What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Didn't do anything today as it was too wet, But dry enough to play golf in the morning. Things planned for tomorrow. Should be dry for most of the week.
In the afternoon I watched some tennis and American football I'd recorded on TV
This evening I taught myself to play The Ronettes "Be My Baby" on my leccy piano, then watched "The Dublin Murders" on TV.

I like to keep myself occupied.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I sorted out my pot movers. Spayed all the wheels with WD40 to make sure they move easily, so easy for them to tip over with just three wheels as they are so heavy, cermic pots are so easy to break. The movers are designed that way, as with four wheels they might wobble on uneven patios. A couple of the bases were a bit cracked so I'll be replacing them and getting 4 more for the David Austin roses which are coming at the beginning of next month.

Tried to get some more green ones, but no one has them in stock. So I've ordered these. These have four wheels, but that will be fine as patios are level. Only £4.62 each, plus free delivery.

Still too wet to do any proper gardening, so I watched Kiki Bertens beat No 1 Ashley Barty, on TV. She was only a late replacement as Naomi Osaka baled out injured yesterday. Kiki had been playing in another tournament in China until Sunday. The tounament is for the top 8 players. Bertens is only no10. Prize money for just turning up for this one game, is over $300,000. Not bad for two hours work.
She could go all; the way in this competition.
I uploaded "Be My Baby" to my Yamaha keyboard players' message board.
My piano records to WAV files so I have to use "Audacity" to convert them to mp3s. I don't think it's bad considering I'm just busking it and didn't spend a lot of time on it. This piano has a sophisticated editing suite, which I never use. "What I play is what you get."
I attempted to get a Phil Spector, "wall of sound." Bit more "wall of noise."

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I should have done some leaf clearing today but the lawn was far too wet. I'm hoping it stays dry until Thursday, then I'll tackle them. I may strip some off the wisterias, those that are beginning to turn.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It'll be a lil nippy today (Saturday 11/2/19) in NE Ohio USA. Temps won't get much above the low 40's F with a chance of snow showers. I'll sharpen the Stihl Chain Saw, trim some Norway Spruce Trees, add leaves to my compost bins, clean the house gutters and piddle in the backyard greenhouse.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Our five bare root roses arrived from David Austin today. So they're "in."

I put the tags on stakes at the edge of the pots, as they can easily get buried or lost.

This won't be their final position down the middle of this paved area. Some will end up neare the French windows on the main patio.
But it's a pain to be dancing around a lot of pots on there trying to collect the wisteria leaves.

P1030403.JPG

The acer Palmatums are going their usual "fiery red" at this time of the year. How red they'll go depends how early is the first hard frost.

Although they are already shedding some of their leaves.

P1030404.JPG

P1030405.JPG

This little acer has done very well, big changes in leaf colour during the year.

P1030406.JPG

This was it nine years ago.

P1030231.JPG

When it grew to this size five years ago I shaped it.

P1050297.JPG

"The alleyway of shame." The drive down the side of our house, where under-performing roses end up, between two Mayleen clematis.
The green bin lives there in front of the garage door "as a warning to them to buck their ideas up," otherwise, it's their next move.

P1030402.JPG

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Not much to do in my garden anymore. We had snow a few days ago so everything is covered up for the moment. Won't finish seeding my new gardens until December. I did have plans to expand a couple of my birdhouse gardens, but that'll have to wait until next year.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
I still have things to do in the garden but, the weather hasn't been very good. It's either raining or there's been a frost but,it should be dry later this week coming up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Too wet to do much today.

I bought "four for three" rose/tree/shrub 50ltr compost, for our new roses. I though that might be too much, but I did use two and a bit bags, I used the rest of one bag to top up the other roses in pots.

Our new Acer Palmatum Taylor, is doing well, the leaves are just starting to turn. I'll be pruning it back a bit later in the year as it is a bit leggy.

P1030409.JPG

The blueberry bush behind it produced quite a bit of fruit this year. It's still in a smaller pot inside that ceramic one. but I'll get rid of the plastic one in the winter.

Our Sorbus always delights, with small white blossom in the Spring, bright red berries in the early Autumn now fading as the leaves turn.

P1030407.JPG

These are the last of them.

P1030408.JPG

I've more or less finished shaping our "lollypop acer" in the front garden, though it might need just a bit more in the Spring, depending how it grows. Lots of new growth on it.

Our viburnums are starting to flower.

P1030410.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
zone 6b
Country
United States
just came in from garden. it is cold today 34 degrees. Still have tomatoes on the vine that I was hoping would ripen a bit.
I have 18 raised beds. just put mulched leaves down in 11 of them and covered with tarps. will have to wait for the rest of the leaves to fall to cover the rest.

Ask a Question