Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Love Romaine Lettuce! Yum yum!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
They look great, but I wouldn't have left them so long before starting the harvest, I'd have been on at least my second or more likely third by this stage.
Much home produce has a peak of quality, and I find that most is better prior to the peak rather than post.
Since you juice them, it matters little, but it may be worth noting for those who don't, as I see a number of folk at the allotments, who do not begin to harvest until their veg is at the very peak, then throw a lot away because it's past its best.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
The Romaine can go almost until it produces seeds and still be tender. I will have about another week. Unfortunately it all peaks at the same time. I only grow eight and if not juiced I give it to my meat eating neighbors. Most probably just discard it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The Romaine can go almost until it produces seeds and still be tender. I will have about another week. Unfortunately it all peaks at the same time. I only grow eight and if not juiced I give it to my meat eating neighbors. Most probably just discard it.
I've got approx. 80 seedlings of, "Little Gem," which is a mini Romaine, and I'm going to try juicing most of them with cucumbers, which are taking over, 1/2 with dill and basil, 1/2 with coriander, (cilantro) parsley and a little celery salt.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
You need not be very precise what is added to the juicing pot. I usually add what is readily available. Cucumbers make a good juice. Mine are not ready yet. Be generous when adding water. I find just covering seems to be about right even without measuring. I also mix the jar and consume a liter per day. It appears to be healthy. It is a case of juice the plants or lose them. Juicing is simple to implement and is very safe pressure canning.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
You need not be very precise what is added to the juicing pot.
With the greatest respect Durgan, some of the stuff you consume, I would not touch with a bargepole, regardless its nutritional qualities.
Eating is still, to me, something of a pastime.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have got a few heads of Romaine planted that I started from the stumps of store bought. I also have a couple stalks of celery that I started the same way.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Look at the statistics.
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/obesity-overweight.htm Percent of adults aged 20 and over with overweight, including obesity: 70.7% (2013-2014

What do you suggest?
That is a symptom of a society where people have to work at levels where they don't have time to prepare healthy food and must eat processed foods high in fat, salt and sugar, to which they become addicted.
For my dinner tonight it's home-grown potatoes, courgettes which I picked earlier, and chicken breast cooked in a parcel in the oven with some garden herbs (oregano, chives and parsley) a little celery salt and a tiny knob of butter.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Tender but bitter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Tender but bitter.
The big heads of lettuce shown in my first post on the subject have absolutely no bitterness. The white inside tastes exactly as do the outer leaves. Those heads weight 3 to 4 pounds and are a chore to use up. I left the washed root on and have one head in a large pot with some water to extend freshness.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Indeed. If no-one had ever attempted it before.
I don’t know where the animosity toward having fun in my garden comes from, but I am retired and have plenty of time to “waste” on trying things that are new to me. It is far better to be out in my garden or working on my trees than rotting in front of a television. Maybe I should spend less time on the computer too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Woah, I'm worried things are getting a little out of hand here. Surely we are love gardening because we delight in seeing the miracle of growth for ourselves? Just because someone else has done it doesn't mean there is no joy in witnessing it. Live and let live.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don’t know where the animosity toward having fun in my garden comes from, but I am retired and have plenty of time to “waste” on trying things that are new to me. It is far better to be out in my garden or working on my trees than rotting in front of a television. Maybe I should spend less time on the computer too.
Sarcasm is not animosity.
I bear you no animosity; I was poking fun at the process, rather than you
It's just that there are countless videos of shop-bought produce being "regrown" and the results tend to be, at best, meagre, and usually unrewarding.
Yes it is much better to be out in the garden, in my opinion, so why not grow 2 lettuces from 2 seeds?
Far more worthwhile outcome, far better produce, much more rewarding, cost effective.

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question