DDFC7CD.jpeg
    03712520-2744-4DA3-AC99-0E8B3DDFC7CD.jpeg
    221.2 KB · Views: 143
  • 15963BDF-76B4-4A8D-87BB-3DBCC6D691CC.jpeg
    15963BDF-76B4-4A8D-87BB-3DBCC6D691CC.jpeg
    217.6 KB · Views: 149

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I bet you won't forget again Logan how to reset the breaker. (y)

Reminds me of a couple of years ago when our neighbour directly across the street popped over whilst I was in the workshop; could he please us our phone because his son had tripped the breaker whilst ironing? I know both his son and he have a mobile phone each so it was obvious he really wanted me to go over and have a look; of course he could use our phone which he did to call a sparky then he departed.

A few days later I saw him in the street and asked him if he had got it sorted out; yes he had been without electricity for 24 hours and when the sparky came all the sparky did was to reset the main breaker; these are a lot stiffer to reset than an MCB and the neighbour simply hadn't pushed the switch hard enough. Normally I'd have been happy to have a look but these neighbours are obsessive about the road in front of our homes; they think they own it and are very selfish; I once accepted and signed for a large envelope for the son and the son was most aggressive saying why did I have to sign for it when it could have been put through their letterbox; why are people like this? :(

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday when i mowed the lawn, i went over some very long grass and the mower cut out. Took me ages to reset the circuit breaker. Hubby did tell me a week ago, but i forgot.:ROFLMAO:

I may have mentioned this before. Back at the beginning of the year when it was really cold, an elderly widowed neighbour phoned my wife and asked her if she would send me over to take a look at her central heating which had gone off. She's always had this idea that I'm really good at "fixing things."

Anyway I went over and examined her central heating boiler, the make and model of which I'd never seen before.
So I applied my technical knowledge and fixed it.
I pressed the reset button. The boiler fired up immediately.
She had no idea where the button was, or that it actually existed as the boiler, only a few years old had never gone off before.
Actually, I had an idea it might have been that before I went over. Her semi shares a full length double car port with the semi next door. It's like a wind tunnel. That day there'd been some strong winds from the North. As the flu for her boiler exits into this area, I'd guessed the back pressure caused by the strong wind down the flu was enough to cause the boiler to shut down, the system thinking there was a blockage in the flue.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Sean,. everyone should have a neighbor like you--helpful and knowing how some things work. I think your elderly neighbor was right at thinking that you were really good at "fixing things."
What a blessing you are to this person--and you figured out what likely caused the shut-down.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Had a general tidy up after the wind. Nothing too drastic except this.

Lat week, the four bare root roses we'd bought from T&M at the end of last year.

P1010009.JPG

Same roses today, well three and a stick!

P1010687.JPG

One had lost its head!

P1010689.JPG

It was the weakest and there was a reason for it. The graft on to the trunk hadn't taken properly, which probably added to the problem of its lack of growth compared with the other three.

P1010010.JPG

Still, a polite e-mail to T&M with the "photographic evidence," got me a promise of a replacement in November when they send out the bare root orders.

Well done T&M.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
@DirtMechanic they look great, what are you going to do with them all?
I already gave some to my elderly neighbors, and I have some for some employees, I will chop and preserve some and feed my wife special dinner when she comes back from traveling up the east coast with her sister.

Last edited:

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
I already gave some to my elderly neighbors, and I have some for some employees, I will chop and preserve some and feed my wife special dinner when she comes back from traveling up the east coast with her sister.
That's great, i grow a lot of cucumbers so i make a pickle with chillies. It's the only way to get hubby to eat pickle.

Ask a Question