What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It's not too late to do chillies. I bought 4 plug plants from a good nursery. Buy three and get one free.

I'm still planning to start some Cayenne seeds. Keep meaning to do it, but now I'm out of town. I plan to put them and try to over winter in a garage window.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm still planning to start some Cayenne seeds. Keep meaning to do it, but now I'm out of town. I plan to put them and try to over winter in a garage window.
I over wintered the plants in my unheated concervatory. They are big plants so cut the branches back a bit, not the main stem and they've got flowers on and some of the fruit has set.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Do you prune your Roses @Logan and if so how and when..
Yes hubby prunes them and he does it now. He cuts out the dead wood, the stems that are thinner than a pencil he cuts them out, the others he cuts them down to 2ft at a angle just above a bud. Any branches that are growing inward he cuts them off.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks @Logan ....would you leave a climber/rambler or prune it back hard too

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I bit the bullet and removed a bit of wisteria that had layered itself in the narrow bed between the path and the garage as the base had rotted. I've been expecting problems with the parent wisteria for some time as the base is showing signs of rot. I've actually covered the affected part with some silicone in the hope it will protect it a bit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a measure up of the guttering on the garage. It's had that cheap narrow stuff I used, bought from B&Q thirty years ago, but it leaks in several places and has been flooding our new clematis roots, it also has to cope with the moss falling off the garage roof. As it's asbestos panels. I'm loathe to touch it. Anyway the birds like to dig around in it.

P1010242.JPG

I replaced the pergola some ten years ago, but had the sense when I made these special brackets to accommodate full size guttering passing through them if ever I felt inclined to replace it.

P1010243.JPG

I nipped out an hour ago to my favourite plumbing wholesalers where I've always bought "pip stuff" for my koi pool.
2 X 4mtr lengths of guttering, a host of brackets, a joining piece, 2 X end stops, plus the outflow, 2 X 45 degree bends, down pipe and a spout, just thirty-six quid. "Cheap as chips."

It'll have to wait until the weekend, as my new leccy piano is coming at lunchtime and Miele will be bringing the replacement fridge/freezer later this afternoon. Then it's golf tomorrow morning and shopping after lunch.
I'll probably recycle a bit of the old stuff, I only need 8ft of it for this side of the roof of the shed that is built onto the end of the garage.

"So much to do, so little time."

Other than that I just gave everything "a coat of looking at,"

I gave the back lawn some three in one last week and it's responding well, I'll leave giving it its second cut of the year until next week.

I always get a few small moss patches close to the left-hand border, it's in the shadow of the fence and some of the planting until mid day.

P1010246.JPG

You can see the shadow here at mid-day.

P1010247.JPG

This bit's not so affected.

P1010248.JPG

The front lawn is always a problem as the front of the house is North facing. The edge of the lawn is permanently in the shadow of the azaleas, despite me taking the shears to them each year, so it always takes until June for it to recover. But it's doing its best.

P1010244.JPG

Last edited:

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Hubby pruned some more of the roses, i've mulched some of them. Planted 4 currant cuttings that had been in their pots too long and rooted out the bottom.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I checked the weather forecast this afternoon after I'd got back from golf/lunch/shopping and it said it would rain tomorrow/Sunday/Monday. So I decided around 4.00pm to change the guttering on the garage today. Otherwise I could see our new clematis below the old guttering getting washed away. After all it shouldn't take long should it?

Wrong!

I had to reposition one of the wall lights, as the top of it was in the way. which required drilling new holes in the garage wall for the cables and the support screws. Then it was a case of trying to get the fall right, by how I positioned the brackets. So what should have been a one hour job turned into three hours. But it's done now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Its always the case guys...the simplest of jobs always take the longest time many a time I've found myself saying "ah..I'll just do this wee job it will only take 10 minutes"...WRONG! more than likely it took half a day, why? ...because it probably did take not that long but then it led onto something else related and so on and so forth hahahaha...but you gotta do these things...If I saved everything for a rainy day I'd be able to sit down and relax now...because its never stopped raining since the Beast from the East left hahahahaha

Ask a Question