What did you do in your garden today?

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Yesterday planted 34 wallflowers fire king and ruby gem with 30 tulips, Golden Appledawn.
20200908_181731.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Just mowed the back lawn, did a bit of clearing up, pruned some roses and did a couple of other small jobs. Two hours work.

Today was the "annual quince harvest."

The usual bumper crop.

P1040484.JPG

These went where they usually go...straight into the bin.. They aren't the edible variety, not even the squirrels will eat them.

Last week I made up some soil/compost and grass seed mixture in an old ice cream container to put in a few small bare patches in the lawn. I didn't use it all, so left the rest in the container and put the lid on.

None of the seed I planted has shown any growth, so I thought I'd put some more down today.

I opened the container and found this.

P1040487.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Just mowed the back lawn, did a bit of clearing up, pruned some roses and did a couple of other small jobs. Two hours work.

Today was the "annual quince harvest."

The usual bumper crop.

View attachment 71075

These went where they usually go...straight into the bin.. They aren't the edible variety, not even the squirrels will eat them.

Last week I made up some soil/compost and grass seed mixture in an old ice cream container to put in a few small bare patches in the lawn. I didn't use it all, so left the rest in the container and put the lid on.

None of the seed I planted has shown any growth, so I thought I'd put some more down today.

I opened the container and found this.

View attachment 71076
Haha moisture and sun for grass! Also, Quince and I decided quince would move out at some point. I have some other targets too. Becky has this "Thing" she calls an english dogwood. I cannot find it by that name. Long whippy hardwood canes with spikes. Long like 8ft or more

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
DM - this has got me thinking so I'm on a mission now. :D The dogwoods you have, do they look like cherry (Prunus) trees when in bloom? Or are they like a shrub with brightly coloured stems when dormant in winter?

A picture would be helpful here too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Haha moisture and sun for grass! Also, Quince and I decided quince would move out at some point. I have some other targets too. Becky has this "Thing" she calls an english dogwood. I cannot find it by that name. Long whippy hardwood canes with spikes. Long like 8ft or more

We've only got the quince as it has nice flowers around April time. We've three, white, pink and an an orange/red

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
DM - this has got me thinking so I'm on a mission now. :D The dogwoods you have, do they look like cherry (Prunus) trees when in bloom? Or are they like a shrub with brightly coloured stems when dormant in winter?

A picture would be helpful here too.
I am mostly sure this is what she calls an english doqwood. No big flowers. and yes I have hacked it up. I literally am thinking about dropping it down hard this winter given its' caning nature, and it seems evergreen.
IMG_20200911_185728_resize_99.jpg

This may also be the english dogwood to which she refers. Lord knows they are both just as boring as sugar.
IMG_20200911_185839_resize_94.jpg
IMG_20200911_185645_resize_92.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
This is a particular local variety dogwood that is common in our area and has a craggy habit
IMG_20200911_185341_resize_17.jpg

We have another natural type in the woods but as you can tell darkness is settling in so no pics. Its a straight trunk though, really boring. And sad too, as a virus has devestated our area and the straight trunks are lost like blowing seeds off a dandylion seed head.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
None of those look like Dogwoods to me. I wonder if @Tetters would be kind enough to try and shed some light on them?

These are the Dogwoods we know....

Hiya folks .... in the first photo from @DirtMechanic the first and third picture appears to be a very overgrown Eleagnus ebbingei. This shrub is valuable mostly for the tiny white, insignificant flowers that produce a delicious scent around Christmas time. The one shown needs to be pruned down to the ground and allowed (maybe) to start some new growth from the base. It also needs regular pruning to keep it in check.
The picture in the centre appears to be a Dogwood. This is also very overgrown and will need drastic pruning.
Here are some leaf pictures from this garden for comparison.... If you try tearing a leaf across the veins as in the second picture you can see the telltale thread that is left across the vein.
Sorry, I can`t really identify any of the other big trees you have shown.

Attachments

• DSC00375.JPG
    DSC00375.JPG
    256.1 KB · Views: 60
  • DSC00374.JPG
    DSC00374.JPG
    191.9 KB · Views: 55

Ask a Question