Welcome to Esther's Gardens, Parkesburg, PA, Chester County, USA

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
My camera could not catch the wings, they were going so fast. have to try a different setting next time.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Did you make or buy that nectar, Esther? Can I make it myself please? Anyone knows the right amount or ratio please?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Did you make or buy that nectar, Esther? Can I make it myself please? Anyone knows the right amount or ratio please?
I make my own. Ratio, I really don't measure exact. but for the first part of the season I make it a little more sugar. its ruffly 1/2 cup sugar to 2 cups of water, bring to boil, cool off, put in a clean jar with lid, put in fridge till really cold, Then put some in feeder. I make enough to have for a couple weeks. I never fill that feeder up in the picture, its a waste. I only fill about like you see it, about 2 fingers high. Unless you have a ton of birds, I and I never use food coloring. Then my next batch is a little less sugar. Have to pour out unused weekly as it can start to ferment . If the temp gets extra hot outside, I might change it every 5 days instead of 7 days. That is why I only use a little each time and keep a jar of it in the fridge. And they seem to like that type of feeder, they will land on it and sit on those red loop things. This one was new, which replaced one I had for years, almost the same, but this one comes apart better to really clean it out well inside.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Also have in my garden three types of plants that they so far have obviously love. The early blooming Virginia Blue bells, my honeysuckle vine on my deck and the late blooming Yellow wax bell. I have seen them hit the Phlox some but not as much as the other three. And I don't see them hit the lilies either, which you'd think they would. I also have a bee palm they like, should get a few more of those. So I guess if you try to get something blooming through the seasons that helps also. Last summer, we seemed to have 2 pair visiting us, as I did see 3 at a time, so assumed there was a 4th somewhere. Usually I only see one at a time. @alp

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
@NE Ohio John , Oh, I know Akron, Ohio. worked at the hospital there for a while in 1981. Anyway, ---you question "when do I put out my Hummingbird feeders" it is when the Virginia Blue bells bloom and they attract the hummers. They bloom about early May. So as soon as I see the hummers attacking the Bells, I get my feeder out. We still are risky to get a frost here before (American's ) Mother's Day.

BTW, if your really into Hummers, and want to plan a wonderful vacation, go to Ramsey Canyon, AZ, first week in September, 20 spices of hummers arrive to migrate. it is something else. Many of the B&B there know birder are there for the hummers and help by hanging feeders around also. But the park near by has 20 feeders in a row, filled by hummers. The sound is unreal. One of my best vacation memories. and I go to lots of places.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ester:
I'll have to puyt Ramsey Canyon on my "Bucket List". It sounds memorable.

I've had sporadic success with HB Feeders despite my efforts of putting out multiple units and planting lots of flowers. Hopefully my luck will change this season.

Love your gardens.

NEOhio John

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
@NE Ohio John , other things to also do in that area is Tombstone--that is a fun place, not a far drive. And Bisby, cute historic mining town. Forgot the name of the B&B we stayed in, but it on a ranch situation, and it had unique cabins. Not badly priced from what I recall. The kitchen filled with all sorts of food to eat already, and she dropped off fresh baked things every morning. You can make your own coffee in the little kitchen. She kept two hummers filled just outside the little cabin. There are so many, and they are assertive hummers, you can sit almost only 4 feet from them and they don't scare off, good for camera shots. The cabin also had binoculars to use, and books on birds in the area. Found the weather to be nice then, 85 day and 65 sleeping. Think I have to go back again and re-do this vacation. The other thing to keep in mind if your over in AZ that time is there is a Jazz Festival in Sedona sometime in September ( I believe) I need to coordinate that with a hummer trip . BTW Sedona a must see place also. Fly into Phenoix and you travel on highway 10, a 8 car lane (scary a little) to get south to Ramsey C. Anyway, what we did after a week we went north to stay in Sedona (second time) but I used the map to take scenic routes up north, and meandered that way, so beautiful That state is nice.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
@MaryMary I mostly have perennials . Zinnias are annuals. I have had Zinnias in the past, put in some huge pots, the hummers never hit on them. Had the moon flower vine last year, an annual, hummers never got on that flower either.

Think I need another bee palm this spring to put somewhere, they like those.

Ask a Question