Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
17 June 2018 Romaine Lettuce
Posted on June 17, 2018 by Durgan
http://durgan.org/2018/June 2018/17 June 2018 Romaine Lettuce/HTML/17 June 2018 Romaine Lettuce
http://durgan.org/2011/?p=7103 Planting information.
One Romaine lettuce was pulled for the table. The plants are perfect and very large. Even the outer leaves are tender. I pull the outer leaves and work to the center. They have a few more days to full maturity. No chance of E coli from these.
010_std.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Love Romaine Lettuce! Yum yum!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
They look great, but I wouldn't have left them so long before starting the harvest, I'd have been on at least my second or more likely third by this stage.
Much home produce has a peak of quality, and I find that most is better prior to the peak rather than post.
Since you juice them, it matters little, but it may be worth noting for those who don't, as I see a number of folk at the allotments, who do not begin to harvest until their veg is at the very peak, then throw a lot away because it's past its best.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
The Romaine can go almost until it produces seeds and still be tender. I will have about another week. Unfortunately it all peaks at the same time. I only grow eight and if not juiced I give it to my meat eating neighbors. Most probably just discard it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
The Romaine can go almost until it produces seeds and still be tender. I will have about another week. Unfortunately it all peaks at the same time. I only grow eight and if not juiced I give it to my meat eating neighbors. Most probably just discard it.
I've got approx. 80 seedlings of, "Little Gem," which is a mini Romaine, and I'm going to try juicing most of them with cucumbers, which are taking over, 1/2 with dill and basil, 1/2 with coriander, (cilantro) parsley and a little celery salt.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
You need not be very precise what is added to the juicing pot. I usually add what is readily available. Cucumbers make a good juice. Mine are not ready yet. Be generous when adding water. I find just covering seems to be about right even without measuring. I also mix the jar and consume a liter per day. It appears to be healthy. It is a case of juice the plants or lose them. Juicing is simple to implement and is very safe pressure canning.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have got a few heads of Romaine planted that I started from the stumps of store bought. I also have a couple stalks of celery that I started the same way.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Look at the statistics.
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/obesity-overweight.htm Percent of adults aged 20 and over with overweight, including obesity: 70.7% (2013-2014

What do you suggest?
That is a symptom of a society where people have to work at levels where they don't have time to prepare healthy food and must eat processed foods high in fat, salt and sugar, to which they become addicted.
For my dinner tonight it's home-grown potatoes, courgettes which I picked earlier, and chicken breast cooked in a parcel in the oven with some garden herbs (oregano, chives and parsley) a little celery salt and a tiny knob of butter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Tender but bitter.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Tender but bitter.

The big heads of lettuce shown in my first post on the subject have absolutely no bitterness. The white inside tastes exactly as do the outer leaves. Those heads weight 3 to 4 pounds and are a chore to use up. I left the washed root on and have one head in a large pot with some water to extend freshness.

Ask a Question