What did you do in your garden today?

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Wow how have you got any taste buds left :) Never been successful with sweet peppers.
Sweet peppers are like chillies, I don't use a lot of chilli in meals, I do red fried onions with garlic and and a bit of chilli and just put a bit with a meal, get used to the heat if keep eating them. When we first started eating them hubby used to sweat, he doesn't anymore.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How will you harvest and weed in the middle of that bed. You need pathways , so you can kneel and walk.. That is why farmers plant in rows. What are you going to plant?
I am making a 4 foot x 8 ft. boxed bed inside my greenhouse, so I wont have to kneel , weed or have pests.
We don`t have that kind of problem, we usually hover..... we also walk on water from time to time. It`s a flower bed , not an allotment -we won`t be growing cabbages
1614378146975.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I went to Lowes Hardware & Garden center. Bought some tomato food and Ironite Plus. The bags of topsoil that I purchased have a Iron deficiency. Very foggy here by the time I got home and it was a long drive, so I just left it for tomorrow.

Reaction score
Country
France
Most tasks we have been successful with since transforming this farm land to a Garden. We have now hit a wall..Purchased a Greenhouse, and not wishing to make a drama of this...but...a few photos are better than words sometimes....
008.jpg
009.JPG

few other photos below of some of the stages..this is now it's 4th home which was it's 2nd,
It soon became clear that the base with short legs could not be used because of the stoney
ground here..My suggestions went on deaf ears and it was a time to just let him get on with
it...above is level almost,,no base and then when we tried the next stage of putting in the PVC
windows it was not really just the wind that caused issues..they just would not go all the way in.
Next stage below.....

greehouse.JPG

final Photo below..Project in progress...................still
green in work.JPG

Attachments

• 014.JPG
    014.JPG
    104.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 32
  • 025.JPG
    025.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 33
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
At least y'all selected a proper green house, not the cheap kind like mine. Mine is covered with a plastic sheeting. i'll be lucky if it lasts 5 years.
IMG_1326 (1).JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0117 (2).JPG
    IMG_0117 (2).JPG
    200.2 KB · Views: 37
Reaction score
Country
France
At least y'all selected a proper green house, not the cheap kind like mine. Mine is covered with a plastic sheeting. i'll be lucky if it lasts 5 years.
View attachment 76211
[/QUOTE/]
We brought one of those over with us and it last a few years..worth the cost and the better you tie it down and peg is out with long pegs,,bricks or heavy weighted at the base should last a fair bit..leave it like your photo though..no need to say..haha..Storms got it in the end, so have really missed my hiding place, great when raining of course.
At this rate Don Perry we shall still be scratching our heads in 5 years so ours will last to likely to the next few generations....I peeped earlier and the front and back windows were in and looking a good fit, then the side ones..not fitting correctly next time I looked all windows out and no sign of Mr Woollie....You are actually steps ahead of us..a proper one you say...:ROFLMAO:
this is what is should be one day in our dreams....
The Stand is now not going to be used..not my decision..:cry::giggle:
The Greenhouse Photo Here.... I think I will Print and put on the Wall in a Special Frame...
0236-0013-Large-01.jpg
0225-0064-Large-01.jpg

Reaction score
Country
France
I have filled many seed trays with Seeds and two smaller trays taken inside to protect from the chills of the night as baby Tomatoes Cherry Baby and Sakura are the names...
008.JPG

Attachments

• 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 43
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What flowers are you going to grow Tetters?

The list is so long I don`t know where to start @Logan ... I`ve got some roses ordered - mostly floribundas, and a LOT of hardy perennials I`ve been growing on since last year - just started sowing seeds now of more perennials and annuals as well. I will try and make sure there`s a good mix to encourage bees and butterflies, and so will concentrate on plenty of single flowers rather than double - although there are one or two doubles I couldn`t resist.

The bed I`ve just finished digging is mostly for white flowers, with some pinks and pastels intertwined, whilst the front one I have yet to turn over will be a more bright and gaudy job - I daresay Monty would call it a ''jewel garden'' :rolleyes:
I`m thinking of putting a mass of nasturtiums over the piles of upside down turfs on there to splash the colours on a bit - the turf should be well rotted down by next year, but they`ll be ok as they are for now.

We have a few pests about, but we just have to put up with them - rabbits, voles by the hundred, pheasants and partridge that scratch lots of small plants up and peck the life out of them - all just part of the challenge, so there will be a few losses, and it will need some determination and bloody mindedness to make a job of it.

Wish me luck :oops: I`ll post pictures as I go.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
The list is so long I don`t know where to start @Logan ... I`ve got some roses ordered - mostly floribundas, and a LOT of hardy perennials I`ve been growing on since last year - just started sowing seeds now of more perennials and annuals as well. I will try and make sure there`s a good mix to encourage bees and butterflies, and so will concentrate on plenty of single flowers rather than double - although there are one or two doubles I couldn`t resist.

The bed I`ve just finished digging is mostly for white flowers, with some pinks and pastels intertwined, whilst the front one I have yet to turn over will be a more bright and gaudy job - I daresay Monty would call it a ''jewel garden'' :rolleyes:
I`m thinking of putting a mass of nasturtiums over the piles of upside down turfs on there to splash the colours on a bit - the turf should be well rotted down by next year, but they`ll be ok as they are for now.

We have a few pests about, but we just have to put up with them - rabbits, voles by the hundred, pheasants and partridge that scratch lots of small plants up and peck the life out of them - all just part of the challenge, so there will be a few losses, and it will need some determination and bloody mindedness to make a job of it.

Sounds like a good mixture of flowers,

I was watching a video on YouTube with a man who has a permaculture food forest and he has trouble with rabbits and dear, he grows food for rabbits before they get to his food, he grows white clover they seem to like that.

Reaction score
Country
France

[/QUOT/]
That does sound a good mix of plants and the nasturtiums are a very colourful and distract unwanted pests from the veggie bed also..a quote because it is so easy to.....:rolleyes:

All parts of nasturtiums (pronounced na-stir-tchums) are edible. Their name literally means nose twister or nose tweaker, because of their peppery kick. The flowers are sweet and the leaves, flowers and seeds all have that spicy flavour.
Will be growing them myself. I have noticed it is very common to plant flowers with the veggie beds here... must be mainly to keep the pests off the produce we are growing..after all we put a lot in and want to benefit...Our chicken is the naughtiest pest for digging up anything and everything..hence things get fenced off..she has the freedom and we are fenced in:censored:........

Ask a Question