What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
My new modular home is almost ready to move into so I am having a little free time to do some yard work. It is raining AGAIN so I am going to go spread Sunflower seeds in one of our grass areas. I will then spread wildflower seeds closer to the road. I am only going to rake the area to break up the grass roots and forgo any plowing. By the House I planted 2 flowering crab apple trees and hope to plant 2 pear trees if the rain stops. I love this time of year.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I'm doing zip, zilch! Woke up to 46 degrees and the temperature has been dropping all morning. We also have high wind and misty rain--a most uncomfortable day. Thank heavens the corn was planted yesterday and husband got the barn lot and front yard mowed.
Baking cookies, lots and lots of cookies!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
It rained quite a bit until after lunch. So I was able to check I'd got the fall right on the new garage gutter. But that's all I did.
I might be able to get back to doing a bit of gardening tomorrow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Not as easy as it looks getting the guttering fall correct :) I remember when I built the greenhouse a few seasons back trying to get it all lined up and into a barrel which I filled with manure to culture midge larvae to feed the fishes ...lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Not as easy as it looks getting the guttering fall correct :) I remember when I built the greenhouse a few seasons back trying to get it all lined up and into a barrel which I filled with manure to culture midge larvae to feed the fishes ...lol

I did have the sense to use a spirit level. I stated with the highest bracket and then worked down to the lowest. It only needs a fall of a couple of inches. in 24ft.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Mulched some more of the roses, can't finish it until I get more compost out of the compost bin. Help hubby clear up after he cut back a hygrenger.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm wet through and not because of Blackie for a change. Bron generously bought me a new Hyundai rotavator for Christmas and I tried it out shortly after it arrived but it bogged down in the clinging wet soil riddled with roots and since then its either been raining; snowing; sleeting; hailing etc. The sun is out at last so I dragged the rotavator up the mountain and once I regained my composure I fired it up; once again I've had to quit; the ground is still soaking wet and the sods I turned over are still sods. Where the rotavator worked it worked very well indeed but it's very hard graft so I think I'll sell the rotavator and invest in lots of ground cover plants and assorted shrubs; I had high hopes of using this rotavator but now know it's simply not worth the trouble which is a pity.

I planted some Pachysandra cuttings and the squirrels have un-planted a few of them; I planted six Hosta and three have survived; the other three might still appear; out of six Viburnum five have so far survived so all in all regarding planting I'm not doing too badly; more rain is forecast surprise; surprise. :mad:

I'm having a brew whilst I cool down then I'll wander down to the workshop where I'm making a small skew chisel to use on finial woodturning. I'm better and happier keeping busy than doing nothing other than moan about the dire weather. We were forecast 6C this morning so I must have imagined I cleared the Yeti of frost. :) I'm never bored.

Kind regards, Colin.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
@Colin that's a shame about your rotavator, but they are hard work if the ground hasn't been worked. You would have to dig it with a spade, especially where there are roots.

Hostas like the wet, they should be alright.:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Today is snowing again so I just filled up the feeders, took some chopped cabbage to my girls (chickens) and ran back inside...but I hear it should warm up here soon, and then I'll do so much more in the garden
smgardening.gif

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks Logan for your suggestion and advice; much appreciated.

At the top of the garden where it levels off a bit last year I completely removed a snowberry hedge including roots leaving the ground really well dug over and I also removed the makings of a quarry given the stones I removed; adjacent to the hedge was lawn and I dug the lot over with a spade going spade depth removing lots more stones and most of the larger roots but it being grass it was sods I turned over and even after a full winter they are still sods and still soaking wet which is giving the rotavator so much grief; I talked it over with Bron and have decided to hang onto the rotavator just in case a miracle happens and we have a rare dry spell allowing the soil to dry out; the sods being so wet just bounce the rotavator around but it did a god job where I had removed the hedge; the rotavator is excellent it's our mountain that's the problem. :(

Here's a picture I took at my first attempt with the rotavator; the top half is where the snowberry hedge was removed but it's the bottom half that are grass sods and these refuse to be rotavated especially since they are full of roots and still soaking wet making the soil cling. The steep slope also adds to the problem.

Kind regards, Colin.

DSC00181.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I spent about an hour, removing the sticks and stapled tabs from our new clematis and attaching them to wire supports.
Then gave whatever needed it a feed and chucked a bit of new compost here and there for whatever I thought might benefit from it.
I;m still recovering from erecting the new guttering on the garage, though that didn't stop me playing golf this morning.

Why is it as you get older, things and stuff start to conspire against you, more than they did when I was younger?

I know how Woody Allen felt.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'd much rather play with guttering than play golf Sean. :D:D:)

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'd much rather play with guttering than play golf Sean. :D:D:)

Kind regards, Colin.

I know for some, it'd be a case of "a good walk spoiled," but I and my mates enjoy it, you're out in the fresh air and there's all the flora and fauna to enjoy. We split up into random groups and play for money. Not a lot, only a pound each. The winning team shares the cash, as my team did today, So I came home £2 better of,f as I did with two different partners on Friday. You'd think it was for a gold clock we're that competitive.

Ask a Question