What did you do in your garden today?

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
I have problems with cats, they get under the side gate have to have the space so that the hedgehogs can get in.So in the morning i block it off with a few house bricks but have to remember to move them in the evening.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Cutting down several Weeping Willow trees. It's interfering with the power lines.

Willows.2.jpg

Willows.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I went back to Aldi on Friday to see if I could some more cyclamen. But as I suspected, they'd sold out. Plants aren't a "running line" for them, so they get one delivery and that's it. Actually there were only 4 for £2.99, not six. Wilko didn't have any and I couldn't be bothered to go to a garden centre to look for more, which would have been expensive anyway. But shopping in the village this morning I found some more in the hardware/DIY shop and bought two trays of six for £4.99 each.

So I've arranged them, alternate pink and white around the base of our big acer palmatum.

P1040564.JPG

Those left over I added to our cyclamen bed below the kitchen window. Most of these we brought back from a garden centre in Cornwall when we were on holiday, over ten years ago and they've spread. Plus there's a couple that came as presents last month from friends for my wife's birthday.

P1040567.JPG

The roll of wire came yesterday and I've put it in. It was a bit of a struggle with the overhanging azaleas, so some pruning was necessary. I prune them every year anyway, as they branch out over the patio. I'll use wires to bend a few branches to fill up that bit of a gap on the right. Once they've "re-set" I'll remove the wire later next year.

P1040565.JPG

P1040566.JPG

This should stop any cats when they hide in the azaleas from darting out and attacking the birds and the squirrel. I made it a "dogleg" around the end of the azalea bed before the rockery, right up to the fence, so cats will have difficulty getting in there. I had some green sturdy plant "canes" to stiffen the wire in places as it's quite pliable. Like the wire fence, you can hardly see them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Cut grass, burned some leaves. later will burn the big wood pile. Making way for a back hoe to come in and organized another area of the garden. always work in progress. have to prune something. nice chilly weather here today.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Cut back the michaelmas daisies and dug up one of the clumps, going to plant verbascum and cosmos in it's place, but for now going to plant tulips and wallflowers there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Gave the lollypop tree in the front garden a trim as I do every year. Filled the green bin with what either has fallen off in a week, or I cut off today.

P1040573.JPG

Doesn't look much different, but I took off up to a foot all the way round, with my Barnel telescopic pruner.

P1040574.JPG

It isn't perfectly symetrical yet, as it's quite a tiring job. I'll do I bit more later in the week.

Still some colour in the garden, other than green.

P1040575.JPG

P1040576.JPG
#

These acer palmatums sometimes go a "firey red" at this time of the year. They might develop more of this colour for a while yet. Some years the frost gets them before they change colour.

P1040578.JPG

P1040579.JPG

Last year's Christmas roses that came in a 4" pot are still going strong. Not sure they'll last until this Christmas.

P1040580.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
The replacement curtains for our front bedroom arrived yesterday, it was a pain swopping them over as, they are pencvil pleat so there was newarly 200 hooks to swop over. The supplier didn't want the faulty ones back, so with other stuff I took them down the tip. But not before I'd cut out the thermal linings.

I'd used the old thermal curtains to put over the bubble wrap behind the tea-house doors.

P1040516.JPG

But that meant if I shut a door it was completely dark in there. So I ripped them off and replaced them today with the lining material from one curtain.

P1040582.JPG

So now there does get a bit of light in there when the door is closed, wihout having to turn on the five ceiling downlighters.

P1040581.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought my first composting temp meter, so now I can monitor my temperature throughout the breakdown process... YES!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought my first composting temp meter, so now I can monitor my temperature throughout the breakdown process... YES!
Hello @Leigh2020 - nearly missed you sneaking round the corner. Welcome to the forum :)
I have nothing to do with making compost here - the last time I tried, I just encouraged a ruddy great ants nest. I think @zigs monitors his compost heap by poking his finger in it :giggle:

Ask a Question