What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I dug out 50 gallons of black gold compost from one of my compost piles and added it with peat moss and vermiculite to my cold frames in my greenhouse.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I don't buy trash bags anymore. I pick up yard waste left out by my neighbors and dump in my yard, then use the plastic bags for my trash. I do wonder how the city deals with all those trash bags that are used for yard waste, since they're suppose to be composting the yard waste. I very much doubt that they have people opening all them bags.

I have heard reports (in the news) of yard waste being sent to normal dump, which is not suppose to happen, whole reason for having separate yard waste pick up.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Busy elsewhere this morning but just back and cut the lawns....beautifully warm and sunny.:)

Got a parcel of lilies coming today......always exciting to receive bulbs, plants by courier.

This morning included being at my niece's whilst some minor repair jobs are done there. Excellent high quality builders but still need someone like me to get jobs done to an acceptable standard.....for example, an oven splashback replaced and an outside rail replaced and not repaired. All fun n games..but I'm not one to be messed with and I think the repair guys got the message (y) It's such a shame but even today the women folk are often regarded as soft touches and often get an inferior service :(

Also revamped another piece of a border...purple foliaged astilbe shogun moved alongside hackonechloa and in front of Anemone Ruffled Swan, a white astrantia next to heuchera Chocolate Ruffles which is next to Hosta Patriot and the white variegated phlox Nora Leigh now with actea Chocoholic. Imperata Red Baron with Wild Swan to one side and Ursula's Red painted fern to the other side. Some blue salvia patens and Sanguisorba Lilac Squirrel there too to complement the rest of this area. Always a plant left over to contemplate where exactly it should go but in a couple of weeks it will fit in nicely somewhere. Enjoy this sort of revamping(y)

Hey! Bulbs are already growing ...some daffodils are 30 cm or more high :)

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Busy elsewhere this morning but just back and cut the lawns....beautifully warm and sunny.:)

This morning included being at my niece's whilst some minor repair jobs are done there. Excellent high quality builders but still need someone like me to get jobs done to an acceptable standard.....for example, an oven splashback replaced and an outside rail replaced and not repaired. All fun n games..but I'm not one to be messed with and I think the repair guys got the message (y) It's such a shame but even today the women folk are often regarded as soft touches and often get an inferior service :(

Hey! Bulbs are already growing ...some daffodils are 30 cm or more high :)

Our neighbours tend to get someone in even for the smallest of jobs; it beats me how these "tradespeople" ever get any work done as they wander up and down the street with cigarette in one hand mobile phone in the other hand?

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ha ha , know what you mean Colin.
These people....new build company .....have quality at the heart of what they do. Seriously. I have been impressed. They want everything finished to a high standard. However, they still need keeping an eye on :)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Collected some seeds today, and I did some planting, moving, and removing Wednesday. Getting it all set so it'll be ready to be seeded once we get our first decent snowfall. With the way the weather is going so far, we may see snow before December, but I won't do any seeding before December.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Cloudy all day...the odd gliimpse of th sun that's all ....but very warm still.
Think I have only one dahlia to cut down now. Pruned hyoericum, cut C.Lucifer clumps down, trimmed back osteospermums, persicarias, sanguisorbas and more. More hellebores cleared of their foliage too. Suddenly looking relatively bare inmthe garden but lots of new growth pushing through, the grasses are flowering and the evergreen structure is coming into its own now. Every season produces something.....sarcoccoca in full bud, mahonias flowering, salvias leucanthemum and Elegans flowering, witch hazels full of promise.:)
But......one hour less of daylight in the evenings now:(

Ask a Question