What did you do in your garden today?

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

It's only 12C here at the moment Verdun and Gale is with us once again; I've washed and dried the Yeti this afternoon whilst Gale has buffeted me giving a chill factor. Yes an hour less each evening or is it the afternoon because it's already quite dark in fact it's not got light all day today; from tomorrow we can enjoy a long black hole until next June; what a cheerful thought. I'm always glad to see the back of Christmas then I can look forward to springtime; why are our winters so long and depressing these days; where's the global warming we keep hearing about?

Kind regards, Colin.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Had a clump of succulents to pot up :)
DSCI0001 (45).JPG

Running out of room in the greenhouse

DSCI0003 (20).JPG

Planted this out for next years stock

DSCI0001 (46).JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I like stone accents in the garden. I think it lends another dimension and texture to the look. I have a few concrete statues of varying sizes (a couple of angels, a fish monger boy, a large toadstool, concrete birdbath) and some unusually shaped rocks/boulders.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
The plants are looking healthy @zigs. It looks like you could do with another tier in the greenhouse. Perhaps you could pick up some garage shelving at a boot sale or somewhere similar. :)

I've started work in my new garden and heading towards the winter months decided it's best to tidy things up, then I've got a fresh start out there come spring. Today I've pruned all the lower dead branches from five of the seven pines I have. It's also let in a certain amount of sunlight as the front garden faces north-west.

IMG_3373.JPG

IMG_3375.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you Verdun and Esther. :)

There is a quite a dip in the centre of the trees and it's covered in tree roots as thick as branches, so planting anything is going to be difficult. At the moment I'm using it as a dumping ground for grass cuttings as I've nowhere else to put them.

Esther there are some Hosta's in a small bed on the opposite lawn which I intend to move at some point, that would be a good place to put them if I get some soil there. I'm not sure there is enough sunlight there for Geraniums, I'll have to wait and see what it's like next Spring. I'm also told there are many Spring bulbs in the garden, I don't know what they are though and hope they aren't Bluebells, to me they are weeds!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I share your view about bluebells Sheal. They are beautiful but, yes, they take over to the exclusion of everything else.
To be honest I envy you that space....doesnt really need to be planted, does it? :)
The phaem geraniums however enjoy shade....??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
there are some tiny hostas that can fit in small areas, like baby buntings. hardy geraniums handle limited sun. also "blue bells" are you referring to Virginia blue bells? also for really tiny area, try some moss. that would be pretty.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Never grown the tiny hostas Esther but sorely tempted. Would you grow them as a small collection in a trough? :)

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Lovely pictures Sheal. (n)

Living where you do have you got a petrol chainsaw for tree work?

How about planting a few Pachysandra; Ajuga or Vinca under the pines; I've just planted Pachysandra and Ajuga under our trees and have taken a number of Pachysandra cuttings which I'm attempting to root in water first as per this video;

Kind regards, Colin.

Ask a Question