What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
"Looking for something to do," I sorted out this corner of the bottom bed.
We had a big clump of a green and yellow striped grass in the corner (dunno the variety, ) which was full of fine lawn grass and the exposed roots covered in moss.
So I dug it out and binned it. We had several other of these grasses in the same bed which seemed to have multiplied over the last few years, but were "tidy."
So I planted some in a row, then gave them a haircut and a water. I think they'll look better than what we had.

P1040431.JPG

A job needing doing was the removal of the dried out carpet gripper I had on the top of this fence before I added the wires yesterday.
I was quite pleased that the 2" X 3" top rail showed no sign of rot after sixteen years. I gave it all a scub down last night with detergent, to get rid of the pigeon poo. I gave it a coat of Dulux Woodsheen this afternoon..

P1040430.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
My attempt at stopping the wood pigeons perching on the security fence between the corner of the house and the corner of the garage, with these two strands of garden wire wasn't successful. I found yesterday morning that they still managed to perch on it long enough to deficate over the wheelie bins on the other side. The problem is that unless you go right up to the French windows you can't see the fence or the pigeons.

P1040426.JPG

So I had to get creative. I added more supports and wire yesterday.

P1040433.JPG

It seems to have done the trick. Nothing on the bins today.

P1040434.JPG

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Basically? Almost nothing as " the midge" were and are out in force. I went out to check for ripe peas and within a minute my skin was on fire. It is still as bad and until we get wind.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I got into the far corner of the garden. I'd finished and done, came indoors and had my second shower of the day by noon.
We have a supposedly black bamboo behind the pagoda that likes to grow out sideways rather than upwards. It doesn't spread, just sends out a lot of thin foliage. if I don't remove some of it, it obscures the spotlight that shines up the back of the pagoda.

So I stripped a lot of it off. I have a wire around it about four feet up to stop the top spreading or flopping over. It must be twenty years old.

P1040437.JPG

I attached another wire from the top of the corner post to the top of the post next to the tea-house, just for good measure, these stop our bamboo forest against the back fence from falling forward.

P1040440.JPG

P1040445.JPG

The canopy is huge and without the wires if the wind got at it it'd be a real problem. You can't actually see them.
It's a constant battle to keep on top of the fallen leaves each year. They don't rot, I just have to vac them up, those I can get at.

P1040444.JPG

Our three ornamental quinces on the side fence are producing a lot of fruit as usual. There'll be over 100 fruits.
I never do anything with them. They're just a pain to pick up and put in the bin each year.

P1040441.JPG

P1040442.JPG

P1040443.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I've taken the ornamental feature off the top of the skylight of the tea-house and given it a rub down and a coat of Dulux exterior woodstain.
I also painted the surround that supports the skylight.

P1060523.JPG

P1040473.JPG

As it was ten years ago, in better condition.

P1030153.JPG

The weather hasn't been kind to it. But it'll do for a few more years.

P1040474.JPG

I've also painted the finials on the corners of the roof. I'll put the feature back on again later today.

I'm quite at ease walking around up there, even wearing my plastic gardening clogs. Fortunately my wife can't see me from her chair in the lounge.
I've yet to give the rest of the outside of the building its "winter coat" of woodstain. That will have to wait unril next door's trees stop dropping "bits" everywhere, which would stick to the paint.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Replaced some of the polyanthus around the path and yesterday Cleared the conservatory of the chilli plants, they were covered in greenfly and they won't do much now that it will be autumn tomorrow. :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The fall crop of tomatoes is coming on strong. Funny how they suffer and lag in the heat but as it breaks they suddenly realize they are a mature plant. Anyway I mainly ran the strimmer, blower and mowed with the lawnsweeper because its time to aerate and overseed fescue. In between hurricanes if I am lucky.

gardenfunction

Garden Tools Guide and Solutions
Reaction score
Country
United States
I am planning to make well organized garden. Hopefully i will get idea from this forum.

Ask a Question