What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Sorted out the drive along the side of the house. I call this "the alley of shame," as it's where roses my wife doesn't like end up. I refused to chuck them out.
The next move could be into the green bin in front of the garage door, so they have to be on their best behaviour. . At the moment there are four in tubs, plus two mayleen clematis which are permanent residents. There is space for a couple more roses should any become out of favour. There's about eighteen on the two patios. But I think they're all safe at the moment.

I dug out the mixture of soil,old chippings and debris in the 4" gap between the concrete drive and the base panels of the party shelf and replaced it with new chippings. I reckoned five bags were needed for ten panels. In the end I only needed four. But it's better to have that rather than buy four and find you need five.
I also "red leaded" the kitchen door step. and the top and bottom of was once "the coal hole."Which is now handy storage for all sorts.

You can see my £300 patch in the drive. The result of the repair of a broken soil pipe last year.

P1040970.JPG

The low waney lap panels are now over 50 years old. They don't last much longer than ten to fifteen years these days.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I re-painted "the rabbit shed" today.
We still call it that because that was what was its original function, to house our eight year-old daughter's expanding collection of rabbits and guinea pigs. She'll be fifty-three this year (own homes, four kids, no pets).

The back wall is that of the garage, the rest is made from re-claimed roodfing ply, re-claimed three by two and 3 re-cycled 1960s wooden kitchen windows from next door's when they had their double glazing fitted.

It's still in perfect condition, though I changed the roofing felt two years ago. It stays bone dry.

P1040974.JPG

P1040975.JPG

It is "multi-functional."

P1040979.JPG

For a small shed, there's a surprising amount of room in it. Even a little bench on the left hand-side. Essential, as I can't get at my "proper bench" with its vice in the garage, as it's full of youngest son's surplus furniture!

P1040976.JPG

P1040977.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
The main job tody was re-locating this small birds' feeder. It was originally on the pergola post, but the birds and particularly the many starlings were making a lot of mess on the patio. Now it'll all fall on the garden. It was a bit of a pain to do as the access was poor, I was trying to drill into the concrete post at arms' length.

P1040985.JPG

The birds were impatiently waiting for the job to be completed. (I must clip off that surplus garden wire).

P1040993.JPG

A much quicker job was installing this additional socket in the garage.
There's a bank of sockets above my workbench a couple of yards to the left.

The sockets below the consumer unit are for all the different mains and low voltage lights, fairy lights and fountain in the garden.
But they are controlled by switches behind the lounge curtains. So now if I want to test out any of the three supplies, or change a lamp, I can just unplug them and plug them into the new socket to check that they are working OK without having to go indoors and turn them on from there.

P1040994.JPG

Niot a lot else to do, everything seems to be looking after itself.

The acer palmatums are nearly fully in leaf. They'll get a trim of wayward branches once they've settled down.

P1040987.JPG

P1040988.JPG

The phlox on the rockery is strarting to come out.

P1040991.JPG

The bluebells below this wisteria are out.

P1040986.JPG

That it turn will be out by the end of next week.

P1040989.JPG

This little maple is undergoing its several changes of colour. Lots of buds on our two tree azleas in pots.

P1040992.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
The re-sited birdfeeder wasn't working out for the smaller birds as the starlings were monopolising it. The flock could expand to a dozen sometimes. So I put it back on the pergola post, but made the peanut butter feeder too high for them to reach from the roof of the house. They now have to perch on the tiny bar in front of the peanut jar, they have to constantly flap their wings to be able to feed. So the visits have reduced.
We noticed, that the smaller birds, blue tits, sparrows, "Rocky" the robin and the dunnocks are often in and out of the azaleas.
So I bought this on eBay for eight quid (free postage).

s-l1600.jpg

jtywnoj3g5m.jpg

I've put it on a stake in the middle of the azaleas, there's quite a bit of room in there under the canopy so the small birds will be able to access it, while the starlings won't.

P1040995.JPG

The top slides round to reveal an aperture for filling. It was a quick job to bang a stake into the ground and the feeder slid securely over it as the central spine is open at the bottom. Then close up the canopy of the azaleas.

Last edited:

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Bit of tidying up in the woods :)

Last year's compost hasn't rotted down (Lack of rain:rolleyes: ) so will be adding layers of it to new greener stuff.

DSC04751.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
Didn’t want to start too many threads to ask another question, so I was hoping someone here could answer. Should I plant corn, carrots, watermelon, and squash in a section of my yard that receives direct sunlight throughout the day, or a section where it receives direct sunlight for part of the day and then is shaded for the rest of the day as the sun’s position in the sky moves? I’m in planting zone 9b and we get pretty hot summers with a lot of days in the 90’s to low 100’s

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Didn’t want to start too many threads to ask another question, so I was hoping someone here could answer. Should I plant corn, carrots, watermelon, and squash in a section of my yard that receives direct sunlight throughout the day, or a section where it receives direct sunlight for part of the day and then is shaded for the rest of the day as the sun’s position in the sky moves? I’m in planting zone 9b and we get pretty hot summers with a lot of days in the 90’s to low 100’s
Sounds like Florida or South Texas. Its getting late there for first crop. Due to some pollination related issues there is a lull when the heat gets intense. The corn, squash and melons will do ok with water. Not sure 'bout carrots, as I do not grow them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sounds like Florida or South Texas. Its getting late there for first crop. Due to some pollination related issues there is a lull when the heat gets intense. The corn, squash and melons will do ok with water. Not sure 'bout carrots, as I do not grow them.
Southern California actually, and it says on the back of the seed packs (scarlet nantes and danvers) that this is the last month for carrots. So according to what it says on the seed packs, I still have time left but time is short. What do you think about where I should plant, direct sunlight throughout the day or only part of the day and shaded for the rest?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 38

Ask a Question