DSCI0002 (24).JPG

Potatoes are coming up, hope to have new potatoes for Christmas

DSCI0001 (36).JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
You have an impressive collection of cacti @zigs:) very nice. I notice that you are now Mr. Naughty Moderator. Does that mean you have received a promotion? How about Sir Naughty Moderator?(y)

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I wrapped up well and wandered up the garden this morning to clear a big tree branch plus other smaller trees I've recently dug up. This particular branch I found when I went up to water recently planted Pachysandra ground cover; I found this big branch sticking out of the ground just a couple of inches away from one of the Pachysandra's and thought I don't remember seeing this? I had "topped" the big tree a few years ago and thought I'd removed all the branches I had cut but must have overlooked this one; the recent high wind has brought it down; good job I wasn't planting under it at the time; the high wind also brought down a big trunk from our Willow tree; I think at times I'm working for the Forestry Commission. I've now cut everything and carried it down to our driveway in readiness for a neighbour to collect for her woodburner.

This afternoon I've done more tidying in the garden then I decided to sharpen the blade on my old bow saw; I set up my angle grinder in the vice and sharpened the blade; this blade is well over 30 years old and is so tough it won't sharpen with my engineering files I also gave the teeth more "set". I made a crude wooden clamp to hold the angle grinder as shown and it's surprising just how useful this now is. Surprisingly it isn't raining but considering the amount of rainfall we have I still need to water the newly planted Pachysandra which is beneath trees where it remains dry. An easy day for a change. :)

Kind regards, Colin.

IMAG0040.JPG
IMAG0042.JPG
IMAG0043.JPG
IMAG0044.JPG

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
You have an impressive collection of cacti @zigs:) very nice. I notice that you are now Mr. Naughty Moderator. Does that mean you have received a promotion? How about Sir Naughty Moderator?(y)

Ta :)

I've had Owcho since I got divorced but I only started growing others this year, thought he needed some company :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Don't you love the smell of burning leaves? Brings me right back to my childhood when we could still burn them in our town. Now, the city picks them up curbside in plastic bags or with one of those vacuum trucks. Where I live now, I put them in my compost, but still smell them burning from neighbors sometimes.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Burning leaves is out of necessity. We have LEAVES. this time I was able to use the lawn tractor to blow them as I circled and cut the grass at the same time, then raked onto a stump that has to be burned out. hardly any leaves fell ---right now. but when they do, its huge tarps and the big blowers come out, and the tarps are dragged to the woods. Piled high on the tarps. This will take until January to get it all done. Can't burn them all.

We don't have a city curbside affair. If they did, for our front yard alone, they would need three trucks. Sometime I can find someone to help, and pay them. It gives me a break. When I burn, I make sure the wind is going in the right direction don't want to smoke out my neighbor on the one side. the neighbor on the other side could care less.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
in plastic bags
using plastic bags for leaves would generally annoy me. that is more plastic for mother nature at the city dump pile. Better for a truck, that can take the leave to a processing place for mulch to use later.
as said earlier, mine go into the woods and then break down there, have to alternate spots every fall

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
using plastic bags for leaves would generally annoy me. that is more plastic for mother nature at the city dump pile.

:unsure: That might vary depending on where you live. Here, if you pile them loose at the curb, the village employees come with a vacuum truck, who knows what they do with them?! :cautious: But, if we put them out in bags, the local farmers come and take them. (y) They come around in pick-up trucks, and take every bag you have out there!! :)

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Slaved over a hot bonfire and now I stink.

Last year, one of my friends burned a huge pile of hickory branches that were cluttering a path in his woods. When he got done, he decided he deserved a couple beers for his day of hot, sweaty work. As he was standing in line at the store, the woman behind him leaned in, took an audible sniff, and said, "Mmm... you smell like chicken!!" :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Two friends who live in town save their leaves for me in contractor's plastic bags (really tough and big). I pick up the leaves, put them on the gardens directly, run over them with the mower, and have better tilth in the spring. I save the bags and return them to the leaf donators. We are on our third year with those bags!
We do burn brush (when the burn ban is lifted) directly on the fallow gardens. The ashes just go into the soil, and I hope they are doing some good.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
:unsure: That might vary depending on where you live. Here, if you pile them loose at the curb, the village employees come with a vacuum truck, who knows what they do with them?! :cautious: But, if we put them out in bags, the local farmers come and take them. (y) They come around in pick-up trucks, and take every bag you have out there!! :)

In the main part of Stroudsburg (I live on the very edge where it is rural) they vacuum them, and then take them to the DPW, shred them and lay them out in piles. They use them on city properties, and the public can come and get them, too. I don't because you never know where they came from. (i.e. Did some guy change his motor oil and dump it in a leaf pile on the edge of the road before they were picked up?)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
But, if we put them out in bags, the local farmers come and take them. (y) They come around in pick-up trucks, and take every bag you have out there!! :)
OK, good, well since I don't have that here. Its all about us doing it.

cannot imagine how many boxes of plastic bags I would have to buy.

Ask a Question