What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Revamped my garden. Trying to go all raised beds to accommodate the fabric pots. Went from this

91A28FB0-B624-4CF5-8689-626F1EC6BBAA.jpeg

EA329AD3-8A47-4D63-B2B8-457ECEED6F26.jpeg

To this

47C1352C-3164-4C47-851D-C5C789A2055F.jpeg

9453E6DC-4599-4931-A34A-225D1DD0D297.jpeg

EAC53624-87C4-4188-B1D5-ACC8714CE5BA.jpeg

4D2157F8-37E1-4D7E-9544-8AD7E14F7A53.jpeg

Attachments

• 8E09C1EA-7D0F-4137-9FC1-0F32929A291F.jpeg
    8E09C1EA-7D0F-4137-9FC1-0F32929A291F.jpeg
    420.3 KB · Views: 34
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dislocating my shoulder has been stopping me, or at least making me only do a bit of jobs and leave finishing them 'til tomorrow, but today I planted out all my red onion seedlings (65) and hoed a decent sized patch around the raspberries and strawberries. It all so needs hoeing, little two leaves coming up everywhere, but today was the first day I have really been able to do it. I have been holding back the advancing legions with a little onion hoe in my left hand, but it is so slow and tedious.
Filled a black bag with a good mixture to compost down, ripped out the kale and purple sprouting that have finished, went round the garlic with the onion hoe, planted some morning glory seeds, watered the greenhouse, and thinned out the parsnips and planted on the thinnings. Not a bad day's worth, bet my arm aches tomorrow :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday I repositioned the camera lower down on the side of the shed hoping to get some better pictures of 'arry last night.

Well... I did and I didn't.. I've a few but several are rather blurred. I realised I'd left the bucket which I use to collect weeds etc. under the camera. There was some rainwater in this and I guess in the early hours of the morning, water vapour had risen, misting up the lense of the camera, which didn't clear until the sun came up. So the only decent photo was this and the accompanying video at around 11.00pm

IMAG0005.JPG

And this of Sybil or Cyril in "full flight" at 7.13 am.

IMAG0029.JPG

In the first photo 'arry had activated the security light on the side of the shed, so he's "beginning to make an impression."
I've moved the bucket.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
A full day in the garden today...Alright then...from 10.00am to 2.00pm with a break for a Budweiser.
I gave the hedgehogs toilet...alright out main patio, a good wash down and scrub.
Then tidied and vaccumed the garage and shed floors. Then cut the lawn and used the blower to clear the paths.
I'll spray the "green bits" on the patio with "Wet n' Forget" tomorrow, when I come home from golf...made cappuccinos...empted the dishwasher and had my lunch.

This is as good as this garden gets apart from when the roses come out in June.

P1050174.JPG

P1050175.JPG

P1050177.JPG

I've moved the mimosa in its big tub down to the small patio behind the shed. It was easy enough to drag even up a couiple of steps as the tub's plastic, I wouldn't want to have to lift it. It's at its least attractive at the moment and was taking up a lot of room.
The blooms of the wisteria on the fence are just about finished, but the bees are still visiting them.

P1050181.JPG

Last edited:

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Pulled up some of the wallflowers and planted some verbascum, cosmos, verbena bonerenses and Snapdragons in part of the front garden. There's a lot more of the same.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I did say that today "my time would be my own" but I decided to get done my most disliked job in the garden.
That's clear all the bluebell foliage. I like to get it done before it goes slushy. Today was ideal as it was dry and warm but not too sunny. There's no easy way to do this, so I was on my hands and knees, mostly under and behind the azaleas and rhodos. I find doing it by hand with sturdy garden gloves is the most effective and quickest way. I take my secateurs with me as there's often dead bits of "stuff" that can't be seen from the lawn that needs removing as does the grass from next door's lawn that creeps under the concrete base panel of the side fence. The back bed and the one under the wisteria on the side fence were easier to do.

I've still the front garden to do, but that will have to wait until next week as I've near as dammit filled the green bin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I dead-headed an early flowering rhodo. I like to do them before there's a chance of "dead-heading the new shoots." I find it easy enough to do it by hand.
It can give you back ache to dead-head over 100 blooms if you're bending over, but I've a system. I start with the ones at the bottom and work my way up. The majority of the blooms are at the top so by the time you've finished these while you are in an upright stance any discomfort you might have had will be gone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I got into the front garden today.

Removed all the dead and dying bluebell foliage between the plants and the side fence. A "hands and knees job."

I eerected this post and wire mesh fence over twenty years ago, the posts are still rock solid. It forms an unobtrusive divider between ours and next door's garden and I think looks better than a concrete post and panel fence than that many houses in our road have.

P1050214.JPG

Then pruned the azaleas and rhodo with a pair of garden shears.

P1050221.JPG

I don't like them growing over the lawn too much, it suffers where the azaleas keep it in the shade, or spreading out over the pavement so pedestrians have to walk around it.
I find doing this sort of "pruning" just as the blooms are starting to fade gives the plants time to recover ready for next year.

P1050215.JPG

Ask a Question