What did you do in your garden today?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Interesting to see others approaches to onions and potatoes. I grow and store over 200 pounds of both each year planting onion sets in Nov. and potato just last week for harvesting in late May. My onions generally are 4-6 inches across.

Today harvested cabbage and brussels sprouts. The cabbage heads have a lot of frozen leaves that have to be removed so they are about 8 inches across instead of 10 to 12 inches. I like to mix a little red cabbage in with the other in stir-fries.

cabbage 2022.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Did a bit today.
I bought an 8lt pump sdprasy in Wilko's for £12.
I used it to spray all the roses with Sulphur Rose, hoping I'll get ahead of any black spot infection.
They were all showing good signs of growth.

Had a tidy up of the shed, had a few bits of York stone left over from when I closed down the frog pond. They were in the way so I loose laid them next to the pagoda. The rain will clean them off. They'll make it easier to get round the back of it to prune the black bamboo when it needs it.

I'll give the lawn an Iron Sulphate treatment tomorrow as there's still patches of moss that need attention.

P1050744.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Dry and sunny, got a few jobs done.
Gave my Flymo a bit of a service. Removed all the soil clinging to the underside and gave the bearings a shot of WD40.
Took the blade off, put it in my vice and sharpened it. Give the outside a bit of a clean and tested it.

Cleaned out the garage gutter.

Gave both lawns a dose of soluble Maxicrop mosskiller and lawn tonic. It's quite expensive but one bottle will last all year.

Gave everything a feed.

Pleased with the blossom on our Mimosa.

P1050747.JPG

It'll get a prune once the flowers have died off.

It never disappoints, this was it ten years ago just after we bought it.

Mimosa.JPG

It will get swopped in a few months with this Sambucus.

P1050748.JPG

This always does well.

P1050252.JPG

P1050253.JPG

Pleased with our primroses grown from bulbs, they've been like this for more than two months.

P1050749.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
You people must live in Australia or some where that has no winter it was 23°F here last night warming up to 40°F today very cloudy another over cast day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
The camera caught the pesky black and white cat last night it was trying to squeeze between 'arry's 'ouse and the base panel of the fence.

He was probaby after Marcel the mouse.

So I pushed the house further back on its paving slap to prevent this happening again.

AnyConv.com__IMAG0004.jpg

I've stopped putting dry food out in a dish on 'arry's patio and dug out his proper feeding station and placed it in its usual place on the main patio near the steps in front of the French windows. I've put some dry food in there. If he comes out of his house, he will find it easy enough.
I've made sure he has two 4.5" gaps in the wire fence, one facing the rockery and one in front of his house next to the first step up to the new patio.
I've moved the camera back to it's main position near the corner of the garage, covering the main patio.
Too wet to do anything else today, but it will be drier tomorrow, may do a few jobs.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Cats are my garden friend we have 1 and there are 3 others in the neighborhood. We have 2 squirrel families that have 4 babies each 2 times every year that = 32 squirrels every year. Squirrels are never a problem in my garden they don't eat vegetables. We have moles that tunnel the yard & garden they are no problem either. We have a small dog that is only a problem when it runs trough the garden to bark at strangers. We also have, coyotes, 2 red Fox, rabbits, skunks, possums, about 15 deer & a wild Bobcat. Several security cameras get videos every night. Deer never get in our garden they don't like loud barking dogs. Garden neighbor 2 blocks away has no problem with animals either & he has no fence. Some people complain about ants in the garden, ants are my friend they eat bug eggs before they hatch. We have, vols, mice, rats too they don't seem to be a problem either. We have about 30 bird houses garden bugs are no problem.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
I irrigated some of the the garden since we have had so little rain. There may be some rain in a few days, but future raindrops are like unhatched chickens.

I pruned back an overgrown patch of Peppermint Stork's-bill (Pelargonium tomentosum). It's good to reduce something like that at the beginning of Spring. Besides it was also a little frost-damaged on top from a very light (31º F) recent frost.

I also admired and photographed some the early Spring blooms. As always, it is an ever-changing kaleidoscope as new ones emerge and others fade out.

Today's array include Abeliophyllum distichum, Adolphia california, Aloe acutissima, Aloe africana, Aloe arborescens, Aloe x 'Delta Lights', Aloe microstigma, Aloe x spinosissima, Aloe x 'Tangerine', Aloe vanbaleni, a blue Anemone coronaria, Aubrieta x cultorum, Bulbine frutescens, Bulbinella nutans, Chasmanthe bicolor, Chasmanthe floribunda, Crassula multicava, Crocus atticus ssp. sublimis fma. tricolor, Crocus chrysanthus X C. biflorus hybrid cvs., Echeveria rosea hybrid, Eriocephalus africanus, Euphorbia caput-medusae, Euphorbia x martinii, Euphorbia mauritanica, Euphorbia milii, Euphorbia rigida, Faucaria cf. felina, Felicia echinata, Gastrolobium celsianum, Gladiolus venustus, Globularia x indubia 'Blue Eyes', Graptopetalum paraguayense, Grevillea juniperina 'Molonglo', Grevillea lanigera ‘Mt. Tamboritha’, Grevillea X 'Poorinda Signet', Grevillea X 'White Wings', Hyacinthus orientalis, Ipheion uniflorum 'Jessie', Iris x hollandica cvs., Iris reticulata 'J.S. Dijt', Iris reticulata 'Rhapsody', Jordaniella anemoniflora, Kalanchoe tomentosa 'Cinnamon', Kniphofia rooperi, Kniphofia sarmentosa, Lachenalia namaquensis, Lachenalia quadricolor (a bulb of exceptional beauty - it should be grown more often), Lampranthus cvs., the very first Lathyrus odoratus, Lavandula dentata, other Lavandua spp., Leucojum aestivum 'Gravetye Giant' (fading out), Lonicera x brownii 'Dropmore Scarlet', Muscari armeniacum 'Big Smile', M. armeniacum 'Valerie Finnis', Narcissus cordobensis, Oscularia deltoidea, Pseudomuscari azureum, Pyrus kawakamii (fading), Ranunculus persica cvs., Salvia chiapensis, Salvia x 'Hot Lips', Salvia muirii, Solanum xanti 'Mountain Pride', Sparaxis meterlekampiae, Sparaxis tricolor hybrids, Tulipa bakeri 'Lilac Wonder', Tulipa cretica 'Hilde (Both tulips hail from Crete and return better than most in my mild-winter climate), Verbena lilacina 'De La Mina', etc.

More living gems are now in bud, about to make their debut. including Aloe ferox, Aloe wickensii, Echium webbii, Ferraria crispa, Freesia cvs., Iris confusa 'Chengdu', Kalanchoe orgyalis, Scilla (Oncostema) peruviana, Sonchus palmensis, and Veltheimia bracteata

Reaction score
Country
United States
I wasn't trying to be a completist last night, but now I am.

Other plants currently in bloom include Begonia Semperflorens-Cultorum Group cvs. (bronze-leaved forms), Jasminum mesnyi, Kalanchoe marnieriana, Kalanchoe synsepala, Leptospermum scoparium 'Ruby Glow', Lupinus pilosus, Narcissus x 'Ice Follies', Nothoscordum felipponei, Phalaenopsis cv. (indoors), Pittosporum tobira, Primula malacoides, Primula vulgaris cvs., Prunus salicina 'Santa Rosa', Rosa banksiae 'Lutea'; (fading out), Salvia x 'Allen Chickering', Salvia brandegei, Salvia discolor, Salvia leucantha 'Midnight', Salvia leucophylla, Salvia melissodora, Salvia microphylla 'Cerro Potosi', Salvia rosmarinus 'Renzel', Salvia rosmarinus 'Tuscan Blue', Tecomaria capensis, Viburnum tinus, Viola banksii, Viola x williamsii cvs. Xiphidium caeruleum (indoors)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
I planted ONIONs today March 1st. It is 67°F today the 2" of ice in the onion bed melted. I used my template spacer board to put onion bulbs in the correct spacing then later I pushed all the bulbs 3" down below the mulch to the wet garden soil. 3" of mulch will protect onions from 7 more weeks of cold weather last frost is April 20. It will be 90°F here Mat 1st and 100°F July 1st. We have 196 RED Onions. 100 VIDALIA Onions. 133 CANDY Onions. About $2.50 per lb = $12.60 total for 429 onions.

95 Garlic are doing better than any garlic I ever grown. I fertilized garlic with 0-20-20 fertilizer this year. This fertilizer is claimed to be the best for onions it seems to be doing great for garlic too.

100_3797.JPG

100_3798.JPG

100_3800.JPG

100_3799.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Started raining around 10.00 am today and looks like it will rain all day. Just fed the birds and the squirrel and checked the trailcam. Two cats wandering around our patio betwwen 1.00 am and 4.00 am.

No sign of our hedgehog yet, but there's dry food in his feeder in its usual place, so he'll know where to find it when he comes out of his house. Shouldn't be long now.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Those all-day rains are great for growing. It's been a while since we've had them here. Long soaking pure rainwater, the best there is for gardening.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Here's the pesky cats last night, nearly an hour apart. They must be looking for Marcel the mouse, there's nothing else for them, they can't reach the dry hedgehog food in the feeder.

IMAG0003.JPG

IMAG0009.JPG

Ask a Question