What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Mounted the unit, the power's back on and the water heater.
I've changed most of the cables as some were over thirty years old.
Just got to connect up the supply to the light in the garage and the one in room next door.
Then I'll tackle the garden lighting, a bit of work to do there yet.

Then a massive clear up.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Lovely pictures DirtMechanic.

Have you got one of these Sean?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wire-Cab...rentrq:9526e27b16f0a9c98cd36426ff86ded3|iid:1

These tracers are cheap but highly useful and USED WITH POWER TURNED OFF.

I finally made it into the garden today. Working on the valley side is always challenging but trying to remain upright whilst Gale was trying to blow me over it was more punishment than pleasure.

I'd been unsure what to do with our spent wildflowers at the top of the mountain where last year I created a small wildflower meadow. I took up my Makita cordless hedge trimmer and started to cut the flowers near ground level and it worked to a degree then I wondered if I could simply rake them all clear so back down to collect the rake. It worked a treat; even the wet stems laid on the ground gave way to the rake. Being buffeted by the wind I grafted for an hour; with the bulk piled out of the way could I go over with the petrol mower?

Back down to collect the mower after fuelling it and drag the mower up the garden; not the easiest of jobs as the mower struggled to clear the waste but I kept shaking the mower and lifting the rear flap which helped and then the job was done. The pile of debris was then weighted down with stones to prevent it blowing away; the mower was cleaned underneath and the wheels with a stout stick before putting it away. In spite of the wind giving a chill factor I was hot.

Back into the bungalow for a mug of tea I felt flattened; it's a while since I did any real manual work and it showed but now after dinner I've come round and am pleased I managed to do the job this morning.

What now though; do I simply leave as is and let the flowers grow naturally from fallen seeds or do I rotavate; rake and broadcast more new seeds. I'd love a repeat of the gorgeous display last year.

Kind regards, Colin.

Wildflowers_0001.JPG

Looking a mess with spent flowers.

Wildflowers_0002.JPG

After raking which cleared the bulk.

Wildflowers_0003.JPG

This is much tidier having gone over with the petrol mower.

Wildflowers_0004.JPG

The big pile of debris I had to weigh down with stones to prevent the wind giving it to our neighbours across the lane.

104_0827.JPG

Simply beautiful.

104_0828.JPG

The wildflowers were stunning to behold and I'd like a repeat this year. The seed mix came from "Meadow Mania".

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Hi,

Lovely pictures DirtMechanic.

Have you got one of these Sean?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wire-Cable-Tracer-Tone-Generator-Finder-Probe-Tracker-Network-Tester-With-Case/401795235069?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160908105057&meid=2ee534fac5bc4efcbfd2e63fb77d251d&pid=100675&rk=1&rkt=15&mehot=pp&sd=401795235069&itm=401795235069&pmt=1&noa=1&pg=2380057&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci:527f1945-3484-11ea-9b1e-74dbd18008fb|parentrq:9526e27b16f0a9c98cd36426ff86ded3|iid:1

These tracers are cheap but highly useful and USED WITH POWER TURNED OFF.

I finally made it into the garden today. Working on the valley side is always challenging but trying to remain upright whilst Gale was trying to blow me over it was more punishment than pleasure.

I'd been unsure what to do with our spent wildflowers at the top of the mountain where last year I created a small wildflower meadow. I took up my Makita cordless hedge trimmer and started to cut the flowers near ground level and it worked to a degree then I wondered if I could simply rake them all clear so back down to collect the rake. It worked a treat; even the wet stems laid on the ground gave way to the rake. Being buffeted by the wind I grafted for an hour; with the bulk piled out of the way could I go over with the petrol mower?

Back down to collect the mower after fuelling it and drag the mower up the garden; not the easiest of jobs as the mower struggled to clear the waste but I kept shaking the mower and lifting the rear flap which helped and then the job was done. The pile of debris was then weighted down with stones to prevent it blowing away; the mower was cleaned underneath and the wheels with a stout stick before putting it away. In spite of the wind giving a chill factor I was hot.

Back into the bungalow for a mug of tea I felt flattened; it's a while since I did any real manual work and it showed but now after dinner I've come round and am pleased I managed to do the job this morning.

What now though; do I simply leave as is and let the flowers grow naturally from fallen seeds or do I rotavate; rake and broadcast more new seeds. I'd love a repeat of the gorgeous display last year.

Kind regards, Colin.

View attachment 60504

Looking a mess with spent flowers.

View attachment 60505

After raking which cleared the bulk.

View attachment 60506

This is much tidier having gone over with the petrol mower.

View attachment 60507

The big pile of debris I had to weigh down with stones to prevent the wind giving it to our neighbours across the lane.

View attachment 60508

Simply beautiful.

View attachment 60509

The wildflowers were stunning to behold and I'd like a repeat this year. The seed mix came from "Meadow Mania".
Why not do both? Set the tiller shallow, no need for depth and the seeds will come up as will the ones you plant!

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks for your welcome suggestion DirtMechanic. (y) There are still lots of ground cover type plants on the surface and although I could remove these using a hoe I might just go over with the rotavator and rotovate the lot in to keep improving the soil. Wildflowers thrive on poor soil but this soil is rich and the wildflowers did really well last year so they must like it. I'm sure there will be lots of seeds on the soil given the abundance of flowers so even rotavating at a decent depth will still leave seeds on the surface and as you rightly say I can broadcast more seed too. I'll lose the biennials but at least it keeps the meadow tidy; I could even risk leaving it well alone and let nature do its job?

Blackie put so much rain down during the night I think rotavating is out anyway today but at the moment it's still too dark to see what it's like outside. Whatever I do I'll keep posting because I know quite a few members are interested in wildflowers. I'm not a gardener just making it up as I go along; I like gardening but I also have many other hobbies; at the moment I'm learning TIG welding aluminium.

Kind regards, Colin.

104_1306.JPG

TIG welding practice pieces.

104_1307.JPG

TIG welding kit. An expensive hobby but very interesting at least it is to me.

104_1309.JPG

Straight TIG welding but I've also been practicing with TIG pulse welding. I've so many interesting hobbies but not enough time even though I'm retired. weather permitting I'm working on the bungalow exterior or in the gardens but in our usual dire weather I'm in the workshop; as long as I'm busy I'm happy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I think I will spray my lawn blue today. My wife will look at me crossed because I have no intention of telling her I will be using a dye. I am gifting her the thrill of discovery! I trimmed up suckers and other branches. We had 70 mph wind gusts and 1.25 inch of rain in an hour, but only a few smallish twigs down. Thats a good sign that I am ahead of the game for our annual spring sport of tornado dodging.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Finished the electrics in the garage. there are now four supplies, water heater, power, garage and small room lights and garden lights.
This was probably the last major job I will do. It'll be just regular maintenance from now on, mostly looking after the wooden constructions, as they are under constant attack from the weather.
Took the opportunity to have a good clear out in the garage and took it all down to the tip. You need to ask the question now and again, "am I ever going to use it?"
Big queue, must have been twenty cars in front of me. We are such a throw away society now aren't we?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Finished the electrics in the garage. there are now four supplies, water heater, power, garage and small room lights and garden lights.
This was probably the last major job I will do. It'll be just regular maintenance from now on, mostly looking after the wooden constructions, as they are under constant attack from the weather.
Took the opportunity to have a good clear out in the garage and took it all down to the tip. You need to ask the question now and again, "am I ever going to use it?"
Big queue, must have been twenty cars in front of me. We are such a throw away society now aren't we?
More like a good spring cleaning is underway. At least that is what is happening here. I have been picking up sticks and trimmings all morning and raking edges. I am gettin up the last winter leaves with the lawn sweeper, but since I run the mulching blades I will run around with the strimmer first and call it the first cut of the year. Really its just to give a haircut and put down some prep for spring, though the cool weather grass came up some time ago.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Decided to tackle the moss on the garage roof. The birds have been helping out by removing it a bit at a time and dumping it on the path. But it would take them forever. They would have been more help if they'd also brushed it up instead of leaving it for me to do every other day.

When I say "moss" this is what I mean.

P1030571.JPG

It didn't take long with a narrow blade hoe to scrape it down , a go with a stiff brush , then clear the gutter, an hour and a half.

P1030573.JPG

I can't get at the other side, but whatever falls off will end up in my gutter between the two garages, this runs into the channel under the party fence.
Any loose bits of moss I've left will be swept into the gutter by the "torrential rain" expected this afternoon.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a and arid
Country
United States
This morning I walked out to the garden and did a bunch of cleanup that was neglected last fall. Now all the teepees and stakes are stored away for spring, and much of the old dead plant material is piled up for compost. It looks so barren out there right now, but I know in a few months there will be hundreds of plants settling in for a long productive summer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Decided to tackle the moss on the garage roof. The birds have been helping out by removing it a bit at a time and dumping it on the path. But it would take them forever. They would have been more help if they'd also brushed it up instead of leaving it for me to do every other day.

When I say "moss" this is what I mean.

View attachment 60568

It didn't take long with a narrow blade hoe to scrape it down , a go with a stiff brush , then clear the gutter, an hour and a half.

View attachment 60569

I can't get at the other side, but whatever falls off will end up in my gutter between the two garages, this runs into the channel under the party fence.
Any loose bits of moss I've left will be swept into the gutter by the "torrential rain" expected this afternoon.
We make comments around here that we can grow moss on anything. Maybe its the summer heat, but our moss is thin and nothing like those pictures! The next time the subject comes up I am sure to say "Well I know about this person ...."

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Came back today and did a few checks on my new consumer unit in the garage. Always worth returning and doing this when you aren't under any pressure. All's working as it should.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I came home from golf this afternoon to find the half-full "green bin" had not been emptied by the refuse collectors. This is the first time any bin has not been emptied. There was a pre-printed note attached to the handle explaining that the bin had not been emptied as it "contained either contaminated or non-recylable waste."
A phone call to the local council environmental department was necessary to put them right, that naffin' moss on my garage roof in my garden, was neither contaminated, nor non-recyclable and you didn't have to have a degree in horticulture to be aware of that fact.
I've been assured it will be collected next week.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I put out 50 lbs of grass seed, titan rx, and reset the stihl cultivator to use its straight blades for seeding aeration. I put the lawn sweeper on the mower and pulled up a bag of floated thatch from the last 3" rain...we are way above average already, but it will be so dry in fall it will require watering. I spent some time on my post about replacement plants for the front of the house and in knocking around ran across living concrete.

Ask a Question