What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I've a problem with one of the three light switches that control different lights in the garden.

So I had a look at it today.

The switches are behind the curtains in the lounge next to the French windows.
The power comes from the garage circuit.
There's three sockets in the garage into which the different lighting feeds are plugged.
There's an armoured four core cable plus earth under the patio between the house and the garage.
One core from the garage curcuit supplies the feed to all three switches. Each switch has one of the three other wires as a return, connected to the other side of the sockets.
The suspect socket is live on the mains side but not on the other when the switch is turned on.
The switch is working as it is live on the return side when turned on.

I just have to work out where there is a break.

It could be either where the wires from the switches join the four core cable under the floor boards. (I'll need to get down the trap door in the cupboard under the stairs to get to that)

Where the armoured cable joins individual wires to the sockets, (on the garage wall behind my big work bench which will have to be moved),
Or somewhere behind the panel on which the sockets are mounted.

I'm a bit vague as to how many connections there are, as I put all this in thirty four years ago and everything has worked perfectly until now.
I could just plug everything in to the two sets of sockets thatt are working and not bother, But I like things to be right. So I'll have another look tomorrow.

Spoke to our greenkeeper on the golf course this morning, as he was putting "stuff" on the greens. I try to mirror his treatments with my lawn. He was apparently, putting on a "light feed." As grass grows all year round, I might do the same.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Watch for signs of heat in those wires. I am about to put some "blue stuff" on my lawn. I wonder what comment my wife will have about the dye.

Thanks for that, but all the wiring is in "old fashioned" 7029 cable which is good for more than 2kw. At any one time there's never more than about 500w on the mains lighting and the rest is all low voltage stuff.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Planted pepper seeds. It's a little early but they were old seeds and if they sprout I won't have to buy any this year. And if they don't I will still have plenty of time to order some. If they do sprout I haven't figured out where to grow them indoors yet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Planted pepper seeds. It's a little early but they were old seeds and if they sprout I won't have to buy any this year. And if they don't I will still have plenty of time to order some. If they do sprout I haven't figured out where to grow them indoors yet.

Your post reminded me that I had dug out and sorted some gifted seeds after reading that epic and extensive pepper thread you and ? created last year. Its time to plant them too.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Seeded a few species into my new garden section the other day, and then put another 10 species in wet paper towel in the fridge for the next two months.

IMG_2020 copy.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Didn't do anything in the garden, but did a bit in the garage.
I'm going to put a new consumer unit in it.

It's for the garage and what was the room in which I had my koi pool filters, so a lot of electrical stuff, 2 pumps, UV, air pump, quarantine tank pump, air pumps, heaters.

This one.

P1030166.JPG

P1020605.JPG

I'll remove some of the sockets which were all in use when we had the pool, but are no longer required.

There'll now be be four breakers, for the power, lighting, water heater and garden lighting.

The shed and the tea-house are on a separate supply from the RCCB connected to the main fuse box.

I've mounted the consumer unit on a piece of Contiplas and drilled all the necessary holes for cables. I've to mount this on the garage wall tomorrow on spacers so the wires can come in from the back. On the same board will be the sockets for the garden lighting and the two transformers for the fountain and it's low voltage spotlight. I like the garden lighting on sockets, it's mostly low voltage, on 4 transformers, only three mains coach lamps, so I can ring any changes I want without any "hard wiring."
I'll rig up a temporary power supply to the two freezers and my Budweiser fridge from an extension plugged into a shed socket, the cable can pass through the window between the two rooms. Should be all done over the week-end.

Last edited:

Ask a Question