What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I've sorted out the problem with the many starlings eating all the peanut butter. A jar was only lasting a week.
I noticed as the jar got less full, the starlings were having difficulty getting at it as they needed to flap their wings whilst standing on the feeders little perch. Eventually, as the quantity reduced, only the small birds could feed from it as they could get inside the jar.
When it was finally empty, I washed it out and packed peanut butter in the bottom of the jar to a depth of about half an inch. None on the sides as there is usually. Now the small birds have it to themselves.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Very clever. We have big time problems with starlings at the feeders.

Thanks for that.
Here's proof of the success of my "ploy."
Here's a Blue Tit emerging from the jar after getting at the peanut butter.
They are there so frequently I suspect they may have young.

P1050064.JPG

Diana77

Total Newbie
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Impatiens.jpg

We went to Lowes today and bought some lavender and some Impatiens. I understand the Impatiens only need a few hours of direct sunlight in the morning so this is perfect for them. But the lavender will only get the same. Is there any chance that the lavender will do well in this set up? I really wanted some lavender. I also plan to buy some lemongrass in the near future. Lowes didn't have any today.

Attachments

• lavender.jpg
    lavender.jpg
    232.4 KB · Views: 52

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Sowing some of the wallflower seeds, I covered them with vermiculite to help them come up. I'll put cling film over them so they won't dry out, but yesterday it rained so much that the water got into one of the trays and flooded it, I'm not sure if the seeds will be any good now.
20210511_123130.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
It was a golf day so nothing apart from having a look round to see what needs doing tomorrow.

Nothing in the front garden. Just got to wait for the lawn to recover.

The "lollypop" tree is at its best. one rhodo is out, another to come

P1050080.JPG

and our azalea "hedge" is nearly there.

P1050081.JPG

I prune uit back a bit later in the year as it encroaches on the pavement, well it was, but it's tarmac now. The council removed all the paving slabs two years ago as people who park their cars with two wheels up on the kerb were constantly damaging it.

P1050082.JPG

I need to get into the rockery to weed out bits of grass from the phlox.

P1050085.JPG

The bit to the right of the fountain really thrives in three inches of soil as the concrete collar of the old koi pool is still under it, but more grass in there.

P1050084.JPG

This little tree at the bottom of the garden needs a bit of a prune. I do it through the year, as it keeps chucking out new growth.

P1050090.JPG

There's a bit of weeding to do here and there and there's some grass from next door's that always creeps under the concrete base panels of the fence, so I'll take a hoe to it. But really I'll only looking for things to do.
I'll probably steam clean the vinyl on the tea-house floor. It has its own machine, one my wife was going to chuck out as she bought a better one for the kitchen.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I removed a hebe on the rockery, it was getting too big and didn't "look right" in that position.

.jpg

It looks better without it, I just spread out the phlox to fill the gap.

P1050149.JPG

There was nowhere else to put it, so it went in a pot and was added to, "the alley of shame." Plants that are out of favour that I won't bin are put along the side fence of our drive.

P1050148.JPG

We try to discourage the wood pigeons that visit our garden, there's about half a dozen in the vicinity, but we usually only see a couple of them at a time. It's the mess they make every year that annoys me.

Each year, they try to nest in this tree in the front garden once it gets into full leaf, as it is today.

P1050151.JPG

So it's a case of checking it daily. I have to shake it to get them to move as they spend a lot of time in it before building a nest.
I checked it last night and had to chase one off. I checked it again at lunchtime and one was sitting on the scruffy nest it had built this morning. I used my telescopic pruner to chase it off and rip out the nest. They won't be back this year, they'll go elsewhere.

Last edited:

Ask a Question