What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
We have a large mystery vibe, maybe wisteria, the leaves look right, that the main stem is dying, but we have like three or four offshoots popping up this year. Will they survive if we cut the big stem down?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
We have a large mystery vibe, maybe wisteria, the leaves look right, that the main stem is dying, but we have like three or four offshoots popping up this year. Will they survive if we cut the big stem down?

It's difficult to say. All that's needed for shoots to appear is some warmth and some moisture in the trunk.
The roots may not be able to sustain the new growth if the thing is dying.

If the main stem is dead then I'd cut it off but not too near the root and just hope for the best.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
8D4E12FC-EA25-432A-AD48-FC290629245C.jpeg
It’s starting to get rot/ ants or something in the stem. No clue how old that is, I was wondering about transplanting the new plants over to a different spot, so they don’t get run over by the dog, teenage drivers, and foot traffic. If they last the year, I might try digging it up. The tree the parent plant is clinging to is going to go at some point, the wood is very brittle, and it losses branches too easy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Today was a weeding day in the garden. I shovel up the paths and spread the spoil in struggling spots around the yard. I sprayed for cucumber beetles since I found a few. Becky cleaned the deep freeze and I put 15 gallons of old frozen blueberries, blackberries and pecans into the kitchen waste composter. In the humidity it was sweating like a iced drink on a hot day. I bet that is going to make some good compost one day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Actually it's 70 I've got to do.

Did some more watering.

I'm glad you cleared that up. For the moment I thought you were slacking a bit!

Seriously though, that sounds very industrious. I'm fortunate as there's very little room left in our garden to plant anything else.

You're right to keep watering, this is likely to be a very dry week. Though about an hour ago it made a half-hearted effort to squeeze a few drops of rain out of a thin clouded sky, but it soon gave up.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm glad you cleared that up. For the moment I thought you were slacking a bit!

Seriously though, that sounds very industrious. I'm fortunate as there's very little room left in our garden to plant anything else.

You're right to keep watering, this is likely to be a very dry week. Though about an hour ago it made a half-hearted effort to squeeze a few drops of rain out of a thin clouded sky, but it soon gave up.

Yes got a lot of blueberries in pots and i have to keep watering the polyanthus around the path.

I do enjoy doing all the bedding plants, like cosmos, pot marigolds and snapdragons. I grow them all myself.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The 30 plants I ordered online arrived today so I've scattered them around the garden; I've lost count of the plants I've bought recently but if they all like it here I'm sure our garden is going to look a lot different shortly?

I don't know what your rainfall was last year Logan but if it was like ours further north I doubt you would have done any watering; it's years since I used our hosepipe and watering can but over the last few days whilst Blackie & Gale are in Mexico I've struggled to keep up with the watering; carrying the big watering can full of water up the mountain quickly became a real chore so I coupled two hoses together; I can now hose most of the garden and use the watering can right at the top but now I can fill the can near the top of the garden saving me lots of energy.

In this rare gorgeous weather it's absolutely wonderful living here; if only it would last.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’ll go out in a bit to check on things, see about setting up my drip irrigation for when I’m gone, and work on the pond dig more. What I don’t get dine today, I’ll do tomorrow on my day off! Then I start on a new schedule at work, should be working 3pm-10pm Monday- Wednesday’s, Thursday and Friday off, 6am-2 on weekends. Those hours may fluctuate a bit, like going in at noon, or pulling 10 hr shifts if we get short handed. A test run to see if I will be a good fit for the promotion they want to give me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Fed the birds then went round the wisterias removing "jimpies," those long unwanted side-shoots. This becomes a weekly chore during the summer as they can grow as much as a foot in a week. I try not to let the foliage "take over," as it would unchecked, thus reducing the visibility of the blooms.

We've come to a decision about the Morello cherry. It will have to go.
I've ordered a Stella cherry to replace it via e-Bay. for £33, including carriage. It'll be three years old, three to four feet high in a 9ltr pot.

"I'm taking a chance," as the seller only has 99.4% positive feedback. Mind you, that's on a quarter of a million e-Bay sales.

It will join our Conference pear in its big tub on the small patio. This produces a good crop each year now.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
We've got a cherry in a pot, never get a lot of fruit from it.

Pulled up some more wallflowers and planted some more cosmos.

More watering later and yes @Colin i wouldn't have to water as much.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
So apparently we rescued a dog. He showed up this morning, ate, left. Wouldn’t let me near him. At 3am, the pups went off, fighting him, he returned for more food. Pups were put back on their lines, we fed him, pet him a little, I got pics and posted him as a lost dog on the local Facebook page. My hubby has dubbed him Scruffy. He’s sleeping by the front door now.

Ask a Question