What can I do to get my Fuchsia healthy again?

Reaction score
Country
United States
My girlfriend bought (what I believe to be) a hybrid fuchsia a few months back (link to pics below). It sits under the awning by the front door which is shaded for most of the day. We live in CT where the weather is hot and humid, particularly this past summer with many weeks of 95 degrees and very humid.

In any event, I'm not entirely sure how often to water it or how else to take care of it so it's healthy and blooming. I read that in a hot environment it will likely be necessary to water it two to three times a week especially since it's in a pot.

For now, I snipped off the old blooms and pruned as best I could. I also added some potting mix and watered it. The last pic in the link below is after I cared for the plant (watered, pruned, etc)

Am I on the right track here? Anything else I can be doing? Appreciate any advice, specific or general!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Remove the potting soil on top of the existing mix. It makes things worse, not better.
Does the pot have a hole in the bottom? If not, make one or move it to a pot that does.
Feed half-strength liquid fertilizer. Keep it moist but not soggy.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Remove the potting soil on top of the existing mix. It makes things worse, not better.
Does the pot have a hole in the bottom? If not, make one or move it to a pot that does.
Feed half-strength liquid fertilizer. Keep it moist but not soggy.

Thank you very much for the reply.

Remove the potting soil on top of the existing mix.
Can you please clarify this? Do you mean that I should remove the potting mix that I have added to the top?

The pot does have a hole in the bottom.

Can you recommend a liquid fertilizer that I can use? I have a Miracle-Gro feeder which attaches to a hose which I used yesterday to water. Is half-strength something I can buy or do I simply dilute it to 50%?

Appreciate your help. I'm a total newbie and trying to learn!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Yes, I did mean remove the soil you added. You mix Miracle-Gro at half strength. 1/2 tablespoon per gallon of water.
You're doing fine. Asking questions is the way to better understanding how it all works.

"When you stop learning, you start dieing"

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, I did mean remove the soil you added. You mix Miracle-Gro at half strength. 1/2 tablespoon per gallon of water.
You're doing fine. Asking questions is the way to better understanding how it all works.

"When you stop learning, you start dieing"
Thanks very much!

Ask a Question