What did you do in your garden today?

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
MaryMary, I think our definition of "cold winter days" is a bit different from yours.

I had a moment of :confused: followed by :cautious: and it ended with :ROFLMAO: so I had to :p.

I just had to yank your chain a bit. ;) :whistle: :joyful:

Bless you for changing the cats' water three times a day. We have a heating strip around the hens' watering station. It plugs in and generates enough heat to keep the water open. If you like, I'll ask my husband where he got it. I hate to think of you braving sub-arctic temperatures to keep your cats hydrated!

:oops: The bowl is two steps out the front door, so it's not that bad.

I do have a malfunctioning aquarium heater that I have been thinking about putting in a 5 gallon bucket of water for them. It was heating the tank water to 90F!! :eek:

Outside in a bucket, I can turn it on and off every few hours. Might take some experimentation... :unsure: Knowing my luck, I'll have it down by spring. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I chopped and dropped all my Mexican Petunias, since they stopped flowering and I haven't chopped them down in two years, this way they have to start all over and I get some good mulch. I also have been collecting leaves and re-mulching various areas and I have some old cardboard that I place down over where the Mexican petunias were (then leaves on top), so it would slow their growth back, plus provide winter habitat for various animals -- I'm trying to create better habitat for the legless lizard, which requires heavy mulch, especially in winter as habitat.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
We call them Slow worms over here @roadrunner :)

Frost got the christmas potatoes

DSCI0002.JPG

But the salsify has put out buds, despite the cold :)

DSCI0001.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Fresh new fallen snow over night, and noted some sweet dark blue birds hoping enjoying breakfast from the hosta seeds .
caught the little bird this morning. there were three there. Pix taken by my cell and through the window.
25352269_10215536117699900_6671100836120829440_o.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Ground a lot of egg shells, banana skills and teabags and mixed with water and just poured over one of the borders and hopefully worms would pull them down and work their magic. Repotted some of me indoor plants.. Didn't do much.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Plenty frost and ice this morning when I went shopping; after dinner though it was a scorching 5C so I donned my heavy coat and enjoyed an hour digging up the mountain; the coat kept the bad weather out but also caused me to sweat and after an hour I felt too hot to carry on; yesterday afternoon I dared to wash the Yeti whilst Blackie my constant cloud drizzled on it; what a climate but it's better than snow. :)

Forecast Summary
  • Tuesday
    A locally bright morning in southeast after early frost and fog lifts. Increasingly mild with low cloud and hill fog bringing occasional drizzle to the Pennines, together with freshening winds.
Oh goody Blackie is here again tomorrow bringing along his sister Gale. :mad:

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Zigs, at this time of year we gardeners take what we can get. I"m glad your salsify is budding.
We are down to harvesting broccoli and spinach. We may have another cutting of lettuce, but that's pretty iffy.
I added to the compost pile (kitchen scraps) and looked to see if there were any roses to cut and bring in. Judging from the buds, we may have a rose bouquet on our Christmas dinner table.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
E866B837-2FD7-49AB-9F16-C5EBE0C535C8.jpeg
Here is a picture of my tomato, pepper and sweet corn plot. I finished tilling it yesterday and wanted to bury it in leaf mulch today but rain got in the way. I will dump 1,000 worms in it once the mulch is down and then it will rest till March. A year ago this bed was orange clay. After loads of cow and horse manure, a trailer load of peat moss, two loads of saw dust and every bit of compost I could get my hands on, it is starting to resemble soil. Now I will start working in the green house.

Ask a Question