What did you do in your garden today?

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Patiently waiting for the first snowfall of a few inches or more so I can scatter my seeds around the garden.

I'm a little curious about this, JB. Do you ruck up the ground in the fall? Do you scatter them on the snow and let them melt down to where they will? All of the seed packets I have that have directions for fall sowing say to have them in the ground 8-10 weeks before the first frost, so I'd like to learn more about your method. :)

I did plant my 10 free Arbor Day Foundation trees around the yard!

Which set did you get? Flowering Trees or Wildbird Garden?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hey! Hey! Think about the Bitcoins you can buy?! Make sure that people don't think you're dealing in DRUGS... :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Drug dealers using bitcoin cashpoints to launder money: Police warn of explosion in use of digital currency by criminals to offload ill-gotten gains
  • British police have described bitcoin as an emerging threat in organised crime
  • Crypto currencies like bitcoin only exist in cyberspace and are thus untraceable
  • Sterling is exchanged for the electronic currency at 93 cash machines in the UK
  • Bitcoin shot up by 1,000 per cent alone this year, causing calls for regulation

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...n-cashpoints-launder-money.html#ixzz50ZQhcJaI

LOL @alp...anything that is "money" is used to buy drugs.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

@Colin I should think about you before I SIT down! :D:LOL:

Thanks alp. (y) To complete the morning after digging I took Bron over to The Range in Barnsley where Bron likes to buy some of her crafting items; this gave me a rest. I've just come in this afternoon after another digging session; it's bad enough being adopted by Blackie and Gale but I draw the line at a blizzard; I was unsure whether it was hail; sleet or snow but these are more relations of Blackie and Gale I dislike with a passion and with thunder and lightning thrown in for good measure.

I no longer care what is thrown at me because I'm going to complete this digging whatever it takes and in spite of everything I'm now winning as seen below in the picture; I've endured two digging sessions today and possibly another two sessions will see the job done. If I only work an hour at a time it adds up; two hours today and I've turned over a nice section of garden so I'm pleased. Being fully retired is so relaxing. :D

I've included a picture of my gardening clothes heating up on a radiator; this is sheer unashamed luxury; if I go outside on a perishingly cold day like today but start out with warm clothes and wearing my hat and heavy jacket who cares what the weather does because I'm ready for it and I refuse to be beaten.

I'm now going shopping because from tonight the weather is really going to turn bitterly cold even more so than it is now; normally I do the shopping first thing of a morning but heavy frost is forecast so I'll do the shopping now whilst I can see the car. If it's not snowing tomorrow I might have another session digging. :)

Kind regards, Colin.

DSC00137.JPG
DSC00138.JPG

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
it's bad enough being adopted by Blackie and Gale but I draw the line at a blizzard;

:LOL::LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:! Oh, dear! That makes me nearly laugh with tears..

We're very quiet here. I'd better not spook it! Don't you think?!

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks alp; if I didn't laugh I think I'd cry. What a dreadful climate; there hasn't been much let up all year with the bad weather; as if this wasn't bad enough the next ten days are forecast even worse starting tonight with plummeting temperatures and frost with snow. Having seen the forecast I decided this afternoon to do the shopping rather than wait for tomorrow morning; I've done the shopping but boy it was bad as I loaded the car in Morrison's car park it being like a blizzard; I don't know what was hitting me it could have been a mix of hail; sleet and snow with Gale providing a decent blast. I must have been someone bad in a previous life. :( Anyway it can now do what it wants tonight and if I can still see the garden tomorrow I might do more digging; I'm determined not to be beaten by bad weather; it's been grim in the garden today. (y)

Kind regards, Colin.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, I am sure you will have snow, Colin; and Logan won't be spared either. Just make sure you cover your tender plants ..

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Yes, I am sure you will have snow, Colin; and Logan won't be spared either. Just make sure you cover your tender plants ..

Thanks alp for your welcome suggestion.(y) I'm the one tender on our plot. :D

WOW; WOW & WOW; I've now completed the main digging at the top of the mountain. I was on the job for 9 o'clock this morning and knocked off at 10 o'clock with frozen feet and fingers; I think I can describe it as cold outside again today but for a change Blackie my pet cloud has given way to a dusting of snow; frost and ice with persistent Gale still adding a chill factor. When I started digging the back of my neck was being punished by Gale giving it a powerful icy blast; I then remembered the heavy coat I was wearing had an hood attached? I fumbled about with cold fingers and pulled the hood up over my cap and goodbye Gale go pester someone else although I could still feel the icy blast through my work trousers.

I got stuck into the digging intending to do the remaining section in two sessions but decided to go for it and did the lot in one session so I'm now delighted to have the bulk of the heavy digging out of the way and as planned just in time for winter to do its thing with the soil.

All this might appear over the top and long winded but over the last month or so I've been working flat out in the garden in abysmal weather and conditions; this morning beat the lot though with a dusting of snow; frost and the perishing wind; it seldom changes here at all. I completely removed the big Snowberry hedge including stumps and roots together with lots of other stuff mixed in like stumps from trees I had previously felled and also mile a minute vine; masses of English ivy; holly and brambles; lots of stones were dug up and all the roots removed as digging commenced; it's been sheer hard graft and the pictures below show before and after; I've done a great deal of work in the rear garden this year so hopefully it's now easier going next springtime when perhaps my bones won't ache as much?

I've left sections and these will be new pathways that I'll cover with woodchips. I'm now warming up again and enjoying a celebratory mug of tea. I've a feeling this might be the last work done in the garden this year given the weather forecast but I'll busy myself in the workshop; now aged 70 I want to keep using everything I can before bits start dropping off and I've no intention of going gracefully into old age. :):):)

Over the next few months I need to decide what to do with this section of reclaimed garden. I've bought six Viburnum which might look nice if I plant them in front of the laurels at 8' apart so they would fit in nicely. I could plant lots of shrubs and mulch saving future work. I could create a nice lawn to replace the terrible grass/moss I've just turned over or I could even sow lots of meadow flower seeds for the butterflies and bees? If I go the meadow flower route I could go over the ground every year using a tiller; perhaps you members could also suggest other options; this section of garden isn't seen from our bungalow but I would like it to be nice after spending so much time and energy reclaiming the garden; I'm not really into vegetable gardening after all it doesn't cost much just for the two of us buying from the stores? I certainly don't want to plant things like the laurels which went ballistic and over the years these now have trunks like trees; 6' or 8' tall would be a decent height limit and funds aren't a problem. The area is roughly 60' x 20'.

Kind regards, Colin.

DSC00139.JPG
DSC00140.JPG
DSC00141.JPG
DSCN2971.JPG
DSCN2999.JPG

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm a little curious about this, JB. Do you ruck up the ground in the fall? Do you scatter them on the snow and let them melt down to where they will? All of the seed packets I have that have directions for fall sowing say to have them in the ground 8-10 weeks before the first frost, so I'd like to learn more about your method. :)

Which set did you get? Flowering Trees or Wildbird Garden?

Yes, there's no reason to have them in the ground by frost. In fact, the earlier you spread seeds, the more likely they are to be eaten, blown away, or moldy.

I don't prepare the garden in any way. I scatter the seeds right before the first snowfall of 3" or more, and when the forecast shows that the snow isn't likely to immediately melt. Seeds can be scattered throughout winter if necessary. Most native seeds need at least 8-12 weeks of cold to grow, so around here I could probably scatter them until early or even mid February, even with snow on the ground, though I would still wait until another snowfall is in the forecast to make sure they are covered up. I've also pressed seeds into the snow.

The tree set I got was the 10 tree mix, mainly because it included my favorite tree Sugar Maple, as well as others I like, such as White Pine. I was also looking forward to the dogwood, but they made a mistake and sent me two Pin Oaks instead.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks MoonShadows. (y)

Bron kindly asked of me what I would like for Christmas and I've been dithering about buying a tiller. I browsed eBay and there was/is a Merry Tiller for sale advertised as in used excellent condition for £185 collection only. I was very interested in this at first until I decided to see what else was on offer;

For slightly more money at £208.99 Bron could treat me to a brand new more powerful tiller with a three year guarantee so I'm now awaiting the Hyundai tiller to arrive. The Hyundai will be delivered to our door rather than me having to drive to collect the old tiller which would need a bit of dismantling to get it into the car. I've never used a tiller and this new tiller is a something I would like to play around with rather than something I need. I've already done the hard graft in digging the ground over removing all the debris so this new tiller should make light work of turning the ground over again and of course be a great deal easier and quicker than grafting with a spade; I love playing with my toys. Bron is a gem. :):):)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Trust me, Colin. you really don't need it. This expensive toy can only be used once or twice a year and if you advertise on freelywheely, someone might be keen to give one away. I hope she hasn't bought it yet. But then, it's my opinion only.

I think you work better than this toy .. Really love your character!

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks alp and in general I would agree with your advice. (y) :) However I'm a machinery and tool junkie; I love playing with all my kit and I have kit I might only use once in five years but the kit is there because when it's needed it's needed badly. My circular saws; five routers; biscuit jointer and big SDS drill spring to mind that I seldom use.

Yes Bron has already kindly bought me the Hyundai tiller but it's her Christmas prezzie to me; how many parents spend more on their kids toys only for their kids to quickly become bored with them; the Hyundai is cheap considering what it is because it's a serious bit of kit and even if only used once each year it will make light work of what has proved a long tedious job I've just endured working in terrible conditions to dig the garden over. With its three year guarantee a self employed gardener would possibly recoup the cost in short time?

I've been considering planting the area now cleared with meadow flowers and have been briefly looking at bulk buying of these flower seeds but I'm a bit confused by what I'm reading; sow the seeds but it's possible faster growing weeds could take over and the flowers will need trimming a few times each year to about a foot tall? I had hoped I could till the soil in autumn then let it winter before tilling again in springtime allowing sowing of the meadow flower seeds; let the flowers bloom until autumn then simply till them into the soil and keep repeating this every year so in this case the tiller would be very useful indeed and something I would enjoy using and playing with.

Below are a couple of pictures of jobs I've carried out using my big Makita router; I routed all the new exterior cladding around the bungalow whilst subjecting the bungalow to a comprehensive makeover; as can be seen I even removed the gutters in order to access the fascia boards for painting and I also installed a coffered ceiling to our master bedroom routing the mouldings; I used the router during our front room makeover making a new fireplace mantle and wall panelling but for about a year now the router has been stored under the bench; it owes me nothing and is still ready for action whenever the fancy takes me.

If funds were tight then obviously things would be different; I have a big petrol hedge trimmer but I've just bought a nice Makita cordless hedge trimmer; I've got lots of workshop kit so now I'm gearing up with gardening kit; I have the new hut so storage isn't a problem in fact now I've dug the grass over I can get rid of the petrol mower?

Kind regards, Colin.

Benjamin Moore_004.JPG
DSCN0990.JPG

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Happy Colin is the most important thing. As you have a new hut, the storage is not a problem. The junkie needs his/her feed - same as my buying more bulbs AGAIN!

Ask a Question