What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Last year I did the swing bench on the pergola , 4 coats of good deck floor paint. will be the last time I should do that for a while. this one will get a different finish. then there is the wooden rocker, but I get to move that inside the gazebo for the winter, so I might skip it this year. always something to do.

There was a "Whicker's World," documentary on TV nearly forty years ago. It was on a gated community in the USA where only people of retirement age could purchase a property and live there.

A remark he made has always stuck with me.

They were almost completely independent. The residents as volunteers, ran all the services, mail, security, utilities etc., He said it was a place where, "You got up in the morning with nothing to do and go to bed each night with only half of it done!"

I can always find something to do in the garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Yes, @Sean Regan , they call them "continuing care facilities" or some called "over 55 community" My good friends, just down the street went to one, they are 80 years old. Cost them $4,000.00 a month. Lost of cleaning out of their home first. I am not there yet. Thinking when I finally retire, all this will just be done daily without issues. Like tomorrow and Tuesday, have long day at work with lots of focused stuff. anyway, taking Wednesday and balance of week off.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Yes, @Sean Regan , they call them "continuing care facilities" or some called "over 55 community" My good friends, just down the street went to one, they are 80 years old. Cost them $4,000.00 a month. Lost of cleaning out of their home first. I am not there yet. Thinking when I finally retire, all this will just be done daily without issues. Like tomorrow and Tuesday, have long day at work with lots of focused stuff. anyway, taking Wednesday and balance of week off.
I cannot imagine you not taking care of your area, people, plants, what have you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I planted some radishes, small headed cabbages, thyme, chives, basil, cilantro, sage, zucchini and summer squash as if I did not have enough in the freezer. I do love the fresh yellow squash though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Its cutting grass day. finished 3rd staining on a deck chair--now drying time. Will go about pulling some weeds before taking the mowers out . Have to use the push one is smaller spots. Then the large one for the rest. Rained a bit last night so giving it a couple more hours before heading out. cleaning up breakfast dishes, buttermilk pancakes and fresh saute peaches in butter.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Here's a followup photo of the results of the pea shredding I posted about above. The peas have germinated(second generation) and are growing quickly. I'll probably shred again in early Sept. and then one last time in Nov. The corn that was growing to the right of the peas has now been tilled under and planted with more field peas. I don't know of a better, cheaper, easier way to replenish soils and prevent weeds than legume cover crops.

peas second generation.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Just picked more blueberries and will have to water them tonight.
We have 3 rows of blueberry set tangent to the setting sun and over the last decade or more the first row grew too tall with the sun energy. I just sheared the first and second row down to change the way the sun falls upon all of them in an effort to make it more equal, so we have a southern exposure of short, medium, tall now instead of Tall, medium, medium.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
@DirtMechanic I have them in pots because the soil isn't right for them.Yes i have tall ones and they get taller every year, i should prune them but hubby wouldn't let me, so i just cut out the dieback ones. The black birds had some of them, i didn't cover them properly so they got in. I've got to sort the garden out next month, it's getting like a jungle.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
We're experiencing some strong winds today, so I took the usual precaution of moving our more than a dozen roses etc., in ceramic pots on our patios, over to the sides where they will get a bit of protection. If any of these pots get blown over, they will break.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Picked a bucket of tomatoes, watered the new seeds and emerging seedlings, stared wistfully at the okra I wish I cut 3 days ago, admired the colored peppers, and weeded and pruned 3 tomato plants. That pruning is gonna take a while. I wish is was not so hot. The tomato flowers are struggling. I watered again today. We are in this small area of extreme drought.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've been busy removing the lawn for my new garden expansion. I've got about 80% of it removed. I can hardly wait to see how it looks in a couple years.

DrMike27

Trust me...I’m a doctor.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Started trenching for my new drip system. Only about 40 ish more feet to go.

Attachments

• 8DA97E09-01A1-4F02-9B84-21B969A2BBA4.jpeg
    8DA97E09-01A1-4F02-9B84-21B969A2BBA4.jpeg
    299.5 KB · Views: 80
  • 0160F120-B01E-4A41-B5C8-D52B191370F5.jpeg
    0160F120-B01E-4A41-B5C8-D52B191370F5.jpeg
    286.6 KB · Views: 104

Ask a Question