Indoor fuchsia

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I'm a fuchsia junkie. I became addicted last spring while vacationing in southwest England. While there I was fortunate enough to attend an event where John Nicholass was speaking. He's on the committee of the British Fuchsia Society and a show secretary. He spoke about the myths of fuchsias not growing indoors and that given the correct light, humidity, and temperature, they can adapt quite well to indoor environments. I tend to follow the lead of the British when it comes to fuchsias. Let's face it, they were the first to bring this plant to Europe and have been in the forefront of all things fuchsia ever since.

So I begin my foray into growing on fuchsias indoors this winter. I have 12 that I pruned back, potted down in fresh soil, treated with a fungicide/pesticide and have placed in front of 2 large south facing windows just out of reach of direct sunlight. I'm maintaining the temperature between 60-65 degrees and the humidity at or just above 60%. No turning back now!!

The picture I have attached is of an Autumnale that I am experimenting with. I treated it the same as my other fuchsias with the exception of the soil, or non-soil that I planted it in. This is a sterile, soilless bonsai mix consisting of equal parts screened pine bark, turface, lava rock, and crushed granite. It's been in this for a week now and as you can see by the picture, it is showing no signs of shock. I was worried so I took a number of cuttings as insurance policies. That's why it looks rather thin hehe. I will post of picture of this plant every week in case anyone is interested in how it's turning out. Wish me, or my fuchsias rather, luck (y)

20151028_102024.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'd be very interested to hear how you get on - do keep us posted! (y)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Fuchsias are really lovely I agree Java Guy. I have a few in the garden but I find that they go woody and leggy. I'm trying "pinching"
them but there must be an art to it.The flowers are works of art so I'll keep trying. Your project is an interesting one. I'll be watching.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
That is beautiful and I love fuchsia too. I can't keep them indoor since our winter offers very little sunlight and the weather is too cold.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hey Icy. I live in Michigan as well. What I am going to try and do is show everyone that Fuchsia's can indeed be kept growing indoors, even through a Michigan winter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Fuchsia update. I ran out of room in front of my best windows so I had to move all of my fuchsias under lights with the exception of this one I am experimenting with. As you can see, it has been thriving! An inch of new growth on all branches with new side shoots springing from old wood. I also included a picture of where exactly it is growing.

SITTING RIGHT NEXT TO SOUTH WINDOW. I TURN IT DAILY.
20151108_092716.jpg
20151108_092927.jpg

20151108_093015.jpg

Reaction score
Good luck to you and your beautiful plant! Fuchsias are absolutely beautiful plants. Lucky for you, these plants seem to spring back to life fairly easily, at least in my experience. I hope you can bring your babies back to life! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Fuchsia sitting in the bathtub after watering it. It's getting extremely large in a short time...much faster than I anticipated (coke can for scale). Again, the yellow/orange/red parts are the new growth. Such a unique plant. Usually new growth is bright green.

20151116_165803.jpg

Ask a Question