What did you do in your garden today?

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks alp; yes there isn't a cure for either of us; weather permitting I love to visit Rufforth Auto Jumble the first Saturday of every month this being to me as a candy store is to a child. :)

http://www.rufforthautojumble.com/

What; even more bulbs alp; definitely no cure for you I'm afraid. (y)

Kind regards, Colin.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom

I still have another order coming to me from the Netherlands.. Hopeless! I am. Now I know I don't need to order abroad. Just go to this GC in time to catch the FALLOUTS!:eek::D

mg guy

lawn and garden freak
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi,

Many thanks alp and in general I would agree with your advice. (y) :) However I'm a machinery and tool junkie; I love playing with all my kit and I have kit I might only use once in five years but the kit is there because when it's needed it's needed badly. My circular saws; five routers; biscuit jointer and big SDS drill spring to mind that I seldom use.

Yes Bron has already kindly bought me the Hyundai tiller but it's her Christmas prezzie to me; how many parents spend more on their kids toys only for their kids to quickly become bored with them; the Hyundai is cheap considering what it is because it's a serious bit of kit and even if only used once each year it will make light work of what has proved a long tedious job I've just endured working in terrible conditions to dig the garden over. With its three year guarantee a self employed gardener would possibly recoup the cost in short time?

I've been considering planting the area now cleared with meadow flowers and have been briefly looking at bulk buying of these flower seeds but I'm a bit confused by what I'm reading; sow the seeds but it's possible faster growing weeds could take over and the flowers will need trimming a few times each year to about a foot tall? I had hoped I could till the soil in autumn then let it winter before tilling again in springtime allowing sowing of the meadow flower seeds; let the flowers bloom until autumn then simply till them into the soil and keep repeating this every year so in this case the tiller would be very useful indeed and something I would enjoy using and playing with.

Below are a couple of pictures of jobs I've carried out using my big Makita router; I routed all the new exterior cladding around the bungalow whilst subjecting the bungalow to a comprehensive makeover; as can be seen I even removed the gutters in order to access the fascia boards for painting and I also installed a coffered ceiling to our master bedroom routing the mouldings; I used the router during our front room makeover making a new fireplace mantle and wall panelling but for about a year now the router has been stored under the bench; it owes me nothing and is still ready for action whenever the fancy takes me.

If funds were tight then obviously things would be different; I have a big petrol hedge trimmer but I've just bought a nice Makita cordless hedge trimmer; I've got lots of workshop kit so now I'm gearing up with gardening kit; I have the new hut so storage isn't a problem in fact now I've dug the grass over I can get rid of the petrol mower?

Kind regards, Colin.

View attachment 30283 View attachment 30284

Kudos on the coffer, Colin. (couldn't resist putting it that way!)
Nicely done. A project like that takes some detailed thinking, planning, and execution.

I'm doing the master bedroom here as my winter project.
Will receive a 2 piece crown molding on a vaulted ceiling, with a flat 3 piece trim 6ft. up around the room, which will be wallpapered beneath. Trim work and walls will be painted as well.

and it looks like winter has arrived here in SW Ohio..........

DSCF4130 (2).JPG

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks alp; yes there isn't a cure for either of us; weather permitting I love to visit Rufforth Auto Jumble the first Saturday of every month this being to me as a candy store is to a child. :)

http://www.rufforthautojumble.com/

Kind regards, Colin.

I know the feeling. - feel the same frisson when I am at a gc!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning folks :)

Not too bad here at all...chilly but sun is out, sky is blue and wind has eased somewhat:)

I am confused. Saw Father Christmas yesterday looking plump and tall.....I even shook his hand. Later in town I saw him again but he was so thin and small. Am I missing something? :( I thought maybe yule all here have an idea?

Have good day everybody;)

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Kudos on the coffer, Colin. (couldn't resist putting it that way!)
Nicely done. A project like that takes some detailed thinking, planning, and execution.

I'm doing the master bedroom here as my winter project.
Will receive a 2 piece crown molding on a vaulted ceiling, with a flat 3 piece trim 6ft. up around the room, which will be wallpapered beneath. Trim work and walls will be painted as well.

and it looks like winter has arrived here in SW Ohio..........

View attachment 30325

Thanks mg guy. (y)

You'll enjoy giving your master bedroom a makeover and you sound to have it well thought out. I think the hardest part is actually making a start but once a bit of progress is made then interest really kicks in. Working at ceiling height though is something else and after installing the coffered ceiling the blood has finally reached my fingertips again.:D

Nice one alp; you're incorrigible; the rate you're buying bulbs you'll end up creating a world shortage. :D(y)

Snowing here too; it's a bit late though because I've finished digging. :) I've just enjoyed a brew so now time to pop over to our very good neighbours with a bag of Christmas prezzies.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
@Colin - congratulations on the new tiller. I live by the motto, "A man can never have too many tools". I bought a new tiller this fall and I think it is going to save my bum knee. After shoveling my knee would always ache. Now I just squeeze the handle and hang on for dear life. Give your wonderful wife a big hug for making your life easier.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
@Colin - congratulations on the new tiller. I live by the motto, "A man can never have too many tools". I bought a new tiller this fall and I think it is going to save my bum knee. After shoveling my knee would always ache. Now I just squeeze the handle and hang on for dear life. Give your wonderful wife a big hug for making your life easier.

I used to have a big White Brand Tiller. This thing was a work horse, but was difficult to handle. Just this year I bought a Mantis Tiller. Small, easier to handle. It does till as much and deep on the first pass as the old White, but it's good for my purposes now....and easier for a 61 year old to handle!

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Silentrunning; I give Bron endless hugs for just being a brilliant wife; how many wives would buy their husband a new Hyundai tiller for Christmas in fact how many husbands would even wish for a tiller? (y)

I've only got one knee cap Silentrunning following a road accident in 1970; this seldom troubles me but all the heavy digging I've been doing on the steep slope played havoc with both my hips awakening me for a couple of mornings at 05:30 in extreme pain; once again Bron came to my rescue kindly giving me one of her high strength cod liver oil capsules which from the first day worked a treat I now take one of these capsules daily and I'm now fully mobile again. Now the heavy digging is done and all the debris removed the new tiller will come into its own next springtime; the tiller is due to arrive today so I'm looking forward to receiving it; how frustrating though to be grounded by this bad weather which will now go on for months to come. As you say though a man (or woman) can't have enough tools and I've doubled up on a lot of my tools whilst still on the lookout for more. Tools and machines are to guys as handbags and shoes are to the gals. :D

Yesterday morning it was -5.5C but now it's a bit warmer at 0C the ground is covered in frost; snow and ice but Blackie is returning from his short vacation and he'll soon clear this snow etc with just one good downpour. :)

I can't work outdoors and can't even wash the car; I'll be wandering into the workshop though as soon as the tiller arrives.

Kind regards, Colin.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My Hyundai tiller has just been delivered so I'm happy. I've not yet opened the stout cardboard box which is attached to a wooden pallet yet but the box appears to be in excellent condition so I've signed for it. :)

I went into the workshop with the intention of finding my Megger which I put safely out of the way whilst I changed the garage into a full time workshop; the Megger is possibly laughing and staring at me so if I trip over it I won't be surprised; strange how I can put something out of the way then completely lose it. Anyway I became distracted from the Megger hunt; I did some tidying then decided to finally add the new speed dial onto the VFD potentiometer on the Graduate lathe control; no sooner had I done this that our lovely neighbour Carole was tapping on the workshop door to ask if I had a sack cart; Carole is having a new washing machine delivered later today so would like the old machine wheeling down to her driveway ready for disposal; of course I have a sack cart in fact I have two and a machine dolly for heavy items so this is another small job for later today; it never lets up with these jobs but I'm always happy to help whenever I can. Normally I would scrounge the old washing machine and break it for raw materials; the steel enclosure is useful as are the many assorted screws and the motor but it's too cold to be playing around so I'll pass this time.

The tiller box had the usual delivery note attached to it; how wonderful to find I now have a £60 wine voucher with a code and a password if I spend over £99 on a wine order? Typical of my luck I'm 100% teetotal as is Bron; why couldn't the voucher be for something more useful like £60 off tools or a machine after all the tiller is a machine and would I want to be drunk in charge of it? I couldn't be paid £60 to drink alcohol. I'll pass the voucher on though. :)

Another morning slips by. :D

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
I made the misting bars, real simple. Above is version 3.

Piece of PVC pipe that fits (sits on top) of one of the horizontal GH frame bars. A Shelf rail below that to give it horizontal rigidity. 1/2 Drip pipe with mist emitters and few on off valves so you can use only half as needed. Everything from Home Depot. I've tried a few other commercial mist options (like netafim), but most commercial misters are too much for a small greenhouse.

The zip ties are a little unsightly, but I'll be nipping them down. Connected to a basic hose end timer, 2 valve. I run the mist 2x daily for about 3 minutes in general mild tempatures. Misting on one side and drip on the other (where the plumerias are). Cost per 6' bar is about $30 with the misters being about $15 of that.

Ask a Question