What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1607194029668.png
1607194056169.png
1607194291776.png

Today the sun came out for a while, and so Zigs and I planted our own avenue of small leaf lime trees. There are 30 altogether and we used canes and vole/mouse protection sleeves (so many voles here)
The whips came from the Woodland Trust and were very fairly priced and grown in root trainer plugs.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
They should look great @Tetters when they've grown.

I probably won`t see them when they reach maturity, but hope to look after them for a while yet. The Linden tree (lime) or Tilia cordata used to be dominant in our English woodland, but not so now. They will eventually (hopefully) grow to over 20metres high.
They belong to the Malva family, and have pretty heart shaped leaves. The insignificant yellow flowers send off a heavy perfume, and they attract all sorts of wildlife including bees. They attract aphids which are food for ladybirds and hoverflies amongst other creatures.
They also produce loads of sap, so they are not good for putting seats underneath - or parking the car as they make a bit of sticky mess!!
Traditionally the bark was used to make rope, and the flowers make a very nice tea so I understand.

I`m wondering now what other trees I can plant :unsure:

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
I probably won`t see them when they reach maturity, but hope to look after them for a while yet.
At least you know that you've done something and you'll see them grow. I'm growing some horse chestnuts to plant in the small wood by us, there's a gap but i know that I won't see them when mature.

I`m wondering now what other trees I can plant
Yes go for it.(y)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm growing some horse chestnuts to plant in the small wood by us, there's a gap but i know that I won't see them when mature.

When my eldest was little we dug a Chestnut seedling out of the football pitch before the mower came round. Some years later I planted it out with the help of my little boy.

Just took this, courtesy of Google street view...

Conker.PNG

Glad to see it's still there and flowering now :)

By my reckoning it's 27 years old now :eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I am disassembling the tomato growbag garden and generally policing up after our recent first freeze of the year. Cold used to come by the end of October, now it is strangely mixed with the beginning of our wet season at the end of November.

I have never reused or washed grow bags. I used 20 of the pressed cloth type, 7gallon size and it seems wasteful to trash them. Any tips? They have some moss on the outside.

Anyway it's just ordering all the cattle panel sections and rebar and post. I bought 4 camellia because I have little full sun area in summer and need some interest as well as evergreen height in the winter. I hope they will do well. I like the flowers and hope to have more varieties if this test works out. I have my eye on some treelike mohonia that will probably go out front nearer the road.

And my DW keeps reminding me I have 10 bags of hardwood mulch to put out, but that means trimming the knockouts and they are not quite ready for that yet. ;)

Reaction score
Country
United States
When my eldest was little we dug a Chestnut seedling out of the football pitch before the mower came round. Some years later I planted it out with the help of my little boy.

Just took this, courtesy of Google street view...

View attachment 73873

Glad to see it's still there and flowering now :)

By my reckoning it's 27 years old now :eek:
That's so cool! Do horse chestnuts taste like the chestnuts sold at the grocery store around the winter holidays?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Not a lot to do on Christmas Day. I topped up the bird feeders.

But it was extremely cold overnight.

Both the bird bath and our Maranelli fountain were completely frozen. It several watering cans full of hot water to remove all the ice.
This wasn't necessary last year as it was never that cold.
As a precaution, I then pulled the drain plug on the fountain and completely emptied it.

P1040740.JPG

I also switched off its dedicated socket in the garage. Just in case I accidentally turned it on from its switch behind the lounge curtains, when I turned on the other lights in the garden.

Ask a Question