What are your main gardening challenges or problems?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
My only challenge is my back yard becomes a small lake every spring when it rains, but this is what you get when you live in the banks of a very old lake that now is wetlands so I learn to not plant any thing until after the spring rains.

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
What a beautiful little fawn. Was it in your yard?
Yes, and it's two siblings were in the neighbors. We have a ton of deer, and I live in the city. They are not afraid of people. I will be walking the dog on one side of the street and the deer will be walking on the other side.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Yes, and it's two siblings were in the neighbors. We have a ton of deer, and I live in the city. They are not afraid of people. I will be walking the dog on one side of the street and the deer will be walking on the other side.
How amazing. Are they are problem

cas

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
They are a problem to those of us trying to grow gardens! Two neighbors gave up and tore out their gardens. But I know of at least 5 neighbors that are feeding them, so they will stick around. My backyard is fenced, so no problems there, but I am still working out a way to keep the deer from eating my flowers out front.

Reaction score
This summer season I've been having a hard time keeping the flies away from my plants. My garden is near my fish pond so occasionally there are mosquitoes as well. It's hard on the plants as well as the kids, I don't want them to get dengue. I bought this organic spray repellent that I'm trying soon. The heat is also a challenge I'm thinking of making a simple shade for my herbs and flowers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
my biggest problem is my soil! or my rocks and clay i should call it! when i made my 12' by 20ft raspberry patch , i had to till it 3xs. i must have pulled a pick up load of rocks out of it . and our soil is pure hard clay. its so bad rear tine tillers get tore up by rocks jamming in the tines and snapping the shear pins! only the strong front tine tillers will tear it up! and its beats the crap out of you while you're trying to hang on to it. i removed so much rock from that patch it reduced the soil amount about 6in. from the lawn level! every year i till in between rows 2xs and still get a wheelbarrow full of rocks that seem to "grow" in that patch every year! needless to say I'm doing raised beds for my vegetables this spring and using bagged soil! add to that the fact that our 1st. frost is in early sept. and last frost is early june, gardening in n. maine is a challenge and isn't a totally pleasureable task!

Fae

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
My biggest challenge is probably containers. I keep underestimating how big containers need to be, and buying soil and big containers gets to be pricey. I also have an issue with that most are plastic and lightweight and very easily blown over.

My only other problem is living in an apartment. People below us could smoke, or above us could drop things down and damage my plants. And this week and last week they are pressure washing buildings, so I cannot have my plants outside, and I don't have much space or sunny windows.

Ask a Question